Championship Ladies SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies SP

R.D.

Record Breaker
Everyone being so spread out took some of the suspense out of it but it was still a good one, full of mixed emotions of course.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Okay, looks like it's between the Top 4:

Mirai & Sasha virtually tied for 1st place after the short.

And Rachael only a few points behind, easy to catch up & overtake as the FS is her specialty.

It's Ashley Wagner I worry about. She's like 7 pts. behind Rach? No too good, this is the thing I was worried about all year, she doesn't have the mindset to win it all. Bombs when the pressure is on (e.g. last year at Nationals bombed the SP, but pulled up in the FS to place 4th, then bombed at Jr. Worlds, which she should have won). These important competitions tell the true story. I don't want anybody on the team that cannot bring it when it counts (aka Alisssa Czisny, which is why I didn't want her on the team).

My predictions from last year still stand: Rach & Sasha.

BUT, Mirai has surprised me a bit, she could win it all on Saturday again with all UR jumps. And then go to the Olympics & be dinged, and finished far behind Rachael.

ALSO, so can Sasha, as her jumps looked wobbly out there, and this was only the SP. I don't know, kinda have a bad feeling about this, judges won't be giving her any gifts (as evidenced here, especially with Mirai in the mix). I just don't know, fellow Sasha Fans. :(

That said, keep up the eternal hope, and may they ALL skate their very very best on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!:rock::clap::love::cool:

cornell08

Final Flight
Interesting--Ashley's TES is higher than Christina Gao's. Dying to see those protocols.

I was lucky enough to see this in HD via Universal Sports on the flatscreen so all the errors were really apparent. Gao slightly stepped/turned out of the second triple of her combination, leaned forward on the flip and had a slight blip going into her footwork I think. Still though, impressive debut!

Sasha was great but I actually thought it wasn't as memorable as alot of her old programs. She was reserved and had mentioned to Nicks afterwards that her stomach felt weird.

Joe Jacobsen must be sweating right now....pairs poachers coming from all sides to court Dobbs away, and a final flight skate!

The night belonged to Mirai. She had sass, spunk, a smile that lit up the arena, speed, and big SOLID jumps! She owned it and was the ONLY lady to throw it all down in completely uninhibited joy.

Yay Mirai, Gao and Dobbs!! :love:

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's all relative. That was about 8 points worst than Nagasu, with the fall and one point deduction. Makes sense to me.

Too bad, Alissa missed the last group by just one place (7th place). If she just made one mistake instead of two, she would have been in 4th or 5th.

Yes. Her fall was worse than Ashley's though. On her combination. And she'd been nailing that all season. It was nice to see Ashley fight throughout. Good for her. That's already a huge difference from last year - shows her mental toughness.

ForgetMyUserName

Rinkside
No edge call for Cohen just some -GOEs on the combo! :agree:

So now you are denying the flutz ever happened.lol Gee and the fanatical Sasha fanatic(TM) label doesn't fit you MUCH. Lmao

Now back to ignore and off to bed with that poor child of your's future is such turmoil. Sad really.

Last edited:
OMG, I'm so sleepy. Took a break from IN to watch on TV.

I can relax - Sasha made her comeback and did it with a bang. VOILA. The limits of someone so talented are so far beyond the imagination of cynics. Who knows what will happen Saturday but SHE DID IT. :bow: :party: :love: :clap: :rock:

Ashley - what a wonderful skater. This is one of my favorite programs of the season - the music is so emotional! :thumbsup: :yes: :agree:

I still feel the Oly team should be Sasha and Mirai or Ashley. But they have to earn it. What an interesting night it will be. I will definitely have to saddle up with pizza, popcorn and wine!

I enjoyed several of the younger skaters esp. Becky Bereswill - my goodness, what a patrician beauty, she looks like a young Cindy McCain. (I know that comparison will get me far on GS. :rofl:) And the one named Kayla? Caela? age 16. Bebe... oh, please girl listen to Uncle Joesitz and dump the flip!!!! Love you, honey.

Bedtime for me! Thanks so much to everyone for the companionship... and:

C ON G R A T U L A T I O N S , S A S H A !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P R A Y E R S F O R S A T U R D A Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rock::bow::love::yes::clap:

camion

On the Ice
I really feel for Alyssa. She is such a beautiful skater, but consistency is just not there. She should just skate her heart out in the free skate. She has nothing to lose. I also really like Caroline. I hope she fixes her high kick so she could come up strong in the next Olympic cycle. Ashley is a fighter so I never count her out. The competition isn't over yet. Mirai & Sasha had great skates, but they need to stay focused. And Rachael is such a solid skater. I hope everyone has no regrets on Saturday! And thank you guys for the reports!!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nagasu, Cohen and Flatt in a virtual tie at the top. Wagner about 7 pts behind. I dunno...can Wagner catch them up to snag a spot on the Oly team?

Does everyone agree that the race for the two spots has been reduced to these Four, and the rest of the competitors are just fighting for 3rd place at this point?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Okay, looks like it's between the Top 4:

Mirai & Sasha virtually tied for 1st place after the short.

