Senior Mens LP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Senior Mens LP

chloepoco

Medalist
Congratulations to Evan, Johnny and especially Jeremy!! Jeremy was absolutely perfect! Wow, and Yuka is stunning!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
If Scott Hamilton doesn't sign Ryan Bradley to a SOI contract, he's crazy. That boy will become a pro star! If both he & Johnny are retiring then that will move Mroz & Hochstein onto our GP team. Could be a very young & inexperienced group next year on the International circuit.

I can't get over that skate of Abbott's! I hope it's just the first of many completely tremendous programs he lays down.

I was especially pleased to see that Yuka and Jason are his coaches. Yuka is one of my favorite skaters ever, and to see how effective she's been at getting Jeremy focused is just delightful. I'm sure her father, one of Japan's great coaches, is very proud of her.

Evan was kind of nervous, but it wouldn't have been helped if he had not been. Jeremy is the champ. over and out.

Johnny can not do much better except to work on a clean skate. His technical is limited and I fear an attemped quad in Vancouver will be either lucky or not.

Jeremy is the big surprise. He has managed the evil butterflies and his consistency keeps working.

The top men at the Olys will be: Evgeni, Brian, Daisuke, Nobunari, Tomas, and maybe Stephane. if everyone skates their best, how would you fit in the 3 Americans?

Euros results should be flowing in tomorrow. Let's check out the four of them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They did? :laugh: It was downgraded to a triple, with -3 GOE and -1 for the fall = 0.00 points overall for the element.

well in all fairness it wasn't Scott or Sandy who said it, I believe it was the color commentator, is it Al T or Tom Hammond? I can never get those two straight but they're both horrid at figure skating commentary...

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I am really happy for Johnny tonight. He had a fantastic short. I was relieved that he didn't fall apart after that single axel. He was able to keep it together. I would rather see him peak at the Olympics;) It also seems that the US bronze medalist gets lucky at big events anymore;) Hats off to Jeremey, I just hope he didn't peak too soon. As for Evan's artistic ability is starting to resemble a mental patient having a seizure. No feeling it seems but that's just my opinion, I liked him better when he was younger, artistically I think he tries to hard to be something he's not. Best of luck to the three of them!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The top men at the Olys will be: Evgeni, Brian, Daisuke, Nobunari, Tomas, and maybe Stephane. if everyone skates their best, how would you fit in the 3 Americans? .

I think:

1.) Plushy
2.) Joubert
3.) Abbott
4.) Oda
5.) Lysacek
6.) Verner (if standard-if clean, easily top 3, if implodes, rounding out the top guns)
7.) Daisuke
8.) Weir
9.) Lambiel

But really it depends on who hits the quads and 4-3s and who splats and pops.

shine

Record Breaker
I think:

1.) Plushy
2.) Joubert
3.) Abbott
4.) Oda
5.) Lysacek
6.) Verner (if standard-if clean, easily top 3, if implodes, rounding out the top guns)
7.) Daisuke
8.) Weir
9.) Lambiel

But really it depends on who hits the quads and 4-3s and who splats and pops.
So Lambiel skating best will be 9th in this crop? and Takahashi 7th? Okay?

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I had wanted to comment earlier but got distracted with other things.

First, a wonderful, powerful, beautiful program by Jeremy!! No question who's the champ!! Not even sure if Evan could have beaten Jeremy with clean skates. It would have been close. I hope Jeremy will skate up to his potential at the Olympics because his skating is great! He's definitely a contender for the gold. I wonder if he'll include a quad in the SP at the Olympics?

Evan, I have to take my hat off to him for changing your program by adding the quad. It was very brave. It didn't work out for him this time but he still skated strong. That showed his mental and physical strength. Is he going to keep the quad for the Olympics? I guess it will depend on the situation. Good luck at Vancouver and perhaps US could have more than one on the podium for men singles competition.

Johnny did well enough to punch his ticket to Vancouver. Not a perfect free skate but didn't fall apart either. He'll hopefully peak at the Olympic. Good luck Johnny!

Ryan, what a fun skater. It's too bad he not on the Olympic team... this is a bit like the Japanese women team when Yukari got left off the team. Loved his quads and the whimsical free skate. Good luck in your pro career Ryan!

Adam... he really has to work on his triple Axels. I guess Orser, Mr. Triple Axel, haven't been able to fix your 3A yet. Still, you have a lot of promise to keep up the hard work and do better next year at Grand Prix competitions and hopefully the World Championship.

It was a great men singles competition. Better than even the Japanese men competition. What talent US has in their men. Present and the future. Armin could be really good in a couple years too. I also think that US nationals may be the least inflated in terms of points of all the nationals this year. Bravo, what a great show! :clap::clap:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Tried to post on this site earlier but I couldn't get on here.

First of all, I am so happy for Jeremy! That was a fantastic program and he skated perfectly!:bow::bow::bow: Finally, US has had a world class quad skater.:) Even though Evan has skated a few successful quad jumps a couple of years ago, I don't think he belongs to this category. Sorry, Frank Carroll, Evan is not even the best skater in US, not to mention the world.:p

I wish Jeremy could repeat his Nationals performances at Vancouver. If he does, plus if a few top guys bumped, we could see him on the Olympics podium.:agree:

I agree that Evan got a tough decision to make, quad or no quad in Vacouver?
It was good that he could forget about the fall on quad, and did a semi clean program with "passion". Passion is a fashonable word to discribe Evan's skating now, isn't it?:laugh:

I believe that my heart has skipped a few beats during Johnny and Jeremy's performances. I am relieved that Johnny has made the Olympics team, but I was not impressed with his LP. There are not much potential that he could do with it. The music wasn't impressive, the performance wasn't strong enough. I don't think he would even try to add a quad considering his track record with the quad jumps. So the best he can do with some help from other skaters will be stay in the top 6 in Vancouver. Sorry, Johnny fans, that's what I believe.

