most Underrated Skater is...? | Golden Skate

most Underrated Skater is...?

Taan

On the Ice
Fumie Suguri!

I love her effortless flow and her delicate burgeoning artistry she is like a delicate skating flower coming into full bloom on the ice....why was she chacked by ABC at the cambells challenge? all the talk is about sasha but who BEAT sasha at worlds for 2 years straight? FUMIE SUGURI.:sheesh: i have a feeling this year she could win it all!!!

I hope you're right! :love: Although I don't know if a two-time world medalist can be called "underrated." It's not like she snuck up on us without anyone noticing. :laugh:

I think that her choices of music (that is, Lori Nichol's choices for her) have been outstanding the last three years. I can't wait to see her interpretation of the Mozart selections this year. Even though she had a bad first outing, I think that this program has loads of potential. I also look forward to seeing her new kicky, upbeat short program.

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't think we have seen enough of her yet to call her most underrated. I am sure she will be in the top five this season.

Alexei Urmanov is a good choice, but I'm going to nominate Kristi Yamaguchi. I'm sure some people are going "Huh?" but here's why I think this: Relative to other US ladies World and/or Olympic champions, Kristi doesn't seem to have received the appropriate amount of respect relative to her abilities both technically and artistically. Ten years after she won the OGM she still had every triple, plus some good 3/2 combos. She always had great skating skills, transitions, interpretation, choreography, audience connection, and was especially versatile. Kudos for Kristi!
Rgirl

I'm not sure Kristie hasn't received her due respect after winning the Olys. I see it that she reigned for the 4 years as the top figure skater; no one ever claimes she shouldn't have won the Olys; gracefully went pro; appeared in so many shows and exhibitions; led an exemplary life; got married;; had a child, etc. etc. And all through this the fans cared, and still do.

She didn't have to become an actress; she didn't have to swear of liquor. She won the hearts of the casual American fans, and maybe the world.

What more is there for a figure skater? Also as time goes by, there are new fans developing and their main interests seem to me to be the current batch of competitive figure skaters.

On topic: I would go along with Urmanov because I did not see much of him after the Olys - just a few pro competitions. I presumed he was top feature in the Russia and Europe.

Joe

mike79

On the Ice
Some underrated skaters are:

Ryan Jahnke
Shizuka Arakawa
Emanuel Sandhu (only because of his inconsistencies)
Ilia Klimkin
Petrova&Tikhonov (they may be dull but they have great technique)

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I've liked Fumie's skating but never really loved it until recently. She did an exhibition at the Viktory for Kids show that I thought was just beautiful. I got chills watching it (and that wasn't just from the on ice seats).

I also Urmanov is underrated in the US. Because he didn't appear here a lot after the Olympics, he really isn't remembered too often except by more die hard fans.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Do you mean that Urmanov was not shown on NA tv after the 1994 or 1998 Olympics? What ever, it wonders me, because he was among the top skaters in many events:

1994 Worlds 4th
1995 Europeans 2nd
1995 Worlds 4th
1996 Worlds 5th
1997 Europeans 1st
1997 Worlds 1st in SP
1999 Europeans 3rd
1999 Worlds 5th

I don´t remember about his Grand Prix (Champions series) Finals placements, but in 1996 he won the Final. After he turned pro in 1999 he won World Pro that year.

Marjaana

lulu

Final Flight
Germanice said:
... Ilia Kulik ... :(

Anke

Really?!-I'm suprised. :) He has a really big fanclub-w/ a nice website. He is Very popular with audiences in Europe and the US with pro shows and pro skating. During his amateur years he seemed like he was a respected performer and got the attention and scores he deserved. So it seemed as if he is respected by both FS fans and by the judges. SOI-might be a different matter ;)-actually I don't really know what is going on with SOI and Ilia Kulik-if anything.

Not trying to sound snarky-

:eek: :D but what is everyone's defenition of 'underrated'-obviously it might be different for different posters. Do you mean not get the scores they deserve by the judges, not get the "attention" or respect by the fans? -Just curious to know.

For me a skater can be underrated by the judges: they don't give the marks that the skater deserves.
Then a skater can be underrated by the fans: doesn't get the appreciation and acknowledgement for their skills and talent as much as they should.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
Sarah Hughes! She won the Olympic title with an amazing 7 triple program with 2 3/3 combos. Her feat is unmatched to date. No other lady can say they landed two CLEAN 3/3 combos in competition, but Sarah can. Irina's were cheated and should not have counted. Sarah won the hearts of millions on that fateful night. She was destined to be to become that champion. Nobody had faith in her. It was all about Sasha, Sasha, Sasha: will they let her win if she beats Michelle Kwan and Irina? No mention of Sarah. But look who won? She never won a World, National, or GP title. Didn't have to. She walked away with the big prize. Love her, love her , love her!
Miss you Sarah! Come back and compete at Nationals!:cry:

Rachael

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Sarah Hughes! She won the Olympic title with an amazing 7 triple program with 2 3/3 combos. Her feat is unmatched to date. No other lady can say they landed two CLEAN 3/3 combos in competition, but Sarah can. Irina's were cheated and should not have counted. Sarah won the hearts of millions on that fateful night. She was destined to be to become that champion. Nobody had faith in her. It was all about Sasha, Sasha, Sasha: will they let her win if she beats Michelle Kwan and Irina? No mention of Sarah. But look who won? She never won a World, National, or GP title. Didn't have to. She walked away with the big prize. Love her, love her , love her!
Miss you Sarah! Come back and compete at Nationals!:cry:

:D

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I agree about Sarah. However, she did basically disappear during most of the season after her Olympic win, only to perform at a much lower quality at Nats and Worlds than she had in previous years. Then suddenly she was gone completely.

Mike: Ryan Jahnke, underrated? Well, when a skater finishes last at a GP event and can't land even ONE single triple jump, well, that skater does not deserve our praise, no matter how much potential he may have. It has to be there when it counts. I don't think he's done that yet.
:\ :rolleye: