Championship Ladies SP | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies SP

R.D.

Record Breaker
ITA and several posters have made the same observation.

Mirai should have a much bigger lead and IMO if anyone was held up by the judges last night it was Rachael and Ashley.

I think Rachel deserved a big score for that performance. Granted, I wasn't expecting 69 (she was the first contender to skate)- I thought, maybe 64/65. So, by giving Rachel 69, the judges backed themselves into a corner to give Cohen and Nagasu more than that

As for Wagner, she's DEFINITELY gotten a score boost just to keep her in contention. But in all honesty, based on the way they scored the other three I DON'T think it's outrageous. The score difference is about the same. They all attacked the SP, Wagner fell and lost points, but otherwise was pretty good. Czisny and Zhang, OTOH, let their mistakes derail the performance. That's why Wagner still has a shot and they don't. Simple.

i love to skate

Medalist

Mirai should have a much bigger lead and IMO if anyone was held up by the judges last night it was Rachael and Ashley.

How was Rachael held up? :scratch: She did a triple-triple and had a very charming and solid skate. In the PCS, Rachael won two categories (Tranistions and Interpretation), Mirai won two categories (P/E and Skaitng Skills) and they tied for Choreography. It seems pretty fair to me.

darializa

Rinkside
I was very proud of Mirai last night! It seems she has grown up a lot. I have always enjoyed her skating, but it was always a bit too cutsy for my taste. But now, with some maturity mixed in, she is really delightful. I really enjoyed her SP.

I think that Sasha skated well, especially for being out of the competitive scene for almost four years. However, I really do think that she should have been dinged for her 3flutz. Mirai received an ! for her 3Lz and I think that Sasha should have at least received that also. Even Scott said that the judges seemed to ignore the fact that she took off on an inside edge. It was clear when they showed the combo in slow-mo. I don't think the international judges will be as kind.

janetfan

Match Penalty
No, Mirai flutzes badly as well. It just doesn't make sense to give it to one and not the other. Sasha's is painfully obvious and the tech panel obviously chose to ignore it. The lutz also looked to be under-rotated as others have said.

It might be "painful" to you but not me. I love Sasha's stylish skating. Mirai too.

i love to skate

Medalist
It might be "painful" to you but not me. I love Sasha's stylish skating. Mirai too.

That's great that you love their stylish skating. However, Sasha still flutzes and an international panel won't ignore it like the panel did here. It doesn't make any sense that Mirai was penalized and Sasha was not.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty

No she should not.

Carolina Kostner has almost the same program and she got 65.X. Carolina Kostner's SS, Execution, Transitions look better than Mirai.

In an international event, Rachael would be in the 63-64 range with that skate.
Mirai would not get higher than 63.
Sasha would be in the high 50.

Ashley, Sasha were held up.
Mirai and Rachael deserve top 2. Just that they inflated both scores. One isn't better than the other to deserve "much better" lead.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Just watched Sasha and Mirai's SP on you tube. Sasha was amazing:love: Her footwork, spiral sequence, and her spins:love: 3F looked great! I couldn't tell if she flutzed though. Great performance!!:clap: Mirai was wonderful! Very deserving of the lead, she seemed so confident! It suits her. ThEse ladies got my vote for the Olympic team! Rachel has great talent but those spin positions:eek:....

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's great that you love their stylish skating. However, Sasha still flutzes and an international panel won't ignore it like the panel did here. It doesn't make any sense that Mirai was penalized and Sasha was not.

It depends on how we look at it and what we enjoy about skating.
I respect your knowledge and your opinions but seeing Sasha last night was great for me and many other fans. I won't spend a minute worrying or criticizing her skating. It made me happy and I enjoyed it more than seeing just about any other skater.

That is what it meant to me and not a problem if others see it differently. But my mind won;t change and I was thrilled and proud of Sasha last night. :clap:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner has almost the same program and she got 65.X. Carolina Kostner's SS, Execution, Transitions look better than Mirai.

Carolina Kostner is not in Spokane, she is in Italy. :yes:
We can worry about her later:yes:
I say we live in the now:rock:
I say Mirai rocked the house:clap:

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Carolina Kostner is not in Spokane, she is in Italy. :yes:
We can worry about her later:yes:
I say we live in the now:rock:
I say Mirai rocked the house:clap:

I was trying to make a point that Mirai's score was appropriate for the evening. What do people expect her to score? 75 because Rachael was 69?
In a real competition, her score and Rachael's score would not differ by much. Girlfriend flutzed, did 3-2, and scored 40+ on TES?
Both will have shady PCS compare to someone like Carolina Kostner.
So whatever lead you think Mirai should have over Rachael is :rofl: :yes:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
No, she's actually in Estonia right now where the European Championships are being held this year. Plus, she's currently leading the ladies after the SP

Lol, It was the first place that popped into my head:laugh: Good for her though!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I was trying to make a point that Mirai's score was appropriate for the evening. What do people expect her to score? 75 because Rachael was 69?
In a real competition, her score and Rachael's score would not differ by much. Girlfriend flutzed, did 3-2, and scored 40+ on TES?
Both will have shady PCS compare to someone like Carolina Kostner.
So whatever lead you think Mirai should have over Rachael is :rofl: :yes

Actually No. Like I said Rachel has alot of talent, but her landings were shaky without a doubt. And when you look at the whole program, Mirai should clearly have the lead. Her footwork was wonderful, better transitions into jumps. Her landings were not at all shaky, BEAUTIFUL layback spin:love:. I think your a little biased on this one. And since when is Nationals not a real competition?:scratch:

iceminx

On the Ice
:clap::biggrin:

Gee, I just clicked on my IN, and didn't know who any of the skaters were, lol, but I finally found the schedule & now see who the various skaters are. :) I couldn't figure out who the really pretty one was until I saw the schedule & said "aha, that must be Alissa Czisny".

