Championship Ladies FS | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

rtureck

Final Flight
That is not the case.

Mirai got an edge call on her lutz in combo, and got downgraded on her 2A+3T, her solo 3Z and her solo 3T. Kirby commented during her skate that a review would be made on several of her jumps. BTW, Mirai has had a UR problem dating back to the year she made her debut on the JGP.

I totally agree, and I am a huge Mirai fan. I hope she has time to fix her problem before the olys.

Kirby had mentioned the wrong edge and two-foot on Sasha's 3Z+2T in the SP, but the official caller chose to ignore Sasha's flutz at that time.
LOL, I am not surprise tht the official caller chose to ignore Cohen's flutz. A Cohen comeback placing second in the sp is good for media attention,

Rachael Flatt has to be respected for her superior technical skills, nerves of steel and incredible consistency.
And guess who is her skating idol.

She has worked hard over the past three years and has corrected her flutz as well as concentrating on other areas that need improvement, including speed and spins. Maybe her spins aren't top-level, but they are miles better than they were two years ago.

I like to see her improve on her speed for olys

ks777

Record Breaker
I finally got to watch Rachel and Mirai's FP. I fell asleep twice during Rachel's. I thought her 3-3 looked underrotated.

As for Mirai, she was great but her last jump was underrotated. I couldn't tell if other jumps were underrotated or not. All I can say is that her landing has gotten so much better!!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well, I just had my first chance to watch the LPs from the delayed west coast feeds. With benefit of already knowing the results and where the downgrades and edge calls were, I tried to focus on Mirai's jumps to see what I could see (no slo mo opportunity yet tho).
--looks like the ! call on the first lutz combo was correct
--second combo, 2A + 3T, 3T looked clearly underrotated to me in real time
--3Z #2 that was downgraded, I couldn't see the underrotate :scratch:
--final 3T looked really close, I thought landing only slightly short of rotation but still within the allowance...tech caller must have seen more.

Layfan

Record Breaker
NBC didn't show the jumps in slo-mo though. I was just a bit surprised at the result but I guess I'm not up in arms about it because I don't really have evidence that shows that the result should have been otherwise.

That pretty much sums up the way I feel. I thought Mirai had won but when she didn't and it turned out her jumps were under rotated, I thought okay, I can see it even though I'm not convinced. Maybe the point difference between them shouldn't have been so vast, I dunno. Still, judging from all the remarks on this forum Flatt is not a skater who excites a lot of people. She needs to work on that. But Mirai needs to work on her jumps. Whatever, they both skated great and it's awesome they made the team. Also, Mirai doesn't seem at all unhappy with the result so I guess she understands why she was in second.

inside edge

On the Ice
Maybe some of you don't like Rachael Flatt's spins and spirals, but she got L4 on three of her four spins, L3 on the other, and L3 on her footwork. The only negative GOE she got was on her 3F+3T---which Kirby said was rotated but had a stepout (hence the -0.71 GOE). All of her other jumps and her spins and footwork got +GOE. She received no edge calls. Kirby made no negative comments other than on the 3/3.

Ashley got an edge call on her lutz and -GOE on two of her jumps. Kirby mentioned the wrong edge on the lutz and commented on those jump landings.

Mirai got an edge call on her lutz in combo, and got downgraded on her 2A+3T, her solo 3Z and her solo 3T. Kirby commented during her skate that a review would be made on several of her jumps. BTW, Mirai has had a UR problem dating back to the year she made her debut on the JGP.

As much as the audience loved Mirai's performance, there was great cheering when her scores were announced and Rachael had won (and by a large margin). I like Mirai's skating too, but she MUST rotate all her jumps. ISU judges have been very tough on Mirai for her URs, so USFS tech teams have an obligation to be as accurate as possible, or else it would be unfair to the other competitors who ARE rotating their jumps.

Sasha was just a mess, and her lack of training showed. She just didn't have the muscle memory or the stamina to get through a 4-minute program with spins and footwork. That isn't surprising considering the fact that Sasha has really had only a few weeks' practice on 3Z, 3F and 3L. She also had a flutz and 2-foot problem even in her best years, and that hasn't been corrected. Kirby had mentioned the wrong edge and two-foot on Sasha's 3Z+2T in the SP, but the official caller chose to ignore Sasha's flutz at that time. In the FS, Sasha did get an edge call on her opening lutz (and the 2T was again two-footed). Sasha received -GOE on every jump, and Kirby noted that each one was a bit off and would be reviewed. She also received only L1 on her step sequence because she didn't do enough turns. Sasha didn't even get her usual very high +GOE on her spins. In the past, she usually got all 2s and 3s, but here the GOE was mostly 1s with a few 2s and 0s, probably because Sasha lacked energy and speed. When you look at her protocol, it's amazing that she scored as high as she did.

thanks!!!

carolinefan177

On the Ice
It's the PCS score that mostly puzzles me (and I think that deserves to be contested). I'm happy with the results of the competition, a little surprised at the weirdness of the technical caller (the fact that he didn't catch Sasha's wrong edge take off in the sp...Also, contrary to what some people are saying, the triple toe on the back end of Flatt's combo looked about as close to rotation as any of Mirai's UR jumps), stunned at Rachael's FS score, but, in the end, I think we have a decent team.

