Be Good Johnny Weir on Sundance | Golden Skate

Be Good Johnny Weir on Sundance

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
This is showing right now on the Sundance Channel. The first episode starts in the 2005-2006 season, then goes back to 2001 Jr. Worlds. RIght now it's the disaster of 2003, followed by the triumph of 2004. Lots of interesting stuff. He started skating because of Oksana Baiul. He started on roller skates, and people told his mother he should be figure skating. His longtime coach Priscilla Hill was the first lady figure skater to land a triple loop in competition, although they didn't say when. The show is 1.5 hours long. The next episode will focus on 2008 Worlds.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
2003, that was the Nationals from hell when freak accidents took Johnny out and the ref stopped Savoie because he ripped his pants down by his ankle (and Dick Button thoroughly ticked me off because he ranted about how he stopped... um, yeah, the ref told him to, you dolt!)

This is going to get so many people interested in skating! :rock:

We don't get Sundance... yet. Does anyone know if they are they going to rerun it? When?

Calm down, silverling. You sound very young. It will be out on DVD in a year or two! Meanwhile, go see him in shows and in the Olympics on TV!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ooo don't die that wouldn't be good ;) hee hee j/k

I wouldn't doubt that it will end up on youtube in part or full... and it may even make its way to DVD... or try a tape trade board.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I watched the premiere, and now I'm watching it again-love it. Can't wait to see more. :rock:

Some of his top competitors make brief appearances, being interviewed etc. Others appear briefly too including Sasha, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano. Oksana is there too, she says Johnny is her 'favorite' and her 'best friend'. Very cute moment when she and Weir are posing and Baiul tells him to lift her up. Johnny is quite strong-Oksana is not a waifish, tiny little thing anymore. Johnny was inspired to skate because of Oksana.

Weir has a bubble bath moment with his 'best friend' whom he rooms with. With same 'best friend' Paris he bounces on top of him on a bed (Johnny's back is to him but he's on top). He takes on Mark Lund who made comments for Weir being himself-but refusing to come out Lund's way. Johnny does it Johnny's way-which is how it should be. He says whom he's in the bedroom with, or whether he 'dates Sienna Miller or Orlando Bloom', is a 'private' matter. The show ends with a Johnny rap as the credits roll but I can't tell who the performer is-it sounds very Eminemesque.

They showed Johnny in his briefs getting a tan, modeling on the runway, they don't show entire skating performances but you see enough to get the gist of his skating-and that of his competitors like Lysacek and Joubert. BTW the shots of Johnny and Evan when they were skating as little boys are SO cute-just doll babies both of them. Now for some they're hunks in different ways, for different people.

One of the most adorable scenes is Johnny going back to Cowtown, USA (I grew up there too) his hometown in Pennsylvania. Johnny goes back to his elementary school. The Principal and Weir's first grade teacher both say nice things about Johnny. His dad and aunt are there to give him moral support I suppose-but he doesn't need it. When he steps into his old school's auditorium the children give him a huge cheer-and ask him the cutest, sweetest most innocent questions in the world as any child would do. In answer to a few questions from the munchkins he says he started skating at 12 'not much older than you', 'no I'm not a millionaire-yet', 'no I'm not as famous as say-Britney Spears' which gets a laugh from the children. Nice shot of Joubert at one of the competitions backstage with no shirt on. ;)

Priscilla was very gracious to appear for this-since Johnny left her for Galina. They don't show the actual breakup but you see the tension and that it's coming-and in the aftermath Hill says she understands but that it still 'hurts' and hopes she and Johnny can still have a relationship in years to come.

Galina seems no-nonsense and you see Petrenko also coaching Johnny. Johnny says he needs a coach not a friend.

I wish I could record this and upload this for Johnny's Angels who can't see it yet-but sadly I don't have the equipment. I'm sure it will be up on youtube in no time.

I'm going from memory here so I am sorry if I got any Johnny quotes wrong!

I hope these tidbits help a little for his fans who can't see his series yet. :)

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you sooooo much! I much appreciate that.

I know how you feel-I was almost dying myself when I was blocked online from seeing skating/gymnastics online due to copyright laws during the Olympics. I finally snuck around that thanks to fans though. :biggrin:

Some info on Priscilla-I'm sorry to say I'd never heard of her before Johnny, and I had no idea she was the first woman to land the triple loop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priscilla_Hill

Per the wiki page: She won the bronze medal at the U. S. Figure Skating Championships in 1978 and the silver in 1981. In 1975 she land a triple loop in competition, at the Prague Skate in Czechoslovakia. She finished 9th at the 1978 World Figure Skating Championships and 7th in 1981.[1] She missed the 1980 Olympic season due to injury and was not able to challenge for a spot on the Olympic team.

Some Priscilla vintage skates from youtube:
1978 Worlds LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHEz5iYrGhI
1981 U.S. Nationals LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAg5bbd58M

Ot but I just watched Elaine Zayak's LP from the same 1981 competition-she was truly the power jumper of her day!

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I believe that it's also available on itunes today. I did DVR it last night but haven't watched it yet...can't wait to see it!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Great show. It confirmed what I already knew about Johnny, a huge talent that went to naught. To win junior nationals after 3 years of skating is unfathomable. Not only that he but skated expressivley with good technique... I forgot how delightful his jumps were in the Dr. Zhivago days. Wow. That 3 axel/ 3 toe was better than Jeremey's this year.
Since then he has behaves more like a spoiled child. I am sorry fans, I was a fan too but when you care more about your costume than your skating that seems like such a waste of God-given talent.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great show. It confirmed what I already knew about Johnny, a huge talent that went to naught. To win junior nationals after 3 years of skating is unfathomable. Not only that he but skated expressivley with good technique... I forgot how delightful his jumps were in the Dr. Zhivago days. .

I loved, loved, loved his skating back then and defended him every single time anyone criticized his skating. Johnny still has good technique now, but it's the complex choreography and transitions and COP strategizing that is missing from the equation now, particularly in the LP, which is where he typically loses ground. I really got a kick out of his reality show and I love his off-ice personality!:love: He's so funny, entertaining, and interesting, like someone I'd want as a friend. :)