Championship Ladies SP | Page 45 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies SP

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Wagner is still in the running but she's a bit at the mercy of what the others do.

Agreed. She has to nail it AND depend on mistakes from at least two of the others. As for the top three, well, they control their own fate. Nail the FS and you're on the team. I do think Rachel is in the best position now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think we're in for a real treat/fight on Saturday.
I don't agree with some of the folks on here that Ashley is out of it. You can sense that she's already moved on and ready to mentally prepare herself for the LP.
And a virtual tie at the top with Sasha, Mirai and Rachel. I think people really think Mirai will screw up in the LP with the downgrades, but I have this feeling that she might surprise everyone. She was fierce! And I think that will help her.

Gao is unlikely going to get on the Olympic team, I think, but she could be a potential contender for bronze if we see some meltdowns at the top. I'm also impressed with Dobbs' performance, looks like that despite her content not being as difficult, her GOE really helped her here. Don't know what her LP is like, so will refrain from speculating about it.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Remember Joanie Rottchett have a fall on triple lutz, still earn more than 64 points. So, there is no suprise with flatt score with a downgrade 3-3.

What makes you think Flatt's 3-3 was downgraded? In slo-mo, it's definitely not.
Both Sandra and Scott said the 3T was fully rotated. Scott can be unreliable when it comes to calling rotation, but Sandra will tell it like it is. She's too negative to call something borderline borderline.

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
Rachael was grossly overscored. She barely hung onto the jumps and gets a 69 with higher PCS than Mirai?! BASED ON WHAT?? Surely not speed or jumps...her 3-3 wasn't even as good as Gao's. Mirai skated clean, great landings etc etc...luckily the rest of the scoring, Flatt aside, was more or less on target. Please, do not hold up that girl scout.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh well, bed time for me. The FS WILL be the nail-biter that I wanted it to be...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rachael was grossly overscored. She barely hung onto the jumps and gets a 69 with higher PCS than Mirai?! BASED ON WHAT?? Surely not speed or jumps...her 3-3 wasn't even as good as Gao's. Mirai skated clean, great landings etc etc...luckily the rest of the scoring, Flatt aside, was more or less on target. Please, do not hold up that girl scout.

Everyone was overscored to some extent but If anyone was overscored beyond "nationals bump" I'd say it was Wagner.

cornell08

Final Flight
Everyone was overscored to some extent but If anyone was overscored beyond "nationals bump" I'd say it was Wagner.

Wagner's other two jumps were of better quality than Rachael's. True, everyone was overscored as is how Nationals goes but comparatively Rachael's performance was no where NEAR Nagasu or Cohens. Rachael even admitted she barely hung onto the first two passes. Complete BS.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Free skating order is up.

Dobbs
Gao
Wagner
Cohen
Flatt
Nagasu

Mirai last. A lot of time to get nervous...

Flatt can handle it, though, I have faith in her. :yes:

Wagner and Cohen - not sure what to expect from them. I think Wagner will attack her FS coming from behind- she seems to be an LP skater- and Cohen is the opposite. Based on what I saw in the SP I'd be really, REALLY surprised at a clean performance from her (Cohen).

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wagner's other two jumps were of better quality than Rachael's. True, everyone was overscored as is how Nationals goes but comparatively Rachael's performance was no where NEAR Nagasu or Cohens. Rachael even admitted she barely hung onto the first two passes. Complete BS.

But scoring aside, who would you put in 3rd instead of Rachael? There's no one. The top three are deservedly the top three.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I'd have to go back and watch Flatt's performance again but I was impressed with what I saw.The normally bland skater was really showing off out there!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai last. A lot of time to get nervous...

Flatt can handle it, though, I have faith in her. :yes:

Wagner and Cohen - not sure what to expect from them. I think Wagner will attack her FS coming from behind- she seems to be an LP skater- and Cohen is the opposite. Based on what I saw in the SP I'd be really, REALLY surprised at a clean performance from her.

Yeah funny, Sasha is still a mystery. Apart from whether she can hold it together, we still don't really know what her LP will be and how technically competitive it will be.

cornell08

Final Flight
But scoring aside, who would you put in 3rd instead of Rachael? There's no one. The top three are deservedly the top three.

Its not like we arrange the skaters after the fact. She was the 3rd best but her score does NOT reflect the difference in performance. A 1 point difference suggests she was on about the same level as Sasha and Mirai and she simply wasn't. She was slow, her jumps had that weird swing at the end....but hey she landed a 3-3, albeit precariously, but lets give her a cookie anyway.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I am watching this on universal sports on tv, and both Sandra and Scott said that Sasha two footed, likely flutzed and would receive downgrades, but the score doesn't seem like she got any DG. I thought she looked extremely nervous (she fixed her shoe 3 times or so), but she held it well, and the performance was pretty impressive considering that she hasn't competed for 4 years. We will see how she does in LP. :)

Yeah, both Sandra and Scott said she 2footed the flutz, underrotated the flip. It's so strange that they don't slo-mo her jumps like they did to Rachael.
I thought I saw the 2foot landing. Not sure about the underrotation flip as it was too fast.

My parents, who couldn't tell a Salchow from a cross-over and only know of Michelle Kwan, thought Sasha was the best. OMG. Can't deny that girl sell it like her mortgage depends on it. =)

Last edited: