US 2010 Junior Worlds Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US 2010 Junior Worlds Team

Sylvia

Record Breaker
U.S. World Junior team is official now

USFS' 1/23/10 Press Release (World Junior Ladies and Ice Dancing Teams & Alternates added at bottom):
2010 U.S. World Junior Ladies Figure Skating Team
Christina Gao
Ashley Wagner
Agnes Zawadzki

Alternate No. 1 - Kiri Baga
Alternate No. 2 - Lindsay Davis
Alternate No. 3 - Melissa Bulanhagui

2010 U.S. World Junior Ice Dancing Team
Piper Gilles and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani
Rachel Tibbetts and Collin Brubaker

Alternate No. 1 - Isabella Cannuscio and Ian Lorello
Alternate No. 2 - Anastasia Olson and Jordan Cowan
Alternate No. 3 - Lauri Bonacorsi and Travis Mager

USFS' 1/16/10 Press Release (World Junior Pairs Team & Alternates added at bottom):
2010 U.S. World Junior Pairs Figure Skating Team
Brynn Carman and A.J. Reiss
Britney Simpson and Nathan Miller
Felicia Zhang and Taylor Toth

Alternate No. 1 - Ashley Cain and Joshua Reagan
Alternate No. 2 - Tori Vollmer and Zack Sidhu
Alternate No. 3 - Kylie Duarte and Colin Grafton

USFS' 1/17/10 Press Release (World Junior Men's Team & Alternates):
2010 U.S. World Junior Men's Figure Skating Team
Grant Hochstein
Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Ross Miner

Alternate No. 1 - Keegan Messing
Alternate No. 2 - Richard Dornbush
Alternate No. 3 - Jason Brown

Last edited:

silversprings77

Rinkside
does anyone else almost find it degrading that ashley is selected for junior worlds yet again? she has competed at sr. worlds and was less than 5 points away from being selected for the olympics. plus she is an alternate for the senior world team (which she would likely go to given the chance that rachael and/or mirai would end their season after the olympics if they show decently). I can't speak for ashley but if i were in her shoes i would feel kinda slighted...she works really really hard and lays it on the line (and even makes the Grand Prix Final....which no other American lady in the last 2 or so years can claim)....and she keeps getting named to junior worlds in the place of someone else who could really benefit from the experience and ISU standing points...

ok my rant is done. :)

silversprings77

Rinkside
another question....will the ISU notice that this is the second year that Ashely has gone to Jr Worlds after competing at Seniors and at the GPF? Yes there should be a rule....but will one of the federations submit it for consideration? also, are there any other nations that routinely do this?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
another question....will the ISU notice that this is the second year that Ashely has gone to Jr Worlds after competing at Seniors and at the GPF? Yes there should be a rule....but will one of the federations submit it for consideration? also, are there any other nations that routinely do this?

In 2006, Mao Asada did compete at junior worlds despite competing in the GPF at the senior level. But of course that was for just one year. Not three like Ashley.

nadster

Final Flight
In 2006, Mao Asada did compete at junior worlds despite competing in the GPF at the senior level. But of course that was for just one year. Not three like Ashley.

But that was because that year Mao was old enough for senior GPs but was too young for senior Worlds according to ISU rules.

So the siutation is not the same.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But that was because that year Mao was old enough for senior GPs but was too young for senior Worlds according to ISU rules.

So the siutation is not the same.

Oh yes. Always wondered why the GPF rules were different than Oly/Worlds. Is that still the case now?

RUKen

Rinkside

Elena Gedevanishvili competed at Junior Worlds last year after having competed at Senior Worlds three times and Europeans four times. Elena Glebova competed at Junior Worlds in 2008 after two appearances at Senior Worlds and three at Europeans. Tomas Verner competed at Junior Worlds in 2004 after two appearances each at Senior Worlds and Europeans. I'm sure I could have found more examples if I had been willing to click on all of the ISU bios--it's really not that unusual and certainly not limited to the U.S.

silversprings77

Rinkside
Elena Gedevanishvili competed at Junior Worlds last year after having competed at Senior Worlds three times and Europeans four times. Elena Glebova competed at Junior Worlds in 2008 after two appearances at Senior Worlds and three at Europeans. Tomas Verner competed at Junior Worlds in 2004 after two appearances each at Senior Worlds and Europeans. I'm sure I could have found more examples if I had been willing to click on all of the ISU bios--it's really not that unusual and certainly not limited to the U.S.

you definitely had more time than i did to research. thanks!:thumbsup: i guess i'm just bummed from the USFSA not seeming tostick to the olympic selection criteria that they had laid out. i thought they were adding in performance in fall comps too which i thought would have made the difference seeing as how the final national result was relatively close.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm gutted that Cannuscio & Lorello did not make the Jr. World team. They had such a great JGP series, and placed 6th at JGPF. This was the last year they are eligible for Jr. Worlds :cry:

SugarCranberry

Rinkside
Oh yes. Always wondered why the GPF rules were different than Oly/Worlds. Is that still the case now?

Mao could do senior GP in 2005 because she was Junior Worlds champion. So could Caroline Zhang two seasons ago. Otherwise they were still too young for GP.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mao could do senior GP in 2005 because she was Junior Worlds champion. So could Caroline Zhang two seasons ago. Otherwise they were still too young for GP.
No, being Jr. World champion does not waive the age rule. The minimum age to compete on the Senior Grand Prix (and In Senior B internationals) is 14 by July 1st before the start of the new season. It's 15 for ISU Senior Championships (Worlds, 4 Continents and Europeans) and the Olympics.

DorisP: I feel badly for Cannuscio/Lorello as well, but at least they got the experience of competing in the JGP Final this season (something that Gilles/Donohue missed out on last season when they withdrew from the JGPF due to injury).

Last edited:

ANW

On the Ice
I won't be surprised if Christina Gao or Murakami beats Ashley. Remember last year, Ashley had like 10 points lead over Caroline after the SP and still ended up with 3rd place finish.
Ashley? I fully expect her to win this, like Caroline should have last year... before Alena Leonova had her breakthrough.

I was (still am) hoping that Kanako Murakami could win though, she's been dominating the junior scene all season and she's an actual junior. I hope Christina does well and medals too. It will be tough between Ashley, Kanako, and Polina Shelepen, but I think Christina can do it. :)

RUKen

Rinkside
No, being Jr. World champion does not waive the age rule. The minimum age to compete on the Senior Grand Prix (and In Senior B internationals) is 14 by July 1st before the start of the new season. It's 15 for ISU Senior Championships (Worlds, 4 Continents and Europeans) and the Olympics.

There was a time when being Junior World Champion (or silver or bronze medalist) would make an underage skater eligible to appear at Worlds, but that exception was eliminated nearly ten years ago. In 2000, Sasha Cohen tried to qualify for Worlds (after finishing second at U.S. Nationals) by medalling at the Junior World Championships in Oberstdorf, but she finished off the podium.

Lightspear

Rinkside
Ashley at Jr World's is a good thing

With so many talented US skaters competing for so few international assignments, Ashley shouldn't be able to have it both ways. She was given the option of 4CC should she miss the Olympic team, but she passed on it. Her season should end here because she left herself no other alternative besides the Olympics. Junior Worlds is no consolation prize.

It appears that the competion rules would exclude her based on age. She is age eligible and by all accounts that I have seen a terrific skater. If the Americans wish to extend her season and have her represent them why not? She will add to the event by giving the rest of our international skaters an excellent competitor, to us the skating fans hopefully a memorable skating show. I believe it should be all about a quality competition within the allowable competition parameters - which apparently it is..

oleada

Record Breaker
IMO, JW shouldn't be a consolation prize for senior skaters who aren't lucky or good enough to make it to 4CC or Worlds.

RUKen

Rinkside
IMO, JW shouldn't be a consolation prize for senior skaters who aren't lucky or good enough to make it to 4CC or Worlds.

"Senior skaters" are all those who are age-eligible for senior events.

The Junior Grand Prix Final is the culmination of the Junior Grand Prix season. Junior Worlds is an entirely separate event that predates the Junior Grand Prix series by several decades. It is open to all skaters from ISU federations who meet the age requirements, and was never intended to exclude those who have competed in senior events.