Senior Pairs Long Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Long Program

Thank you, hrm, for making it plain how the media messes things up.

As one who used to earn my bread by working with the media, I get very tired of hearing media reports treated like the gospel. I really think that every quote in a media report should be double-checked with the person quoted. Of course that person will never own up to a bad quote. Nevertheless, that would mean some kind of check and balance. Without that the media has too much authority.

For all we know, in 100 years that NBC account may be the sole record of what happened at these Nationals. :eek:

cornell08

Final Flight
Some thoughts:

I'm excited that the US pairs this Nationals have all been really strong. Jim Peterson is definitely going to be a USFSA darling-- I feel like this is the start of a Bin Yao-like pairs skating program for him. Its alot to be proud of to have home grown talent on the ice as well as on the sidelines. While US ice dancing is getting stronger and stronger its not quite the same when its Russian coaches who are also coaching a top Canadian team.

I'm fine with I/B placing behind E/L because first 1) their throw triple axel had almost no speed and the commentators were even surprised she landed it with that entrance 2) I/B have been to the Olympics and E/L are like the second oldest team having competed in 8 senior nationals so I feel like the 'they just want to send the younger teams' argument is pretty moot. That no-hands lift had a bigger wow-factor for me than the throw triple axel.

Dobbs/Jacobsen really impressed me with their yellow river concerto program! They're the perfect build-match, relate well to each other/music and skate with so much speed!

I'm still a bit sad for Yankowskas/Coughlin. I think she got nervous/too excited what with their second place short program placement and all. She's so cute though, I was at the edge of my seat hoping they wouldn't fall.

M/B might have stayed on their feet but the performance was still a sloppy one. Felt bad about that camera trailing Keaunu as she was leaving the rink in tears though..

Apparently Barrett and Evora have been dating for a while now? Is this only news to me? I wonder if the rumor of an engagement posted on Inside Edge with Sarah and Drew was about them. Too bad-- this would have been the perfect timing/occasion!

This makes me relieved that Ladies/Mens may actually be surprising. I bet this will put pressure on the favorites and light a fire beneath the underdogs. Wow, I'm actually excited for Ladies now...

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
John Baldwin disses USFS (and Evora & Ladwig)...

"You want to use us (at Worlds) to help you save a spot because you don't think the other team (Evora and Ladwig) are good enough to keep that other spot," Baldwin said he told a U.S. Figure Skating official in turning down the Worlds position.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-229525--.html

I don't like Baldwin or his attitude, but he has a point and is not afraid to speak up.... Take a look at Evora & Ladwig's personal best scores internationally and they aren't pretty.... a 51 in the SP and a 97 in the LP. I hate to pick on E/L here, but facts are facts... They've never medaled in a Grand Prix event (I'm not sure if they've even ever come close), they've never made a World team, and they've never scored well. Shouldn't an Olympic team selection be in part made based on who can actually score well there? If you skate well there and still score poorly, was that really a good selection?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just had enough time to watch the Pairs, then off I went to the movies with my niece & nephew, so only now am I able to give my impressions. :)

First off I have to say that I&B blew me away....first time ever!....I was almost as emotional as Rena when it ended. And John made me LOL when Rena landed the throw 3A, he kinda threw out his hands & looked at the judges like "take that"!:biggrin: Therefore I was totally shocked & disappointed when they came in third. No way. If I were the judges I would give it to them (i.e. second place). JMHO.

And of course D&B were the top of the field, no question about it, blew everybody else away. Easy as 1-2-3. They make all the elements look so simple & easy. One can just sit back & enjoy with no worries.:cool:

Lastly, Keauna & Rockne were heartbreaking, just so so sad. The whole performance was tentative, just trying to hang on, and it showed. :( Such a beautiful couple, it's just too bad that all their problems culminated at Nationals. Hopefully they stay in for the next four years, but who knows????

:rock:CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE MEDALISTS!:rock:

cornell08

Final Flight
I wonder if I/B would be in second overall if John hadn't thrown up his hands to the judges after the throw triple....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually that quote doesn't diss Amanda and Mark at all, he's saying that the USFSA is dissing E/L by suggesting they should not go to worlds and Rena and John should. I am actually impressed with how he's handling this.

