Abbott destroys competition, heads to Vancouver | Golden Skate

Abbott destroys competition, heads to Vancouver

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Abbott blew the roof off the Spokane Arena tonight with the best performance of his up and down career to capture his second consecutive U.S. title.

More

Thank you, J.R. :rock:

Johnny Weir said:
When I looked at the replay, I didn't pay attention to my technical elements. I know what my mistakes were. I looked at my beautiful costume and thought about how fantastic it looked."

No, it didn't. It looked stupid. :laugh:

Now Lysacek's -- for Scheherezade, he should have dressed up like Sinbad or Ali Baba. :yes:

...ten year-old Nathan Chen (Salt Lake Figure Skating) finished first with a score of 51.24 points.

"That was good," Chen said. "I skated to Kung Fu Panda, so the character was easy to portray."

Which character did he portray? I hope it was the Mantis. :)

Medusa

Record Breaker
Both Lysacek's and Weir's costumes seemed weird to me. Jeremy looked very good on the other hand.

Final Flight
Both Lysacek's and Weir's costumes seemed weird to me. Jeremy looked very good on the other hand.

i love evan's costumes, ever since his carmen remake with the black dior homme shirt with red ties on his hands.
he has good taste although his firebird outfit WAS too literal and intense.
very avant-garde and he has the frame to support it.
he is the only skater i respect with costume choice.

in the other hand, johnny weir, the so-called fashion diva....CLEARLY isn't. maybe he knows all the designer labels and waves his balenciaga man bag around as his practice duffel, but he does not have a clue how bad he looks with the overdoes of sequins and fur?! for his LP costume.....pink details and TASSLES with a leather bust....gah. horrible.

jeremy, looked awkward with his minimally bedazzled silk blue dress shirt buttoned up ALL THE WAY UP. i think it a little too loose. i can see this program with a more muted colored shirt, the blue is too saturated and rich. but as i read somewhere, a tux would be nice.....or something less 90s giant dress shirt syndrome.

prettykeys

Medalist
Jeremy Abbott was amazing.

I feel bad for Ryan Bradley, but...

Johnny Weir said:
When I looked at the replay, I didn't pay attention to my technical elements. I know what my mistakes were. I looked at my beautiful costume and thought about how fantastic it looked."
:laugh: SO cute.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: costumes... ryan's was teh most perfect... jeremy second... and Evan's is a vast improvement (it really shows off his toned body too... which this girl :love::love::love: )

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
didn't hear anything on the icenetwork coverage other than the three top men go to the olys

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I loved Evan's Star Trek costume but I'm biased-I love that franchise. I thought it looked stunning on his frame. Jeremy's was just too low-key for my taste or just not the right style for his AWESOME program. He rocked it. Johnny-I didn't like his 'pretty' costume as he called it. Anyhow, my two faves are headed to Vancouver. Here's crossing fingers all three 'bring it' at the Games!

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
...tiny ten year-old Nathan Chen (Salt Lake Figure Skating) finished first with a score of 51.24 points.

"That was good," Chen said. "I skated to Kung Fu Panda, so the character was easy to portray."

The four foot-five inch Chen is also a hockey player, a gymnast, a full-time fifth grader, and also plays the piano.

"I skate for three hours after school, and I like reading and writing in school."

Cutest. lines. in. the. whole. article! :biggrin:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I thought Jeremy was terrific. If he skates like that in Vancouver, I see a medal around his neck. I was disappointed for Ryan Bradley, too. I thought he deserved the 3rd spot.

As for the costumes, even my dh said, "it looks like he cut the skirt off a ladies competition dress and put black pants on over top" about Johnny. Way too much. Personally, I liked Jeremy's outfit the best: simple and understated. I hate being distracted by a skater's costume.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Re: costumes... ryan's was teh most perfect... jeremy second... and Evan's is a vast improvement (it really shows off his toned body too... which this girl :love::love::love: )

What was with the things on Evans shoulders? I am afraid his hands will get caught in them. Ryans's costume was great! Loved his program too!

skatefancan

Rinkside
Abbotts skating seems a bit slow and labored to me. His jumps were great and it was a clean program but still no spark throughout. He in my opinion needs more colour in the way he executes the choreography.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Abbotts skating seems a bit slow and labored to me. His jumps were great and it was a clean program but still no spark throughout. He in my opinion needs more colour in the way he executes the choreography.

I totally agree. Yeah, it's nice he didn't splat on any of his jumps, but let's not pretend this is a skate of a lifetime... a skate of a Lifetime movie, maybe. Jeremy was tentative and careful and it showed. He never fully got into the music. It was, no doubt, the best skate of the night, but then, that's not saying much.

skatemom1122

Final Flight

To me it looks EFFORTLESS, not slow and labored. His limber quality makes him the most pleasing to watch, IMO. The judges agreed, with components soaring into the 8s.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
To me it looks EFFORTLESS, not slow and labored. His limber quality makes him the most pleasing to watch, IMO. The judges agreed, with components soaring into the 8s.

It's the nationals before the Olympics, the last man skating after an evening of splats, and with a level of concentration bordering on constipation, he manages to stay upright. Those judges were ready and primed to throw high marks at anything that doesn't make them want to vomit at what US men's figure skating has become. Let's not pretend those marks are remotely objective.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I thought that Abbott´s freeskate looked magical and got the impression that so did the live audience. I just wonder whether he will be able to repeat that same magic at his first Olympics, Kwan was not able to do it in Nagano Olympics.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What was with the things on Evans shoulders? I am afraid his hands will get caught in them. Ryans's costume was great! Loved his program too!

I can forgive the black pipe cleaners.. because the shirt leaves nothing to my imagination:love:

skatemom1122

Final Flight
It's the nationals before the Olympics, the last man skating after an evening of splats, and with a level of concentration bordering on constipation, he manages to stay upright. Those judges were ready and primed to throw high marks at anything that doesn't make them want to vomit at what US men's figure skating has become. Let's not pretend those marks are remotely objective.

Really? And you are so sure of this..how? Were you on the panel? We'll see Jeremy's marks when he arrives in Vancouver. To me, his performance was completely deserving of these marks. Honestly, why are you so sour? Between your comments here on Abbott and your comments about Dube/Davison on the Canadian thread, you come off as a real downer.