New York Times Article on Costuming | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New York Times Article on Costuming

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I had the "privilege" of seeing the Ice Dance competition at Cup of China in November, and the Russians were in these pink costumes. It was even worse seeing it in real life than in these pictures. Gah! Also at this competition was the Chinese couple in the Cats costumes and makeup--when they came out, it looked like Halloween costumes, no kidding.

And Ice Dance expects to be taken seriously as a sport?! :laugh:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I did know about this rule but can't quote all the fine print bits. It has been dusted off to threaten skaters with in the past, but they never go quite far enough with it and ,and it never lasts for long. Things go on getting wilder and wilder until there's some really egregious infraction. Then they clamp down, and the cycle starts all over. It needs to be consistently enforced.

It was used to come down on Grushina & Goncharov ( I think it was them ) when she was wearing flesh coloured tights and no pantie or trunks over the top.( They had some lovely split positions facing the judges.) A year or two before that , I went to Skate Canada in Kamloops and went to see the dance practices early one morning..there was Grushina in a flesh net body suit with harem pants on the bottom and only jewelled pasties over her nipples. I believe they were spoken to..but should they have been censured more severely ? ( The rink was full of elementary school students on field trips to watch the practices for free . What a great way to interest kids in the sport.)..I think Anissina & Peizerat had to be warned at one time, as well. Not just for too much ruffle down the leg, but for being too uncovered on top. Didn't hurt their results to fix the costume.

For sure you can't dictate taste..but you can believe coaches would pay attention to what their couples would be penalized for. Lest I be accused of prudery , I think too much costume should also be severely penalized. Anything that obscures the body or distracts from what the skaters are doing is already verboten and this should be enforced. Let people have more license in the exhibitions. That's a show.

Last edited: