Senior CD-Golden Waltz- 1:30 PM EST Jan 21 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior CD-Golden Waltz- 1:30 PM EST Jan 21

wushuang122

Rinkside
So if D/W skate better than B/A, D/W should be held down because B/A are 2009 World silver medalists? Why have a competition then?

If it is ture, I did not mean to dump DW, but I still did not believe it until I watched video since from GFP, BA always awarded with high score in CD portion. So I thought BA are stronger in this portion

Tesla

Final Flight
The difference is the judges mark the Russians higher. Even when they're skating like a certain pair of Russian champions are skating right now.
If Meryl and Charlie actually deserved this, good for them. But did they?

Sounds like both B/A & D/W skated perfectly. Since they are virtually tied, I would say yes.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
If it is ture, I did not mean to dump DW, but I still did not believe it until I watched video since from GFP, BA always awarded with high score in CD portion. So I thought BA are stronger in this portion

Not always. Two years ago, they almost beat B/A on yankee polka at 2008 nationals. I personally thought D/W were better that night, but I think they got held back becuase they were still the younger, less experienced team at the time. I do think Tanith's longer legs make them look better in general, but speed- and transition-wise I think D/W are superior.

Tesla

Final Flight

Did you watch the CD? I haven't, so I have to go off of what doris says. Since I trust doris :)bow:), I would say D/W have greatly improved their CDs and both B/A & D/W deserved their scores. They are virtually tied. It really is too bad that both can't get the gold.

Bruin714

On the Ice
I just do not understand what is USFA thinking now? With DW wins, it is high possibility that US end with no medal in Oly! Look at the history, the medalists are nearly all from the previous Worlds podium except AP in 1998 for the recent three Olys! I expect DS(RUS), V/W will certainly on the podium.

I understand that logic. But D&W are not known for the CD, maybe by beating B&A, this sets them up for Olympic Gold. I keep thinking the CD is the only phase that is holding them back. If their "CD image" improves, they become a much stronger threat.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The protocols are up. Meryl and Charlie won on skating skills and timing, and keeping the energy up in the last segment of the last pattern, as I read these things.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2010/64740/results.html

And here are the placings:

Place Name TSS
= TES
+ PCS
+ SS TI PF IN Deduction
- Start
#
1 Meryl Davis, Arctic FSC
Charlie White, Detroit SC 45.42 22.79 22.63 9.11 9.07 9.04 8.96 0.00 #14
2 Tanith Belbin, IceWorks SC
Benjamin Agosto, IceWorks SC 45.02 22.60 22.42 9.00 8.86 8.96 9.07 0.00 #3
3 Kimberly Navarro, Santa Rosa FSC
Brent Bommentre, Philadelphia SC & HS 37.60 19.43 18.17 7.18 7.14 7.29 7.54 0.00 #15
4 Emily Samuelson, Ann Arbor FSC
Evan Bates, Ann Arbor FSC 37.36 19.23 18.13 7.21 7.21 7.32 7.29 0.00 #12
5 Madison Hubbell, Ann Arbor FSC
Keiffer Hubbell, Ann Arbor FSC 34.33 18.15 16.18 6.50 6.46 6.46 6.43 0.00 #6
6 Madison Chock, All Year FSC
Greg Zuerlein, Arctic FSC 34.12 17.53 16.59 6.54 6.61 6.64 6.79 0.00 #4
7 Jane Summersett, Broadmoor SC
Todd Gilles, Broadmoor SC 30.72 16.00 14.72 5.96 5.82 5.79 5.96 0.00 #8
8 Trina Pratt, Broadmoor SC
Chris Obzansky, Salt Lake Figure Skating 30.43 15.98 14.45 5.82 5.79 5.75 5.71 0.00 #13
9 Lynn Kriengkrairut, All Year FSC
Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, Ann Arbor FSC 30.00 15.91 14.09 5.64 5.61 5.57 5.71 0.00 #10
10 Katie Wyble, Center Ice & Blades of Western PA
Justin Morrow, All Year FSC 23.07 12.50 10.57 4.43 4.07 4.18 4.21 0.00 #9
11 Stephanie Zastrow, St Paul FSC
Michael Lueck, Burnsville-MN Valley FSC 22.58 12.63 9.95 4.25 3.57 4.04 4.11 0.00 #2
12 Grace Cho, IceWorks SC
Dmitry Ponomarev, IceWorks SC 22.39 12.00 10.39 4.36 3.96 4.00 4.29 0.00 #11
13 Shannon Wingle, Arctic FSC
Timothy McKernan, Broadmoor SC 21.75 11.31 11.44 4.71 4.46 4.36 4.75 1.00 #5
14 Lauren Corry, Washington FSC
Alexander Lorello, University of Delaware FSC 19.15 9.87 9.28 3.82 3.46 3.79 3.82 0.00 #7
15 Elizabeth Chan, Skating Club of San Francisco Inc
Jason Deveikis, Ann Arbor FSC 14.39 7.87 6.52 2.57 2.71 2.54 2.57 0.00 #1

fanofskate

Rinkside
... I also thought their interpretation was spot on-light, fast, and lilting. B&A's was lovely, but did not manage the light character of the Golden - too serious and businesslike, for want of a better world.

Doris, first, thank you for your very informative posts. Now, I need more information. Could you define 'lilting' a bit more. Is that the up and down motion we see in waltzes? How different is that from 'bouncy' as you called B/A's waltz?(Unfortunately, I didn't get to see theirs.) I've heard a commentator mention lilting quality re the waltz in some competition a while back. That he would like to see more of it since it's a waltz after all. Does it translate well from floor to ice?

wushuang122

Rinkside
Not always. Two years ago, they almost beat B/A on yankee polka at 2008 nationals. I personally thought D/W were better that night, but I think they got held back becuase they were still the younger, less experienced team at the time. I do think Tanith's longer legs make them look better in general, but speed- and transition-wise I think D/W are superior.

Yes, but since then when BA moved to Natalie, Their CD improved dramaticlly as well, compared their Golden Waltz to they did in 2007 with Ingo, it looks like two different team, especially for timing and extention. As for speed, I do think BA is as good as DW now.ANd also I think the most important thing in CD is not the speed but the timing!

Last edited:

Atena

Rinkside
well, I know that B/A are in 2 oalce now but I fell wonderfull for them cuz their scores were great and it was a wonderfull CD. I canot agree or understand D/W but i totaly respect them so gtreat start for them in this nat :agree:

Good luck to all teams in the OD.

Wicked

Final Flight
Doris, I love your commentary. I try to only watch competitions after I have read what you have to say.

fairly4

Medalist
congratulatons to all--it will be a tight race between b/a and d/w
so good luck.
great skates from both team.s

jcoates

Medalist
Can't wait to see this when I get home. Still I think it's premature to count out either US team's chance in Vancouver based on one segment of this event. D/W's intl scores have been almost on par with V/M's all season even without getting as many level 4s as they would like. DomShabs cd score at Euros was not stratospheric and the teams behind them improved their own cd scores from the GP. Why shouldn't our teams do the same? Plus DomShabs' OD score was four points less than D/Ws season best. Assuming improved CD scores and OD marks at least on par with the GP, who's to say they would not be in medal position heading into the FD? Both US teams have levels they can bring up in their dances despite their already strong intl scores. DomShabs will have to do the same and manage the strain such efforts will apply to his knee.

Lastly, I think a better indicator going into Vancouver of possible judging is the fact that there has not been a dominant team this cycle. None of the top 5 has been on the podium each year and the last two WCs were first time medallists viewed as due for recognition after coming close in the past. In many ways, this is more similar to 1994 than the last three cyles where there was far more consistency among top contenders over the course of the cycle.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
jcoates, I think the general feeling is that politics prevail. And given Frank Carroll's comments over in the men's events, it seems that the American Federation is trying really hard to avoid that.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Man this is close. I think that Davis and White have an edge with the Indian Dance OD which should boost them over the top... I see the FD for the two being really close as well. I assumed that Tanith and Ben would get the edge in the CD and that would be thier best chance at gold. Very interesting, and very fair judging!!!!!:love:

oxade21

Match Penalty
45? Really?
So where is the "OVERSCORING" outrage? or that only happens in Russia or Europe?

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I'm proud of the top three teams. I hope that Kimberly and Brent stay in third for the rest of this Nationals competition. It shall be great if they get that third spot on the olympic team.

jcoates

Medalist
jcoates, I think the general feeling is that politics prevail. And given Frank Carroll's comments over in the men's events, it seems that the American Federation is trying really hard to avoid that.

I agree that it appears that the fed is trying to judge "boosting-free" event. That's been clear thru 2 1/3 events. I think the CD scores actually substantiate that argument b/c of their closeness and based on Doris' assessment. (Headed home now to see for myself). NovBams being in third adds further weight to that point view.

Still I stand by my point that we have two strong teams and I think it's entirely reasonable to think one can make the podium in Vancouver, if not both.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Doris, first, thank you for your very informative posts. Now, I need more information. Could you define 'lilting' a bit more. Is that the up and down motion we see in waltzes? How different is that from 'bouncy' as you called B/A's waltz?(Unfortunately, I didn't get to see theirs.) I've heard a commentator mention lilting quality re the waltz in some competition a while back. That he would like to see more of it since it's a waltz after all. Does it translate well from floor to ice?

Bouncing is not a technical term--it's me describing an up and down motion that isn't flowy, kind of jerky.

Lilting is at least a semi technical term. You can hear commentators get all :love: :love: when a team does it well in a waltz.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAcQkAE

It's kind of a graceful, swingy side to sidish motion in time to the music. (and yes the timing is key...not correct timing ...disaster) If you ever waltzed, it's that side to side swaying motion you do. (now try it while dancing...and skating and dancing)

In fact, if someone asked me what D&W's biggest strength was, I'd tell them it's their ability to get the character of most OD and CDs right or close to right. It's why 220,000 Indians have emailed links to D&W doing Bollywood dancing to each other. Somehow D&W manage to get the character close enough that it's recognizable, even though progressive dances on ice are miles from relatively stationary dances on land and I've never seen an Indian ice dancer. It's the opposite of DomShabs getting aboriginal elders writing letters to the Russian ambassador to Australia complaining about them. If you turn off the music and watch D&W dancing, you are generally in no doubt at all what rhythm/type of CD or OD they are doing. And this is a skill that they have improved on each year.

Their posture is not the best, nor their extension. Their timing is good and their speed and edges are good. But it is their ability to portray character that is awesome.

Last edited:

~tapdancer

On the Ice
The top four teams were wonderful. Fast, sure, just lovely Golden Waltzes. As a serious D/W fan, of course I'm thrilled they are in first. I've had to endure months of reading posts that B/A were going to beat them in the CD, hands down, and it's nice that the judges actually judged the skating here.

D/W were beautiful, I've never seen them skate this close, the turns were sharp, the quality of the lilting waltz very evident in every move, their speed was amazing. Just a fantastic CD for them. B/A were also beautiful, fast and just lovely to watch. Nav/Boms skated the best I've ever seen them in a CD as well. Their expression was great and technically they were spot on. S/B were technically great as well, I thought their connection was just a bit below N/B's, N/B skated more as a couple dancing together so I agree with N/B being slightly above S/B.

All in all, beautiful skating and it's thrilling to see our US dance teams so spectacular. Just a great CD event.