GOOOOOO ALL THE LADIES!!!!

I call BS on Flatt getting a higher PCS than Nagasu for their respective performances in the SP. Sure, both ladies were energetic and charming, but Nagasu had much greater speed and confident command of the ice, not to mention she had much better posture than Flatt and her sloppy positions. Instead, Flatt walks away with the second highest PCS of the evening. I know Nagasu is in first, but it's the principle of the thing. Bad scoring is bad scoring and should be called out.

"sloppy positions":laugh::bow:
It IS the principle...

:eek:

Ouch- zinger from Jenny Kirk- she just tweeted: "Not loving this dress. Looks like she should be at a gay pride parade."

Jenny is a Sasha fan...

I'm getting nervous for Sasha! I want her to do well, and she must be so nervous. ah! OMG that was SO good!! Go Sasha!! That was AWESOME!!

and Mirai....

omg Mirai! I am nervous!! her jumps look clean! compared to Flatt, she is SO fast. WOW!!! totally deserved. she was so crisp!

also...
*Okay, so what we know: Alissa and Caroline probably won't make the team.
*omg that leg kick. that is so dangerous!! *(who is this about?)*
* Not loving this dress. Looks like she should be at a gay pride parade. (*Ellie Kawamura*)

Mirai getting a little ambitious here: FSO retweeted this remark:

"Mirai Nagasu,16, is in first place. Said she's the future of US figure skating & that the state of US women's skating is "an embarrassment."

it IS an embarassment!:yes:

I think she said "there's always next year"

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
it IS an embarassment!:yes:

Actually, now that I've listened to the actual interviews, it appears she was misquoted/misinterpreted a bit. She said she WANTS to be the future of US skating, not that she IS the future.

miki88

Medalist
I think Mirai has the potential to become the future star of US skating. Rachel has consistent jumps but she just lacks that 'it' factor to become a star.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
<snip>
As for icons- I think Sasha is every bit as iconic as Michelle Kwan.
<snip>

Not a chance. Kwan is the Statue of Liberty of skating icons, the Mount Rushmore, the Old Faithful-at-Yellowstone of icons. In comparison, Cohen is merely a tiny wannabe icon with some uber flexibility. In 50 years' time, sports historians and future skating fans will still be remembering Kwan--I doubt the same for Cohen.

As to the SP, Sasha should have been dinged on that combo for flutzing, underrotation, and 2-footing. I finally was able to get watch the video in slo-mo and it was obvious the first time I looked at it. Why the tech panel didn't call this is :scratch: Magic Sasha fairy dust sprinkled over them before the start?

As per the other disciplines we've seen this past week, I think the #1 and #2 finishers will go to the Olympics. (Mathman is always right on this kind of stuff. :biggrin: ) What's unclear is for the FS, how many gifts will Sasha get to put her in one of those two top positions, if she makes the sort of bobbles that are judgment calls rather than obvious wipeouts. I don't think she'll get any big favors if she does a splatfest.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually, now that I've listened to the actual interviews, it appears she was misquoted/misinterpreted a bit. She said she WANTS to be the future of US skating, not that she IS the future.

Actually she also pointed out that her name "Mirai" means "the future" and that she hopes to live up to her name.

Go Mirai :rock:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not a chance. Kwan is the Statue of Liberty of skating icons, the Mount Rushmore, the Old Faithful-at-Yellowstone of icons. In comparison, Cohen is merely a tiny wannabe icon with some uber flexibility. In 50 years' time, sports historians and future skating fans will still be remembering Kwan--I doubt the same for Cohen.

As to the SP, Sasha should have been dinged on that combo for flutzing, underrotation, and 2-footing. I finally was able to get watch the video in slo-mo and it was obvious the first time I looked at it. Why the tech panel didn't call this is :scratch: Magic Sasha fairy dust sprinkled over them before the start?

As per the other disciplines we've seen this past week, I think the #1 and #2 finishers will go to the Olympics. (Mathman is always right on this kind of stuff. :biggrin: ) What's unclear is for the FS, how many gifts will Sasha get to put her in one of those two top positions, if she makes the sort of bobbles that are judgment calls rather than obvious wipeouts. I don't think she'll get any big favors if she does a splatfest.

We will know soon! I really don't think Sasha needs to go to the Olympics a 3rd time but w/e

Also, how hard do people think it will be for Ashley to make the Oly team? 8 points isn't a ton but is substantial. I mean, Ryan was 13 points below Johnny after the SP and still finished 5 points behind him overall even after he did two quads and Johnny popped his 3a into a 1a and had a few other bobbles. The men also have 8 jumping passes while the ladies only have 7. Ashley doesn't have a 3-3 so I don't know where she will make those points up unless two of Rachael, Mirai, and Sasha make big mistakes.