LAST MINUTE Thoughts on Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

LAST MINUTE Thoughts on Ladies

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I know how Mirai can win. Seeing that Evan has the same coach and just changed his LP format, I know what Mirai can do to avoid pesky edge calls and under-rotated doubles.

Her current LP jump layout:

3lz-2t-2lo
2a-2t or 2a-3t
3f
3lz
3lo-2t
2a
3t

What she should change her layout to:

3t-2t-2lo or 3f-2t-2t if she can rotate that last jump better as a 2t
3f-2a sequence
3lz
3lo
3t-2a sequence
3f

Why this works. 1.) one lutz instead of two, meaning only one "e"/"!" call 2.) 6 triples without having to do a 2a-3t and get it ratified
3.) doing jumps in sequence will get her more points (2a > 2t), and they are less likely to get DGed because her 2a is very strong and usually gets high GOEs

But a triple toe has a much lower base value than a lutz. Would the positive GOE's she gets on the 3 toe/2/2 combo make up for the loss of a lutz? Mirari does not flutz, her change of edge is just barley there, the judges are just really picking on her most of the time.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
But a triple toe has a much lower base value than a lutz. Would the positive GOE's she gets on the 3 toe/2/2 combo make up for the loss of a lutz? Mirari does not flutz, her change of edge is just barley there, the judges are just really picking on her most of the time.

I tend to think do one lutz instead of two shouldn't matter that much because of the points she will gain doing the 2a instead of a 2t, especially if the 2t is UR. Mirai got a 1.20 GOE on her 2a at SC, meaning if she does that twice, it would be about 9 points ( (3.5+1) x 2 = 9), versus the 2.6 points she'd get for doing two 2t (less if they are UR) so those 6 points should more than make up for the lutz, especially when you consider that a lutz with an "e" call (which is what Mirai has been getting internationally recently, not "!") is probably worth about the same as a clean 3t. Plus if she can still do a 3sal then she could do 7 triples instead of 6 and then she'd have a leg up on everyone, except Rachael if she hits and gets ratified her 3f-3t, but Mirai's overall skating, speed, spins, spirals are better so still. Plus she rarely falls, and she has never had problems with her 2a. I think she could really beat the system with a layout like that.
I doubt she will change her layout now, but I think it would be smart for her to do next year if she wants to do better internationally.

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
Sasha - I would be shocked to see her show up - if she shows up, who knows what she will do - but it would be cool to see

My $ is on Flatt and Wagner - this is a game of nerves not fine lines - the best thing for us is to see everyone skate their guts out and let the chips fall where they may - if we see anything near Abbott and Denney and Barrett - we are in for a treat - from a Canadian fan

cornell08

Final Flight
I wonder if Rachael feels more pressure than before now that she's Tom Z's last big hope for Vancouver. Especially given how he really talked this past summer about how his students could take anyone on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Everyone is feeling pressure. Of course! It's the Oly Trials.

I trust Rachel to handle her nerves reasonably but only Cohen and Hughes have done this before so you never know. I think she will rise to the occasion, though.

crawall

Rinkside
I hope she goes to Jr. Worlds because I think she could medal. Polina and Kanako will probably be the other two medalists but I thin Christina could potentially beat both of them, especially if Polina leaves out her 3-3 again and Kanako's jumps keep getting downgraded.

I am also interested to see how Angela Maxwell will do at nats, she's a great talent and in my mind was underscored last season. I don't know how Katrina Hacker managed to come in 5th without a flip or lutz in the SP or FS, she is beautiful though.

Gao beat Kanako and Polina? Hmm, I just can't see it. Her jumps are OK and she is cute enough to look at, but the "inbetweens" just are not up to the level of the rest of field. Even Baga's execution of her program content is so much better.

Having seen all of these ladies live - Kanako twice (lucky me) I just don't see why the "next one" is Gao.

And speaking of Angela - Maxwell over Gao everytime! Too bad Angela is injured. Hope she's better for JR World's!

n

First of all, I don't think any US lady will surpass Abbott in popularity going into the Olys. It just isn't a Lady's Year. Having said that,back to the US Nats:

Sasha and Rachael seem to be the top Faves for Nats' results, and will go quietly unto the Olys. But the bronze medalist, which is up for grabs,will also go to Worlds since I don't think Sasha will stretch her return that far.

We will be speaking of this later on another topic thread, but we need 13 points at Worlds to have 3 Ladies next season. I'm not sure the Selection Committe is aware of that from recent events.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gao beat Kanako and Polina? Hmm, I just can't see it. Her jumps are OK and she is cute enough to look at, but the "inbetweens" just are not up to the level of the rest of field. Even Baga's execution of her program content is so much better.

Having seen all of these ladies live - Kanako twice (lucky me) I just don't see why the "next one" is Gao.

And speaking of Angela - Maxwell over Gao everytime! Too bad Angela is injured. Hope she's better for JR World's!

Baga fell 3 times at the JGPF though and managed to get two JGP golds despite not skating very well at either competition.