And Rachael only a few points behind, easy to catch up & overtake as the FS is her specialty.

It's Ashley Wagner I worry about. She's like 7 pts. behind Rach? No too good, this is the thing I was worried about all year, she doesn't have the mindset to win it all. Bombs when the pressure is on (e.g. last year at Nationals bombed the SP, but pulled up in the FS to place 4th, then bombed at Jr. Worlds, which she should have won). These important competitions tell the true story. I don't want anybody on the team that cannot bring it when it counts (aka Alisssa Czisny, which is why I didn't want her on the team).

My predictions from last year still stand: Rach & Sasha.

BUT, Mirai has surprised me a bit, she could win it all on Saturday again with all UR jumps. And then go to the Olympics & be dinged, and finished far behind Rachael.

ALSO, so can Sasha, as her jumps looked wobbly out there, and this was only the SP. I don't know, kinda have a bad feeling about this, judges won't be giving her any gifts (as evidenced here, especially with Mirai in the mix). I just don't know, fellow Sasha Fans. :(

That said, keep up the eternal hope, and may they ALL skate their very very best on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!:rock::clap::love::cool:

Re Ashley, I dunno. It's like I said: the fact that she didn't give up and attacked the rest of her program showed her mental toughness has improved. It's just that with two spots there's no room for error ... but that will be true for the top three in the FS. It ain't over til it's over.
Mirai didn't surprise me. She's been skating her SP well all season. She lived up to my expectations. Rachael surprised me. I thought her SP was the best it's been all season.

cornell08

Final Flight
Nagasu, Cohen and Flatt in a virtual tie at the top. Wagner about 7 pts behind. I dunno...can Wagner catch them up to snag a spot on the Oly team?

Does everyone agree that the race for the two spots has been reduced to these Four, and the rest of the competitors are just fighting for 3rd place at this point?

Yes. If there's going to be a dark horse at this point, I'd say its Gao. Her long program is money.

Poor Caroline....my heart ached for her and yet, it had to happen.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

I think so--it's unlikely all 4 of the top skaters will have meltdowns big enough to allow another skater or two to pass them by. But 4CC and Jr. Worlds (for the age eligible) are definitely still in play.

Two ladies I missed and would have loved to have seen: Meissner and Maxwell. I think a healthy Kimmie might have pleasantly surprised us, and Angela ended up #8 last year, which ain't too shabby.

Edit: Add a 3rd skater to my Missing in Action list: Kristine Musademba.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker

Yes, it's hard not to see it any other way. Oh, Alissa....
I think Wagner is still in the running but she's a bit at the mercy of what the others do.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
That was very interesting... the free skate is going to be real interesting. I think Ashley went for it a bit too much... she even admit it to Joyce. Joyce actually gave her most restrained performance this time... I give her 55.34 (Joyce, that is.) Ashley is not behind enough to be out of the running and we know she's a better LP skater.

Wonder if Mirai is going to be like at SC. Great SP but poor FS, It would be nice to see her keep it together but she is a precocious teenager.

Cohen really fought to keep it together in the SP and did a very commendable program, especially considering long layoff but the FS is the real test. If she can stay on her feet, she'll be on the team to NBC's delight.

Flatt is going to be solid. I just have a feeling. She will be on the team I feel. Such a consistent competitor.

Ah, we have the little Gao in fifth place. Too far behind but she's definitely the future. I wonder how soon she can upgrade her 3/3 and she still does need to work on her presentation a bit.

Dobbs... what a surprise. A pairs skater.

Alissa... oh man... you really dug a big hole for yourself... forget about making the team but show us a great skate in the FS, okay?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I think Wagner is still in the running but she's a bit at the mercy of what the others do.

I'm feeling good for Saturday..now she's so motivated to fight...she needs to rest her mind after that crazy wait, poor Ash! I've faith.

Nadine

Record Breaker
11:30PM here in Seattle, Washington, and I am reflecting on the competition. Overall I have a sour taste in my mouth, wasn't a good competition, not really. Now the Men at Euros, that's a competition!:thumbsup:

I'm glad now that I didn't reserve seats on Alaska Airlines to Spokane on Saturday (will save that $700+ for something far more gratifying).;)

I really don't care who wins on Saturday, just don't let it be another mediocre competition.

The only real highlight for me was when Rachael Flatt set the bar so high at the very beginning ~ only woman to do a 3/3 combo. ~ and she did have spark! Reminiscent of a 1940's Flapper Girl; it's just her poor spins & spirals lose points all the time & rightfully so. Still, if she skates like she did at SA, she'll easily be on the team. She's the only one out of the Top 4 with the mental toughness of Michelle Kwan & whom doesn't usually UR her jumps.

The other spot, meh, I have a bad feeling for Sasha, unfortunately. It will most likely go to Mirai Nagasu (Ashley's way too far behind).

That's how I call it. Goodnight everyone! :)

ps: I do have a temper & it showed earlier this evening, but as I've said numerous times before in real life I have the option to ignore, not here. Thus, my temper got the better of me, no PC excuse. And I still stand by ALL my comments.:cool: