Dube and Davison Bring Judges To Tears | Golden Skate

Dube and Davison Bring Judges To Tears

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is this type of journalism that makes me want to go throw up in my hat.

Truly.

And I don't know why skating commentators and journalists in general seem to combine the overblown and overpuffed with the hackneyed so very, very often.

This style is not confined to anyone country. It's seems to be a feature of the sport and one that drives me completely crazy.

"Brought me to tears"
"gave me goosebumps"
"poetry in motion"

Uck.

This stuff is a disservice to skaters who gave a great performance and deserve better.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
It is this type of journalism that makes me want to go throw up in my hat.

Truly.

And I don't know why skating commentators and journalists in general seem to combine the overblown and overpuffed with the hackneyed so very, very often.

This style is not confined to anyone country. It's seems to be a feature of the sport and one that drives me completely crazy.

"Brought me to tears"
"gave me goosebumps"
"poetry in motion"

Uck.

This stuff is a disservice to skaters who gave a great performance and deserve better.

Did you watch their performance??

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I reckon the judge was crying over having to hear another team skate to Lux Aeternal for the 5 billionth time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I've seen it. It's not the skaters, or their performance that gets my goat. it's the journalism.

It was a nice performance. She puts her hand down on one of the throws. They lose contact in the final spin. Was it downgraded? And it was skated to truly schmaltzy music. it was a heck of a lot better than they have done yet this season.

I

i love to skate

Medalist
Yes, I've seen it. It's not the skaters, or their performance that gets my goat. it's the journalism.

It was a nice performance. She puts her hand down on one of the throws. They lose contact in the final spin. Was it downgraded? And it was skated to truly schmaltzy music. it was a heck of a lot better than they have done yet this season.

I

They are supposed to lose contact in the final spin - it makes it more difficult and increases the level. It was an amazing performance. As for the journalism, it just speaks to how much people were moved by that performance. That is the best peroformance we have seen from a Canadian pairs team in a very long time and from a team that has overcome so much in their career - including a tough season last year - I think they deserve all the praise in the world.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
They deserve only scorn for that hopelessly schmaltzy long program. I know the French love cheese, but apparently, so do French Canadians. A judge that is emotionally susceptible to that mess is as suspect as one susceptible to bribery of any other kind.

Tigger

Final Flight
DesertRose...We get it. You don't like Jess and Bryce. However, here's a thought. How about not voicing your opinions in such a disgusting manner.

Canada is made up of more than just "French Canadians" and so is D&D if you'd paid attention.

As for the so called schmalky comments...Deal w/it!! This performance *did* bring tears to many people and sent chills down the spines of many people. You don't like that description? Too bad. It happened. It will happen again when talking about skating too. Get over it!!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I don't hate Dube/Davison. I love Dube/Davison. That's why I hold them to a higher standard.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm glad they skated well ( though not quite as well as they'll need to) and wish them every success.

But I have to agree with the schmaltz assessment. Right from the start , I was sorry to see this pair take this route. Why have them try to channel Jamie and David ? It's Love Story set to The Way We Were...right down to the grey costumes and the 'street clothes' look for him. The thing is, David's fit. Bryce's don't. He looks rumpled, she looks drab. I never would have predicted that anyone could make Jessica look drab..but sadly , there it is. I wish they had let them be themselves. I much prefer their short program.

I don't like the Russian Love Story recycle attempt either. Who needs the comparison? You can't watch either of these programs without thinking of Jamie and David. I'd rather be thinking about the skaters I'm watching.

I'll tell you who's moved me to tears this season..Shen and Zhao. It was incredibly moving to see them skate the way they did.They didn't need any mawkish sentimentality in their program, they were so obviously pouring every ounce of their being into their performance, you couldn't help but respond.No story needed . If there was one, I didn't need to know what it was.

I think Annabelle and Cody's Grand Canyon program is a thing of beauty. I hope to see them skate it to their full potential. It's fresh, original, and could be very involving and uplifting if skated really well.

May both teams be at their best for the Olympics.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
I'm glad they skated well ( though not quite as well as they'll need to) and wish them every success.

But I have to agree with the schmaltz assessment. Right from the start , I was sorry to see this pair take this route. Why have them try to channel Jamie and David ? It's Love Story set to The Way We Were...right down to the grey costumes and the 'street clothes' look for him. The thing is, David's fit. Bryce's don't. He looks rumpled, she looks drab. I never would have predicted that anyone could make Jessica look drab..but sadly , there it is. I wish they had let them be themselves. I much prefer their short program.

They aren't trying to channel Jamie and David at all! Do you know their personal story? It fits The Way We Were to a T. They are playing to their strengths and it is working well for them. Jess is probably the most gorgeous female skater out there - I don't think she looks drab at all. The costumes are influenced by the movie.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Of course I know D/D's personal story. I would know it and hope for their success no matter what they skated to. But there may have been many ways for them to feel they could recapture their original promise.Even though I feel it's very derivative , I hope it works for them, and I'll hope to see something different next year.

The cut of Jess' dress is very late 50's , but it's not very flattering for a skater. I'm sure Barbara Streisand had more than one dress in her wardrobe in the movie..and for that matter, the costumes don't have to echo the movie exactly.( We're not that dense.) They could wear anything simple and flattering to them, and the fact that the music and the movie are so well known would be enough for the audience to make the connection...And, I'm sorry, but the choice of grey street-clothes-look makes the comparison to Love Story inevitable.

I can't quite believe that this is all coincidental, that their whole team wasn't at least aware of the similarities , if it wasn't intentional. These people are intelligent.They know what they're doing. I believe they've said themselves that they were looking for something to do for D/D what Love Story did for S/P.

So they choose another movie. Another tear-jerker of a melodrama. The title song was a huge hit . Everyone is familiar with it. They dress them in grey.

I think they know very well that people will connect the two and hope that it will work to their advantage..that it will make us choke up, nostalgic softies that we are. Maybe it does work for most. I'm just saying it's all too obvious and a bit of a let down for me.

That doesn't mean I won't be rooting for them.

BTW ,I quite agree Jess is gorgeous. So why try to hide it ? Let us see her normally beautiful neck and shoulder line. Let her have a little colour in her make up so we can see her sweet little face.I hate to see her put at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I can't complain too much about Jessica's costume, though it is the color of dried puke and cut in the style of a 60's flight attendant uniform, because it does show off her rack very nicely.

And S/P's Love Story was an unbearable schmaltz-fest that makes The Way We Were look like an abstract modern dance set to John Cage.

Shen/Zhao did move me to tears... of inconsolable rage at that elevator music butchery of Queen.

i love to skate

Medalist
:)Of course I know D/D's personal story. I would know it and hope for their success no matter what they skated to. But there may have been many ways for them to feel they could recapture their original promise.Even though I feel it's very derivative , I hope it works for them, and I'll hope to see something different next year.

I can't quite believe that this is all coincidental, that their whole team wasn't at least aware of the similarities , if it wasn't intentional. These people are intelligent.They know what they're doing. I believe they've said themselves that they were looking for something to do for D/D what Love Story did for S/P.

So they choose another movie. Another tear-jerker of a melodrama. The title song was a huge hit . Everyone is familiar with it. They dress them in grey.

Where did you read that? All of the articles I have read have said quite the oppoiste:

“We didn’t think too much about Jamie and David,” countered Davison. “We skate the same style as them. It’s our natural skating style. The outfits are from the movie. We try and depict it the best we can. Hopefully we do it a bit of justice.”

“That’s been us since the start,” said Davison.

Their first long program as juniors was set to music from Romeo and Juliet. He said they didn’t know who they were and what they were starting at the time, but they have grown comfortable with their style and it has done them justice.

“Now we know this is what works for us,” he said.

http://www.canada.com/sports/2010wintergames/Spot+Dube+Davison+land+Olympic+spot/2450638/story.html

I doubt you will see anything different next year as I think they will probably retire after this year.

jcoates

Medalist
I think Annabelle and Cody's Grand Canyon program is a thing of beauty. I hope to see them skate it to their full potential. It's fresh, original, and could be very involving and uplifting if skated really well.

Agreed. It's gorgeous, simple and clean in it's design. Love the way everything is woven into a program that uses a piece of music that is neither cheesy nor overused. Refreshing.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well, if D/D retire, I'll hope to see something of a professional career for them. I like them. And I'm a particular fan of Jess , she IS lovely ,not to mention brave and downright dauntless.

I didn't mean to imply that I had heard or read Jess or Bryce themselves express that thought.( And I would have been very surprised if they did.I believe they know how to give an interview at this stage of their career.) I worded that poorly. Sorry.The they I referred to was their team,as a whole. And I didn't take note of who ,in particular, the idea was attributed to.The gist of it was that just as Love Story brought out the emotional connection between the skaters,and the skaters and audience , D/D's team had looked for a vehicle that would reawaken that connection between them , and expand it to draw in the audience.( It may have been a feature on the fact that David was working closely with them )...but even if I had never heard / seen that, what my eyes told me when I saw The Way We Were would have led me to the same conclusion.

Maybe most wouldn't agree with me, that's OK, too. Just don't think I'm picking on Jess and Bryce. To be honest, I liked Love Story in spite of myself...but I was sorry when S/P scrapped their Orchid program . I thought it had the potential to be stunning and I'm not sure their results wouldn't have been the same anyway. That's just the kind of hairpin I am...:biggrin:

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Well, if D/D retire, I'll hope to see something of a professional career for them. I like them. And I'm a particular fan of Jess , she IS lovely ,not to mention brave and downright dauntless.

I don't think they will skate professionaly. On a SC interview, Jess stated that she wanted to go to school for interior design very soon and I know Bryce wants to go to school as well. I always am delighted when skaters want to experience a life outside of skating!

I didn't mean to imply that I had heard or read Jess or Bryce themselves express that thought.( And I would have been very surprised if they did.I believe they know how to give an interview at this stage of their career.) I worded that poorly. Sorry.The they I referred to was their team,as a whole. And I didn't take note of who ,in particular, the idea was attributed to.The gist of it was that just as Love Story brought out the emotional connection between the skaters,and the skaters and audience , D/D's team had looked for a vehicle that would reawaken that connection between them , and expand it to draw in the audience.( It may have been a feature on the fact that David was working closely with them )...but even if I had never heard / seen that, what my eyes told me would have led me to the same conclusion.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know if they are still working that much with David - I haven't seen him at any of their competitons this year. I love the program and I don't find it schmaltzy at all. If it was put on or forced I would have a problem with it but because it is their own personal story and the emotion is so evident on their faces it's amazing. It is just real and I love that because in pairs there is little to no connection anymore, IMO. D/D are unique in this regard. The other teams are all about the big tricks.

Maybe most wouldn't agree with me, that's OK, too. Just don't think I'm picking on Jess and Bryce. To be honest, I liked Love Story in spite of myself...but I was sorry when S/P scrapped their Orchid program . I thought it had the potential to be stunning and I'm not sure their results wouldn't have been the same anyway. That's just the kind of hairpin I am...:biggrin:

I adored Orchid and I honestly don't know why they got rid of it. It was so beautiful!

evangeline

Record Breaker
...in pairs there is little to no connection anymore, IMO. D/D are unique in this regard. The other teams are all about the big tricks.

I adored Orchid and I honestly don't know why they got rid of it. It was so beautiful!

*cough* Shen/Zhao *cough*

Anyways, I really loved S/P's Orchid too. I certainly would be griping about the pairs debacle at 2002 SLC a lot less if S/P had skated to Orchid perfectly in the LP. If I recall correctly, S/P switched away from Orchid to Love Story because they weren't able to skate to Orchid cleanly all season--I would hazard a guess and say they chose Love Story because it was easier to skate to cleanly than Orchid, which had more complex choreography.