Kanako is good, but I really don't see all this hype about Polina, she's kinda boring. The other thing is Kanako always gets edge calls for her lutz and her 3t-3t is often UR. It really just depends on how they all do there, Mirai won senior US nationals in 2008 then went on to Jr. Worlds and struggled a bit to finish 3rd. At this point I think Gao, Murakami, and Shelepen are all about even.

I agree that Angela is better though, it's just that after last year when she got 8th place when she should have been in the top 5 I kind of just accepted that the USFSA would keep her down in the scores. I didn't know she was injured though, that's too bad :frown:

R.D.

Record Breaker
To help jump-start some last-second discussion of ladies before the SP on Thursday, Sylvia (Thanks FSO) has been tweeting practice info from today's session:

http://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen

[Ashley] Wagner's FS run thru: 3F-2T-2T, 3Lo, spirals into 2A, 3S, 3Lo-2A seq, 3F-2A(ur?), 3Lz off-balance.

[Caroline] Zhang also landed 3F-3T, 3Lo-2T-'tano 2Lo, 3Lo, and several 3S. Only saw 1 fall and 1 step out -- both on 3F.

Czisny did a FS run thru, landing 3Lz-2T, 3F, 3Lo, 2A, 3Lz, 3T-turns-2T, 3T fall. Afterwards she landed 2A-2A seq., 3Lz-2T, 3Lo & 3T, etc.

[Mirai] Nagasu ran thru her SP: 3Lz-2T, 3F, 2A. Some of her Lutz & flip landings looked iffy but some had good flow out as well.

1st official practice for Sr ladies at Eagles rink has started. Sasha's SP music was just played.--she's not here.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As we know, practice means nada when it comes to competition, but it does give an idea of how far the skaters have progressed since the fall. Everyone seems to be in good shape based on those tweets.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sasha wasn't even there for practice?

Sasha trained on Tuesday morning in LA and then later flew to Spokane.

Mr Nicks said Sasha would first practice in Spokane at Wednesday's training sessions.

So no, she did not get off the plane and rush to practice last night.

Her first practice in Spokane is supposed to be today.

Don't be so nervous kandidy - Sasha will practice today and skate tomorrow. :clap:

kandidy

Final Flight
Sasha trained on Tuesday morning in LA and then later flew to Spokane.

Mr Nicks said Sasha would first practice in Spokane at Wednesday's training sessions.

So no, she did not get off the plane and rush to practice last night.

Her first practice in Spokane is supposed to be today.

Don't be so nervous kandidy - Sasha will practice today and skate tomorrow. :clap:

Thnks for your clarification. :p I'm so nervous afraid she was just doing kind of " I came to Spokane, but just for commercial and broadcast thing lol"

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thnks for your clarification. :p I'm so nervous afraid she was just doing kind of " I came to Spokane, but just for commercial and broadcast thing lol"

Hey with Sasha we never know...........but it's part of her charm :yes: :laugh:

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I saw the practice yesterday (on tv), and these were my observations-

Flatt looked the slowest and most labored.

Mirai skated the fastest and looked the most polished. Did someone sprinkle fairy dust on that girl's skates? (But she stole Sahsa's signature, end of the program spin. tsk tsk)

Wagner had an expression of pure determination on her face when she finished her run-through. It would have made me cower.

Alissa looked very relaxed and confident.

That's my biased but completely honest opinion, just for a different, non-technical POV. :biggrin:

Oh, and I think its going to be a fierce competition. ;)

Last edited:

Hurdler4eva

Rinkside
I saw the practice yesterday (on tv), and these were my observations-

Flatt looked the slowest and most labored.

Mirai skated the fastest and looked the most polished. Did someone sprinkle fairy dust on that girl's skates? (But she stole Sahsa's signature, end of the program spin. tsk tsk)

Wagner had an expression of pure determination on her face when she finished her run-through. It would have made me cower.

Alissa looked very relaxed and confident.

That's my biased but completely honest opinion, just for a different, non-technical POV. :biggrin:

Oh, and I think its going to be a fierce competition. ;)

I agree - I am incredibly excited to see how everything plays out. Thank you for your observations. If you go to the practice today, we would all really appreciate more observations, especially about Sasha!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
To help jump-start some last-second discussion of ladies before the SP on Thursday, Sylvia (Thanks FSO) has been tweeting practice info from today's session:

[Caroline] Zhang also landed 3F-3T, 3Lo-2T-'tano 2Lo, 3Lo, and several 3S. Only saw 1 fall and 1 step out -- both on 3F.

http://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen

Caroline is landing triple - triples? and 'tanos? How dare she?? Doesn't she know NBC already picked Sasha and Rachael to win? Doesn't she know ratings and sponsorship money are on the line?

Somebody go out there and straighten her out right now!! :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Caroline is landing triple - triples? and 'tanos? How dare she?? Doesn't she know NBC already picked Sasha and Rachael to win? Doesn't she know ratings and sponsorship money are on the line?

Somebody go out there and straighten her out right now!! :biggrin:

Hey Bob many would be delighted to see Caroline skate great and win the title.

Maybe she has been sandbagging us all season and is gonna surprise the heck out of us at Natls!

Go Caroline!