I like Rippon's skating very much minus his backward crossover. That was labored. It didn't look pretty.

Don't really like Amin.

I agree that Bradley will be a great, great show performer. His LP was very slow but intertaining. Unbelievable that he made two quad jumps!:agree:

The top men at the Olys will be: Evgeni, Brian, Daisuke, Nobunari, Tomas, and maybe Stephane. if everyone skates their best, how would you fit in the 3 Americans?

If everyone skates their best, I would say:

1. Plushenko
2. Lambiel
3. Joubert
4. Takahashi
5. Verner
6. Abbott
7. Oda
8. Lysacek
9. Kozuka
10. Weir

However, I think it could never be this ideal. So the best is probably like this:

1. Plushenko
2. Joubert
3. Takahashi
4. Lambiel
5. Abbott
6. Lysacek
7. Oda
8. Weir
9. Kozuka
10. Verner

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So Lambiel skating best will be 9th in this crop? and Takahashi 7th? Okay?

I don't know! It's so hard! They are all really good! I was thinking in terms of points like who has quads and stuff, but Oda and Evan always have huge PCS so that's why they were higher. In reality it will just come down to who messes up and who doesn't. Jeremy was amazing today, but struggles a fair amount of the time. We have yet to see Verner be great through an entire performance, but if he ever was, I think the result would be a lot like Jeremy's today. So yeah, Johnny should be at the bottom just because of technical limitations.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Seems like people really don't think Chan is any good anymore...

Chan is amazing!!! But he doesn't always do his 3-3.

Too many men are good this year and they are all almost equally good, and inconsistent, so it's harder. I really want Verner to medal, his talent level is HUGE he just needs to learn how to package it.

i love to skate

Medalist
Chan is amazing!!! But he doesn't always do his 3-3.

Too many men are good this year and they are all almost equally good, and inconsistent, so it's harder. I really want Verner to medal, his talent level is HUGE he just needs to learn how to package it.

Do you really think he will fall from 2nd in the World to out of the top 10 in a year though? I know he didn't have a good skate at SC - it was horrible. But he did just land 8 triples at Nationals...

:laugh:Sorry, I totally forgot about him. Yes, take off Kozuka, and add Chan in top 10.:biggrin:

Oh I don't mind. I like that everyone is forgetting about him. I would rather have him as the underdog :)

I would never say that, but I guess he seems to have lost some ground with his injury. But Lambiel, Joubert, Takahashi and Plushenko have also lost time.

What a tremendously talented field! I can hardly even pick my favorites for the podium let alone call it.

futureidol

On the Ice
Miss on the 3A aside, Weir's FS had improvements

Actually re-watching Johnny's FS a couple of times I think it's so much better than my first impression (I felt like my heart was going to explode and I could hardly breathe the first time I watched it). Now I can see his performance clearly because I have my heart free of my gut. His final straightline footwork sequence was crazy good and vastly improved, probably Johnny's best ever, close to Takahashi's level. He had so much speed and beautiful choreography jammed packed into that final part of the program. Also his spins were excellent. If he hadn't stupidly singled that 3A, and the step out on his 3-3 combo was his only mistake I think everyone would be singing a different tune about his FS. His performance level and speed were superb. I know I'm biased but Johnny also had the best SP IMO. That rendition of "I Love You I Hate You" was one of the his best performances of his career, can't say the same for Lysacek's SP, and I just don't like the music of Jeremy's SP (butchered Beatles, no build up in the music). Evan's FS was terrible in every way. Stiff, lethargic, uninspired, his choreo and footwork was worse than ever, the spins were okay and so were the jumps, but the fall on the quad was a huge miss. I'd say Lysacek and Weir were pretty even mistakes wise for the LP, but Weir's was a superior performance, and of course Abbott outskated everyone by a mile in the FS. I honestly would have given Johnny the silver just based on his spectacular SP (I would have given him an 88.00), and he probably would have gotten the silver if only he had the clean FS he was more than capable of (landing beautiful quads and 3As all week in practice). The nerves got to him (there was so much riding on Nationals) and if he works hard over the next month he'll peak in Vancouver. :clap:

ks777

Record Breaker
Seems like people really don't think Chan is any good anymore...

not that. We just don't like him.

I think if Abbott skates like the US national at the Olympics, he will surely medal. Abbott is my favorite male skater by far this season. I just love his simply costumes and music and artistry. He has it all.

Last edited:
N

n_halifax

Well... finally home after a long night and heading to bed shortly without time to watch anything tonight... but weighing in on the event I can say I am ECSTATIC Jeremy had such an excellent skate and defended his title. I cannot say enough great things about this skater and I couldn't be more thrilled it was he atop the podium. Evan and Johnny, though not perfect it sounds, are also both great, convincing skaters and will represent the U.S. very strongly at the Olympics - neither is my favourite but I do see GREAT talent in both of them and are happy they are on the podium. I really can't wait to see Ryan Bradley's skate - it sounds like he really had a great night and it's so unfortunate he won't be on the Olympic team consequentially. However, based on the way things normally tend to go, I would be FAR from surprised if I he wasn't on the team in Torino, should be choose to remain eligible. Very disappointed Adam didn't have his magical skate - he is another skater I just adore... and props to Brandon for skating well and making up some great ground. It just may be the difference as to whether or not he gets a spot at 4 Continents.