When do we find out who made the Olympic Team?
Happy new year Tonichelle.

OMG! hey stranger! how the heck have you been?????????

Medusa

Record Breaker
He has kind of a point. I mean, sending them to World sounds a bit like the USFSA wants to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand they want to be fair and everything, sending Evora/Ladwig to the Olympics - where the US frankly has nothing to lose, because no US-Team is likely to medal. But on the other hand, where they do have something to lose, at the Worlds, they want the old guns to seal the deal. I/B and D/B even could secure 3 spots for Worlds 2011, one of them placing 8th and the other 5th is not that much of a long shot.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I'll chime in here. I think Nationals (in every country) should send to the Olympics whomever places in the top spots -- period. Otherwise, what's the point of Nationals?

For one, it's the Olympic Trials, so there's lots of pressure. To me, the ones who can withstand that kind of pressure and skate great are the ones who have a real shot at handling even greater pressure at the Olympics.

At the point of Olympic Trials and the Olympics themselves, it's no longer about who is a good skater--it's about who can deliver when it counts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'll chime in here. I think Nationals (in every country) should send to the Olympics whomever places in the top spots -- period. Otherwise, what's the point of Nationals?

For one, it's the Olympic Trials, so there's lots of pressure. To me, the ones who can withstand that kind of pressure and skate great are the ones who have a real shot at handling even greater pressure at the Olympics.

At the point of Olympic Trials and the Olympics themselves, it's no longer about who is a good skater--it's about who can deliver when it counts.

Just a technical point, which has been mentioned before -- the Nationals officially are not a Olympics trials event because USFSA did not want to lose the rights to the event to the USOC. Also as mentioned the committee takes into account six events in the past year -- GPF, JGPF, 4CC, Worlds, Jr. Worlds, and Nationals.

I do agree that Nationals should count for the biggest part. The Olympics is a one-shot type of thing, so why shouldn't qualifying it be? In other sports you only have that one shot.

I think the scoring was pretty fair. I/B may had the Throw Triple Axel, but they did double on the SBS, losing points. And yes Amanda had that fall on the Lutz, but they made up on those really awesome lifts.

I think it was great of I/B to gracefully accept the decision. I think they know that other teams need to have the Olympics experience.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
He has kind of a point. I mean, sending them to World sounds a bit like the USFSA wants to have their cake and eat it too. On the one hand they want to be fair and everything, sending Evora/Ladwig to the Olympics - where the US frankly has nothing to lose, because no US-Team is likely to medal. But on the other hand, where they do have something to lose, at the Worlds, they want the old guns to seal the deal. I/B and D/B even could secure 3 spots for Worlds 2011, one of them placing 8th and the other 5th is not that much of a long shot.

Yep, I'd agree with this exactly. If they are not going to 4CC and not going to Worlds, can we assume that I/B have, in effect, made it clear they will be retiring from competitive skating?

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I am thrilled for Caydee & Jeremy!!:love::clap::rock: Im sad for my neighbors who probably heard me screaming though. LOL:laugh:

I am sooo happy for Mark & Amanda:yes::clap: and quite happy that they get to go to the Olympics.

I am very sad for Keauna & Rockne:frown: I was in shock from the short program and was REALLY hoping that they would be on the podium with Caydee, Jeremy, Amanda & Mark...but that didnt happen & seeing Keauna in tears broke my heart:cry:

I was also sad for Caitlin & John. I was hoping they could hold on for at least a podium finish after Keauna & Rockne failed to make the podium. I think Caitlin got too excited/nervous. Hopefully next year will go better for them. I am sad NBC/Universal Sports didnt show their short program. I guess I'll just have to watch it on Icenetwork.

Although they had some problems I still thought Brooke & Ben looked very nice:yes:

I was also pleased with Dobbs/Jacobsen. They did really well, and in one of thier throws, my boyfriend & I noticed that it looked as if she floated down to the ice:agree: I hope she does well in singles later in the week.

and although I didnt get my team that I was hoping for/expecting: McLaughlin & Brubaker, Denney & Barrett...I will gladly take take Evora & Ladwig in thier place.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am thrilled for Caydee & Jeremy!!:love::clap::rock: Im sad for my neighbors who probably heard me screaming though. LOL:laugh:

I am sooo happy for Mark & Amanda:yes::clap: and quite happy that they get to go to the Olympics.

I am very sad for Keauna & Rockne:frown: I was in shock from the short program and was REALLY hoping that they would be on the podium with Caydee, Jeremy, Amanda & Mark...but that didnt happen & seeing Keauna in tears broke my heart:cry:

I was also sad for Caitlin & John. I was hoping they could hold on for at least a podium finish after Keauna & Rockne failed to make the podium. I think Caitlin got too excited/nervous. Hopefully next year will go better for them. I am sad NBC/Universal Sports didnt show their short program. I guess I'll just have to watch it on Icenetwork.

Although they had some problems I still thought Brooke & Ben looked very nice:yes:

I was also pleased with Dobbs/Jacobsen. They did really well, and in one of thier throws, my boyfriend & I noticed that it looked as if she floated down to the ice:agree: I hope she does well in singles later in the week.

Your post sums up practically all of my feelings about the pairs event. While I am heartbroken for Keauna & Rockne, I am over the moon for Amanda & Mark. :love: :biggrin: Last year they also skated a wonderful free skate, and NBC in its profound stupidity didn't show the program (which earned them a huge standing ovation, IIRC - we were there). I was jumping for joy watching them skating, and witnessing their reactions in the K&C and the post interview. I do hope that Keauna & Rockne put this experience behind them, and come back stronger than ever.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So sad for Keuana and Rockne, but I do think it's fair that they are not going. If they had been in 3rd place I think maybe they should have gone, but all the way down in 5th it's hard to justify doing that. They have been having some trouble this past season too. Keauna is gorgeous :love:.

Soo excited for the Olympic Pairs teams though!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, how comforting for Amanda and Mark to know that the USFSA has such little faith in their abilities. :rolleye: I hope they prove them wrong!! GO Evora/Ladwig!!:love:

There are 4 Nationals leading up to the Olys. Which one should it be? and Why that one? Does it show the strongest which IS THE POINT of the Olys?

Just a technical point, which has been mentioned before -- the Nationals officially are not a Olympics trials event because USFSA did not want to lose the rights to the event to the USOC. Also as mentioned the committee takes into account six events in the past year -- GPF, JGPF, 4CC, Worlds, Jr. Worlds, and Nationals.

I do agree that Nationals should count for the biggest part. The Olympics is a one-shot type of thing, so why shouldn't qualifying it be? In other sports you only have that one shot.

I think the scoring was pretty fair. I/B may had the Throw Triple Axel, but they did double on the SBS, losing points. And yes Amanda had that fall on the Lutz, but they made up on those really awesome lifts.

I think it was great of I/B to gracefully accept the decision. I think they know that other teams need to have the Olympics experience.
Good post!!!
Only one luckly competition does not spell out THE STRONGEST PARTICIPANT(S) which the Oys demand.

The only sport afaik that uses a Trial is Track and Field and probably only the US. Can you imagine Jamaica refusing that dazzaler to the Olys because he sprained an ankle the night before?

Personally, I think the results of the Nats are in order for the Olys noting that E/L results are less than 1point stronger than I/B.

Further I would have M/B be on the Team if their LP showed what they normally do regardless of final placement. But it didn't, which showed me they were not good under fire.

The Olympics wll demand FIRE. Who can compete under fire?

janetfan

Match Penalty
The Olympics wll demand FIRE. Who can compete under fire?

It is pretty obvious that the fire at Natls is HOT. If a skater can't take it at Natls then the odds are they would get scorched at the Olympics.

A skater/team might still get burned badly at the Olympics but it makes sense to take the one who can survive the fire at Natls.

I can't imagine how a little GP event with NO real fire could ever, under any circumstances, be considered the equal of Natls. And results from a year ago are old and prove only that a year ago a skater did OK.

What matters most is who can take the fire of Natls right now, a few weeks before facing the fire of the Olympics.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
After the pairs event and the men's SP, I'm wondering if Sasha doesn't have that ladies olympic spot bagged after all. I hope not, I really want to see fair judging.