It's funny that we all are making such a big deal out of it though; Mirai seems pretty happy.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well, I've been gone all day (no, lol, didn't make it to Nationals), and came back this evening just in time for the Ladies Final at 9PM PST.

I noticed my predictions yesterday were right except for 1-2 were switched, and I can see why, though Mirai Nagasu IMHO deserved 1st place, the judges finally gave it to Rachael Flatt this time (after two 2nd place finishes these past two years despite Rach being the most consistent & being the highest place finisher at Worlds). Seems like they want to send her to the Olympics with as much support as possible, which should work wonders on her confidence level -- it'll go from very good to astronomical!

The Final was, once again, mediocre IMHO. I wanted everybody to skate their best and may the best one win. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. But cheers to 1-2, and also 3-4.

Lol, now I'm not so bummed about not getting Nationals tickets, instead my mind is on Olympic Mens Final tickets!:cool:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
After watching this event, my very short conclusion is:

1. Rachael needs to work on flexibilty and musicality.

2. Mirai needs to work on full rotation of her jumps.

3. Christina Gao might just be the next Yuna Kim.

4. Caroline needs to sit back, rest, and think. Period.

5. It wasn't ideal, but at least Sasha Cohen tried, and for that, I respect her.

6. Congrats to Mirai and Rachael for making the team! Hope their first Olympics experience is a good one.:agree:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
After watching this event, my very short conclusion is:

1. Rachael needs to work on flexibilty and musicality.

2. Mirai needs to work on full rotation of her jumps.

3. Caroline needs to sit back, rest, and think. Period.

4. It wasn't ideal, but at least Sasha Cohen tried, and for that, I respect her.

5. Congrats to Mirai and Rachael for making the team! Hope their first Olympics experience is a good one.:agree:

ITA :agree:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because of the URs, Mirai didn't "deserve" first place, but she was thrilled to pieces to place 2nd! I sat directly across from the KnC, and when her score and placement were announced, she positively beamed! No way did she feel robbed.

I don't think for one minute that the USFS in some way fixed it for Rachael to win. Rachael EARNED her win by skating two great programs.

Trewyn

Medalist
So when are they going to announce World and 4CC Teams???

Is there still a chance that Ashley's Turin-bound :(

Nadine

Record Breaker
Yep, now I see Mirai got all sorts of UR calls, exact same scenario at Cup of China, wherein I thought she deserved to win (lol, I was outraged in fact that she didn't), but in the end she ended up 5th place overall due to UR calls.

That said, though Rachael has been a fav of mine, it was Mirai who brought me a little joy tonight, which isn't saying much. Mirai has "IT"; Rachael doesn't, but sometimes there are flashes of brilliance (aka her SP).

But to tell the truth, I feel empty inside for Ladies, have for a loooooooong time in fact. Sometimes there are moments of brilliance (aka 2008 Nationals), but that's it. Nothing since then for me personally. Rather, it is the Men that have finally brought my true joy of skating back!:love:

I really don't even care for any of the ladies, not just the USA ones, not even Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Joannie Rochette, Caroline Kostner, Miki Ando, et al. To be brutally honest I don't. They do nothing for me. I honestly could care less who wins the Olympic Gold Medal.

The Men are the only ones I care about (lol, so ironic, but true).:thumbsup:

Layfan

Record Breaker
So when are they going to announce World and 4CC Teams???

Is there still a chance that Ashley's Turin-bound :(

I just watched the press conference with Rachael and Mirai and they also haven't decided on the alternates for the Olympic team. I wonder why? I can't imagine Ashley won't be an alternate. How many alternates are there, does any one know? I wonder if they are trying to decide if Sasha also deserves to be an alternate.

nylynnr

On the Ice
The alternates for the ladies Oly team are 1. Wagner 2. Cohen 3. Gao.

Don't read too much into delays in announcements.

Layfan

Record Breaker
The alternates for the ladies Oly team are 1. Wagner 2. Cohen 3. Gao.

Don't read too much into delays in announcements.

It was so much the delay in announcement. It was the fact that the u.s. figure skating president told reporters it hadn't been decided yet at all. But thanks for sharing! So, they were straight with that decision, too. Good.

Just watched the medals ceremony for the first time. Sasha smiled broadly the whole time and gave each of the medalists a hug. It must have been special for all three of them to get that hug from someone they admired so much growing up. Awwww.

kandidy

Final Flight
Alternates to the 2010 World team: Ashley Wagner, Sasha Cohen and Beatrisa Liang

2010 Four Continents team: Amanda Dobbs, Alexe Gilles and Caroline Zhang - Alternates: Melissa Bulanhagui and Becky Bereswill