Cohen's practice sessions updates? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Cohen's practice sessions updates?

inside edge

On the Ice
I don't think we should be comparing Sasha cohen to the rest just yet. Lets see how she does at Nationals. I just thought she has some great elements. As well, she adds an interesting dynamic to this event. She's got guts to enter. Let's enjoy!

:yes: :yes:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Unless Yuna messes up like she has several times this year. Anything is possible. Mao, Miki, Joannie all could have the skate of their lives and beat a nervous subpar Yuna.

Yuna's spirals have great edges and are very fast. Enough to get her level 4 I believe. Very average position and not to be compared with Michelle or Sasha.

She gets level 4s with high GOEs, 1.20 most of the time, so clearly Yuna's spirals are GOOD. Tara Lepinski was commenting at SA and said when Yuna was doing her spiral sequence "Can't get better spirals".

I don't care how stretched Yuna's leg is she's still gorgeous and wonderful.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yuna's spirals have great edges and are very fast. Enough to get her level 4 I believe. Very average position and not to be compared with Michelle or Sasha.

Whether you can put your foot in your ear, so to speak, is only one feature for spiral sequences and is only be one bullet for GOE criteria. Most GOE criteria for spirals is more related to speed, flow, and edging (which is "why" Yuna gets good GOEs on her "average looking" L4 spiral). ;)

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Whether you can put your foot in your ear, so to speak, is only one feature for spiral sequences and is only be one bullet for GOE criteria. Most GOE criteria for spirals is more related to speed, flow, and edging (which is "why" Yuna gets good GOEs on her "average looking" L4 spiral). ;)

Well, USFSA's guidelinje for making +GOE of single elemets are
1.good flow, energy and execution
2.good speed during sequence
3.GOOD BODY LINE AND FULL EXTENSION
4.MINIMAL DELAY BETWEEN SPIRAL POSITIONS
5.GOOD FLEXIBILITY
6.CREATIVITY AND ORIGINALITY
7.ABILITY TO ATTAIN POSITIONS AND VARIATIONS QUICKLY AND EFFORTLESSLY
8.ELEMENT MATCHED TO THE MUSIC STRUCTURE

I do not believe Yu-na's spiral sequence has no.3-8. But Sasha's has all of them.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is hysterical. After watching a couple of clips from a practice session at Nationals, there are some who believe Sasha Cohen will beat Yu-Na Kim. I have truly heard it all now. :laugh::rofl::chorus:

R.D.

Record Breaker
This thread is hysterical. After watching one practice session at Nationals, there are some who believe Sasha Cohen will beat Yu-Na Kim. I have truly heard it all now. :laugh::rofl::chorus:

Yeah, honestly...and she's yet to COMPETE...

Anyway, only two hours...I'm beginning to feel the nerves already...THIS is the way watching skating should be :rock:

herro

On the Ice
I don't mind people comparing skaters, but how did this thread (one specifically about Sasha's practice reports) turn into a discussion of why and how Yuna's spiral sequence is good?

Haha, I'm really excited but nervous for tonight though. Go Sashaaaaa!

miki88

Medalist
I don't mind people comparing skaters, but how did this thread (one specifically about Sasha's practice reports) turn into a discussion of why and how Yuna's spiral sequence is good?

Haha, I'm really excited but nervous for tonight though. Go Sashaaaaa!

:laugh: I am wondering about that too. Spirals are pretty but they don't determine the winner. It's more about the jumps, and Yuna definitely win out Sasha in that area.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Sooooooo excited to watch Sasha tonight!! This is the first time in a couple years where I am really intent upon watching the females perform....

I have a question though, is there any link that I can go to see the live stream of the ladies sp? This link, http://www.justin.tv/skate_skate/#r=mWiCzg0, was posted before but it is for the European Championships :scratch: ...

PLEASE HELP and I will be forever in your debt :bow: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
This thread is hysterical. After watching a couple of clips from a practice session at Nationals, there are some who believe Sasha Cohen will beat Yu-Na Kim. I have truly heard it all now. :laugh::rofl::chorus:

Noone says Sasha WILL or WILL not beat Yu-na. I am saying that Sasha has great quality in her skating that Yu-na does not have. And I believe that it is possible Sasha can beat Yu-na. Whether it is going to happen or not is all depends on how Sasha skates at Spokane and get an opportunity to go against Yu-Na at the Olympic.
That is all. Sasha does everything better than Yu-na except some jumps. And figure skating is not all about jumps. You all know that. You can laugh at Sasha fan like us all you want.
BTW Silverlake22 is the one who brought up Yu-na to this thread. It seems Silverlake is a very entusiastic fan of Yu-na.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SASHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock::rock:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I'm so excited I'll lock myself in my office and watch the SP this evening (Sydney time) while pretending to work!

So what levels and GOEs do you think her non jump elemets will get, taking into account all the bullet points? I mean her edging was considered her weakness, right? Despite her suberb lines, charisma, musicality, etc.?

herro

On the Ice
You know what surprised me about her skating now? The jumps I have seen her do seem more secure now than they were back in 2006, for some reason. Maybe it's because I haven't seen her skating in awhile, but they seem more comfortable (even a bit higher - though I can't tell from the online videos too well). Her SPEED is remarkable too, especially because I have been moaning and groaning about skaters being slow this season!

Also, her 3-3 attempt seemed very real, from what I've seen. Maybe she'll be adventurous and throw that in somewhere.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
HIKKI, I am soooooooooooo excited, too. I hope she will execute all the elements as well as she always do. Of course she should get +10GOE on everything!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is she usually adventurous?

No, not with regard to the 3/3, because when she has been it hasn't worked out. Plus, she and Mr. Nick (and Lori Nichol) are very COP-savvy. So they haven't needed to rely on the 3/3.

ETA: OTOH, skating people reported seeing her do 3/3's months ago before she even announced her return. So maybe this is the "surprise" Mr. Nicks mentioned? Who knows??

Nerves, fear, uncertainty - it's all just part of the magic of Sasha! Isn't it great to have her back?!? (Who cares about a few bitten nails???)

You might want to have a Pepto Bismol (TM) handy, just in case.
:biggrin:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Noone says Sasha WILL or WILL not beat Yu-na. I am saying that Sasha has great quality in her skating that Yu-na does not have. And I believe that it is possible Sasha can beat Yu-na. Whether it is going to happen or not is all depends on how Sasha skates at Spokane and get an opportunity to go against Yu-Na at the Olympic.
That is all. Sasha does everything better than Yu-na except some jumps. And figure skating is not all about jumps. You all know that. You can laugh at Sasha fan like us all you want.
BTW Silverlake22 is the one who brought up Yu-na to this thread. It seems Silverlake is a very entusiastic fan of Yu-na.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SASHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock::rock:

Guilty. Only because I saw her live though!

Anyways enough about Yuna, I'm excited to see the American girls tonight!!!!! 20 MINUTES AHHHHH