Senior Mens LP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens LP

Jemy

Rinkside
Johnny's SP was good but I really felt like he did not put his heart and soul into the LP at all, I thought it was boring. Ryan and Adam's FS were deservedly ahead of Johnny's because Johnny's was boring.

Evan was tense in the SP i'll admit, but apart from the mistakes in the LP, I thought it was beautiful. He has a great quality to his skating.

I believe that only one Johnny put heart and soul into their skating. So it was in his LP, and so he always skate. He is one of the most artistic skaters. Mistakes of Evan were rough, and Johnny unfairly placed third, but not second.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
Evan's uniform was certainly "other-worldly". He would have been better off wearing his normal, boring all-black.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Evan's uniform was certainly "other-worldly". He would have been better off wearing his normal, boring all-black.

Evan looks too skinny when he wears all black, I liked the gray top and thought the black designs on top made him look broader-shouldered.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRV5_aXDtg

Under the 6.0 ordinal rule, if you're in the top 5 after the SP and if you're in the top 3 in the LP, you'd medal. In this case, he was 6th after the SP, and 2nd after the LP. Would that be enough to medal?

Johnny Weir really likes the 6.0 system. Well, he could be sitting at home if we're still under the 6.0 system.

Maybe yes, maybe no,:rolleye:
Mathematically, if Weir was skating like the same with the COP, but with 6.0 system, it might be.

But under 6.0 system, there weren’t so many rules including maximizing jumping structure and psychologically, he could skate more freely without thinking those rules, he might have often skated clean with more room for concentration on his artistry. As a result he could be always in the top 3 and would not have to stay at home as well.
Who knows ? You can make many scenarios, conveniently for whatever you want. :laugh:

Figure skating is kind of like a mind game and with this COP system it’s also a stamina contest, so whoever of the top level skaters make their mind-set correctly, preparing their stamina well ,could win. IMO.

Last edited:

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I get really annoyed with Evan's programs because of the min-maxing of points. If he'd put a little more heart into it, he might sell it to me. But it looks like he just skates back and forth doing a lot of fast turns and kicks in the air, and scores a ton of points for it. Ugh.

Johnny skates with his heart on his sleeve, and that's why I love to watch him (well that, and the gorgeous line). I'm hoping he pulls off his very best at the Olympics, regardless of placement. I wish he'd rip off a quad and shock everyone, but I realize how unlikely that is.

futureidol

On the Ice
I believe that only one Johnny put heart and soul into their skating. So it was in his LP, and so he always skate. He is one of the most artistic skaters. Mistakes of Evan were rough, and Johnny unfairly placed third, but not second.

So true Jemy, only Johnny put his heart and soul out there! His SP was sublime and his FS was so good except the two jump mistakes. Evan was sloppy and slow and the miss on the quad was big. Weir's PCS should have been higher. They need a better system for artistic scores. No problem with the TES.

I love what Johnny stands for. How he strives to keep artistry and beauty in Men's skating like male skaters Cranston, Wylie, Galindo, Yagudin and others did before him. Without him men's skating would be so dull. For me with Johnny it's not about the medals being number one, it's about the joy I get out of watching how stunningly, effortlessly, and creatively he skates. He is just like an angel. He has never been a "fallen one" in my heart. I will love him regardless of how he places in Vancouver. I just want him to be the best Johnny he can be. I know he can do it. He is so trained and focused. GO JOHNNY!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So true Jemy, only Johnny put his heart and soul out there!

I dunno Jeremy and Ryan also gave it their all... Ryan was emotional afterwards. Just because it was fun it doesn't mean it didn't mean a great deal to him to have that type of skate, at that moment.

futureidol

On the Ice
I dunno Jeremy and Ryan also gave it their all... Ryan was emotional afterwards. Just because it was fun it doesn't mean it didn't mean a great deal to him to have that type of skate, at that moment.

Woah totally not knocking either of them. I loved Ryan's FS, it was a huge accomplishment as far as jumps go... but the between elements were very weak and he received a generous gift from the judges in the PCS. Also thought his performance of that program was much better at Skate America. That being said he was definitely one of the highlights of the event and if I had super powers I'd magically make a 4th spot for the US men for him. But if his FS was a highlight, so was Weir's SP, and Abbott's FS of course (not quite as keen on his SP from an aesthetic and music point, but skated very well). I just felt Johnny's emotion the most in his performances. It's a personal thing, not saying the other guys didn't lay it out there at points either. I'm proud of our guys.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Evan looks best in all black. The gray was rather distracting.

Oh, I liked the gray, I really did. For me, the solid black makes him look _too_ tall, almost gangly. The gray gives him a nicer proportion to my eye. I don't much like all the gathers/folds/whatever or the epaulets, but I really found the gray color a very nice choice.

Can't decide on Jeremy's blue shirt v. the tux, though!

jcoates

Medalist
Agreed. Jeremy really let himself go yesterday. Evan seemed a bit tense, like he was feeling out his new program layout. Johnny seemed cautious, especially after the popped axel.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For me, the solid black makes him look _too_ tall, almost gangly. The gray gives him a nicer proportion to my eye. I don't much like all the gathers/folds/whatever or the epaulets, but I really found the gray color a very nice choice.

I agree! Even his arm movements didn't look so flappy to me...

kareliz

Rinkside
I just watched the men's long again, and was able to enjoy it so much more. The first viewing, my heart was beating too hard, and I felt anxious about Johnny, so I didn't really see it. So, on second viewing...

Evan is confident, his jump technique has improved alot, he is pretty consistent, he is in terrific shape, but he just doesn't move me. He is dynamic but not musical.

I was initially disappointed with Johnny, but when I looked again - ah! One movement of his arms is so beautiful and expressive! I know he doesn't have the jump content some of the other guys have, but his transitions, footwork, spins and quality of jump landings are just a pleasure to behold. I really hope he keeps his nerves at bay and delivers a terrific performance at the Olympics, one that he can be proud of no matter what the outcome. I just love his edges, his arms and his spirit.

Jeremy was fantastic - confident, fast, good technical content. I don't think he has matured as a musical or expressive skater, but he was very good.

I think our men's team is terrific and I am excited to see how they will do.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
I have a feeling that Johnny really well at the Olympics and go out with a splash. I think he got completely overwhelmed with the pressure to make the Olympic team that he made a few errors in the process, but he didn't implode by any means. I'm sure he's aiming for a medal, but there's no pressure on him nationally to get one.

futureidol

On the Ice
I was initially disappointed with Johnny, but when I looked again - ah! One movement of his arms is so beautiful and expressive! I know he doesn't have the jump content some of the other guys have, but his transitions, footwork, spins and quality of jump landings are just a pleasure to behold. I really hope he keeps his nerves at bay and delivers a terrific performance at the Olympics, one that he can be proud of no matter what the outcome. I just love his edges, his arms and his spirit.

Johnny's USFSC FS really is better upon 2nd viewing, 3rd viewing, and 4th! If you just mentally block his two jump mistakes, it's a great performance and all the other elements are not only solid, but spectacular with moments of the sublime. I hope he can skate both programs to their fullest potential in Vancouver. All that matters is he skates his best, and if a medal happens so be it!