So What Do You Think of Patrick Chan's Chances at the Olympics? | Golden Skate

So What Do You Think of Patrick Chan's Chances at the Olympics?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am not giving up on Patrick Chan, but I did notice his sure footedness was not quite there. I think Kurt Browning sort of commented on that. He is a very confident skater, but to me does not seem ready for the upcoming Olympics. Then again I may be wrong. What do you think?

stickle

Rinkside
Why would you give up on Patrick Chan? He's one of the best, if not the best, skaters in the world. He's getting his groove back, and his confidence, and he'll do just fine at the Olympics. :)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I am concerned. I love Patrick and I will support him til the end, but I am concerned. Watching US Nats and Canadians back-to-back this weekend, there was a big difference between Jeremy and Patrick. Patrick has to hit the jumps he has in the programs at the Olympics. Plushy will be gunning for gold, as will Joubert, nevermind Abbott, Lysacek, etc., etc., etc. This is a very strong men's field and, IMO, any one of about 10 guys can take this.

i love to skate

Medalist
I like his chances just fine. He landed eight triples here, his footwork was out of this world, his spins were fantastic, and he had tonnes of speed and energy. With another full month of training he will be good to go.

People should remember that Plushenko and Joubert were both hurt as well. Lambiel doesn't have a consistent axel so he isn't a lock for a medal by a long shot. Abbott was great at US Nationals but he was great at Nationals last year and fell apart at Worlds, Evan only did one triple axel, Johnny had a multitude of errors - including a single axel. It isn't as if everyone else is turning in flawless performances.

In the US men's thread, people don't even think Patrick will make the top 10 at the Olympics! Let him be the underdog, I much prefer it (and get less nervous) when my favourites aren't the "favourites" :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
In the US men's thread, people don't even think Patrick will make the top 10 at the Olympics! Let him be the underdog, I much prefer it (and get less nervous) when my favourites aren't the "favourites" :biggrin:

I am a big fan of Patrick's skating and think his chances to medal in Vancouver are good.

I am not sure where your info about USA fans comes from :scratch:

i love to skate

Medalist
I am a big fan of Patrick's skating and think his chances to medal in Vancouver are good.

I am not sure where your info about USA fans comes from :scratch:

Read the US Men's thread in the US forum. People were predicting top 10 at the Olympics and did not include Patrick - some even forget all about him!

Here is a great article on Patrick. He is "humbled and happy". He just seems so happy and very excited to go to the Games!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...nno-humbled-skater-chan-aims-for-olympic-gold

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I think he's going to get top 10, but I'm not sure about a medal. I don't think his technical content is quite up to par yet, like he seems to have done mostly triple-double combinations at the Nationals and he has no quad. I think that he might get a medal if a lot of the big jumpers fall, based on his artistic skills, footwork, etc.

His FP at Canadian Nats shows that he's back, finally. :clap:

He has that wonderful natural ability that another poster called "oozing quality." The only thing is, some of his jumps looked a bit scratchy and cautious. Without a quad, he needs to execute all the triples better and with bravura (if that's a noun) - then I would see him as a podium challenger. I saw the bravura attitude at the end of his program, though. :rock:

I don't like his all-black costume. At least on the CBC vid, it's hard to see his body. He needs some contrast or color. Even last year's waiter suit was better.

I would love to see him on the podium. I could watch him "ooze" all day. :love:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Why would you give up on Patrick Chan? He's one of the best, if not the best, skaters in the world. He's getting his groove back, and his confidence, and he'll do just fine at the Olympics. :)

Of course, I am - along with every other Canadian - expecting Patrick to do well at the Olympics. Many things can go right and wrong at the Olympics. I just hope he is ready.

inside edge

On the Ice
I am concerned. I love Patrick and I will support him til the end, but I am concerned. Watching US Nats and Canadians back-to-back this weekend, there was a big difference between Jeremy and Patrick. Patrick has to hit the jumps he has in the programs at the Olympics. Plushy will be gunning for gold, as will Joubert, nevermind Abbott, Lysacek, etc., etc., etc. This is a very strong men's field and, IMO, any one of about 10 guys can take this.

:yes: :yes:
Jeremy and Patrick are on my dream podium , but this is a very strong men's field and, any one of about 10 guys can take this.

i love to skate

Medalist

You could make the case that Jeremy has already peaked while Patrick is building momentum. He also skated better than Lysacek.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
He delivered a solid LP here at nats which was worlds better than Skate Canada. If he improves at that rate I could easily see him medaling or even winning, but think that if he is physically ready, the nerves are gong to be crazy. I am betting he will get the bronze and then win worlds.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
You could make the case that Jeremy has already peaked while Patrick is building momentum

Well, you could but there's no law that he can't skate that well again. It all comes down to composure on the day. I do think Patrick is normally pretty good at composure, but he's not normally in McD's commercials or on Cheerios boxes. That can pressurize the Olympic situation a tad.

i love to skate

Medalist
Well, you could but there's no law that he can't skate that well again. It all comes down to composure on the day. I do think Patrick is normally pretty good at composure, but he's not normally in McD's commercials or on Cheerios boxes. That can pressurize the Olympic situation a tad.

Well he has been dealing with the media exposure for a year now - since he is in Colorado and previously Florida he doesn't really see much of the hoopla that is going on. He also seems pretty unfazed by the whole situation and in his interviews he has seemed unbelievably excited to go to the Olympics and live in the village. He will be just fine.

shine

Record Breaker
People should remember that Plushenko and Joubert were both hurt as well. Lambiel doesn't have a consistent axel so he isn't a lock for a medal by a long shot. Abbott was great at US Nationals but he was great at Nationals last year and fell apart at Worlds, Evan only did one triple axel, Johnny had a multitude of errors - including a single axel. It isn't as if everyone else is turning in flawless performances.
Abbott won US Nats last year but his LP was far from great. He seems to me to be in a whole different physical as well as mental level this year.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice

Totally agree~:agree:

I like his chances just fine. He landed eight triples here, his footwork was out of this world, his spins were fantastic, and he had tonnes of speed and energy. With another full month of training he will be good to go.

I was amazed by the improvement on his spins, super centering and speed, best of I've seen this season. I would like to point out his SP has more speed and power comparing with the one at Worlds. His speed just blows me away from the TV:laugh:

I am not giving up on Patrick Chan, but I did notice his sure footedness was not quite there. I think Kurt Browning sort of commented on that. He is a very confident skater, but to me does not seem ready for the upcoming Olympics. Then again I may be wrong. What do you think?

I think he lost some sure-footedness on his jumps because he has way too much speed going into his jumps. That superior speed would cause some balancing problem and sometimes throw off the timing on the take-off. To be more sure-footed, he might need to slow down a bit before the take-off or to have the exact timing, this is really a trade-off.

Patrick has all the tools to medal, he just has to perform as best as he can.:love:

Last edited: