Sports Media Watch: "Figure skating tops non-NFL sporting events" in ratings | Golden Skate

Sports Media Watch: "Figure skating tops non-NFL sporting events" in ratings

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sports Media Watch: "Figure skating tops non-NFL sporting events" in ratings

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2010/01/figure-skating-tops-non-nfl-sporting.html

Airing opposite the Jets/Chargers Divisional Round game, coverage of the Men's Free Skate at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships drew a 1.8 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon.

On Saturday, coverage of the Pairs Free Skate and the Men's Short Program drew a 1.4 overnight, the second-highest of the weekend for a non-NFL sporting event on broadcast.

Sorry folks...I was watching football :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
you missed some fantastic sporting events.

Not to worry, all eyes on skating this Saturday ;) :rock:

On Sunday though I'll DVR the gala and watch the NFC championship (unless it's a blowout- but I seriously think this could be a good game)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ladies... zzzzzzzzzzz

the men and dance are where it's at! :rock: (and pairs, too, holy cow was that fantastic!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know what they say...different strokes, man- I couldn't bear to sit through pairs or dance. And don't get me started on men. :laugh:

Ladies for me, Americans or no Americans. But besides that...I hope this is a thriller for me every bit as much as 2003 and 2004...

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I wonder, if Ladies ends up not reaching this small distinction, will NBC finally take the hint?

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's unlikely the way the schedule has been laid out. The ladies (and dance) are on Saturday; no NFL games that day. Also, the ladies final will be in prime time, which likely will translate to a somewhat bigger audience. If Cohen skates, that could generate some additional layman interest in the event as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder, if Ladies ends up not reaching this small distinction, will NBC finally take the hint?

or it could wipe skating off the board all together. the big whigs aren't about to change their thinking.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I actually watched the Jets game a taped the Men's LP to watch that night away from my brother and dad, who are great to watch the Jets with but are annoying to cheer Evan and Jeremey on with.

The whole of NYC ignored skating and watched the NY Jets It's been a long time since Joe Namath. Hope they get the title of AMAZIN (pronounced uh MAY zin)

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wonder what the ratings were for the stupid basketball game my NBC affiliate showed instead of skating?