Championship Ladies FS | Page 45 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Are you Scott's employer? Have you seen his contract with NBC?

I don't think either of us knows the terms of his contract and the exact definition of his job.

The fact that he has been doing it for quite a while leads me to believe NBC is OK with Scott's broadcasting of figure skating.

The fact that one's been doing it for a while doesn't mean one is good at it.
What's with all "the fact is"

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did notice at the last Olympics that Dick Button was originally going to sit on the commentary only for ice dance. But after a day of Scott and Sandra, suddenly Dick was on every broadcast.

Why? Because Dick kept Scott from going over the top with his commentary.

Personally, I never could stand Scott's high pitched voice and skewed preferences--even when he liked the same skaters I did.

I suspect Scott insisted on a very long term contract, and NBC didn't bother to consider an alternative.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I did notice at the last Olympics that Dick Button was originally going to sit on the commentary only for ice dance. But after a day of Scott and Sandra, suddenly Dick was on every broadcast.

Personally, I never could stand Scott's high pitched voice and skewed preferences--even when he liked the same skaters I did.

I suspect Scott insisted on a very long term contract, and NBC didn't bother to consider an alternative.

That's possible and I still like hearing Dick Button although I don't know that for me it has any relation to Scott.

I thought Costas did a good job as Button's foil last weekend and they seemed to get along OK - even as Costas was letting us know he thinks the old guy might be missing a few of his marbles. :)

fairly4

Medalist
he may be experienced but he totally missted sasha ur on the long and ashley in the short on the fall--
i am not going to repeat myself about what i really think-but it is getting more and more obvious regarding which race mistakes they overlook and which ones they don't as stated earlier-if they want you up there they will overlook you mistakes vs not.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least Dick Button never declared the winner of a competition before the marks were posted. He would, if pressed, say who he thought would win before the skating started, but kept his comments after a performance to the performance itself, not the outcome.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Not many are willing to address the point about Sasha's lack of dings because it kills their argument about Cop being so great and that the tech callers were unbiased.

Sorry that is what it took to silence so many of Sasha's critics :cool: :laugh:

BTW, I have to admit that Rachael did a great job and most - but not all - of her jumps looked to be rotated.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cohen was not known to underrotate jumps in the past. She often two-footed her landings, but she was gigged by the Nationals judges for those errors in both SP and FS, and she did get an edge call in the FS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

It looks to me that 80 year old Dick with a TBI (traumatic brain injury) still understand more about IJS than the much younger Scott. And that's kind of sad. I was very glad to see Uncle Dick there. I've been watching skating for over 50 years, and Uncle Dick was the commentator all that time. Despite his oddities, I will really miss him when he finally retires. And I love Dick for ice dance commentary. He gets so passionate about it without wuz robbing. Plus he and Sandra kept quiet during the entire skate of D&W and then commented only during the replay and before the performance! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

If only Scott would follow his example that way!

Now that is my kind of commentary :love:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, I have to admit that Rachael did a great job and most - but not all - of her jumps looked to be rotated.

All of Rachael's jumps were rotated. She did get -0.71 GOE from the judges on the 3F+3T because she stepped out of the 3T. Rachael hasn't gotten UR calls in any of her international programs this season as well.

OTOH Mirai received 5 URs at CoC and 2 at SC. The tech teams at CoC and SC were completely different from the tech team at Nationals; Lisa Marie Allen wasn't on either of those GP panels.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:
All of Rachael's jumps were rotated. She did get -0.71 GOE from the judges on the 3F+3T because she stepped out of the 3T. Rachael hasn't gotten UR calls in any of her international programs this season as well.

OTOH Mirai received 5 URs at CoC and 2 at SC. The tech teams at CoC and SC were completely different from the tech team at Nationals; Lisa Marie Allen wasn't on either of those GP panels.

Who was on this panel is what matters :rolleye:
Rachael used to flutz too but only a dishonest judge would hold that against her.

Any judge who comes to a contest with preconceived prejudices should not be allowed to judge at all imo.

You love CoP and I don't. I think Mirai is the better skater and you prefer Rachael.

Sorry I don't agree with you and I think we said enough on this topic.

But you are welcome to continue with your personal attacks. :clap: :rock:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Man, editing and screencapping 2010 Nationals footage from NBC just like the good old days...a blast from the past, except this time I'm working with HD footage. man, I have not done extensive capping of all the skaters since 2006 I think. 2006 Worlds was the last time IIRC. I spent extensive time doing it for Torino I remember. I think the lack of significant competitive skating on TV, me not having cable in 2008, and being busy had a lot to do with it. Although I have capped select skaters in the time between then, this is the first time in 4 years I've taken the time to do all of them...it was a great competition all-round (also the first time I've been able to capture Nationals in its entirety in 3 years :rolleye: )

I don't think I'll have time to cap the Vancouver coverage though. But I definitely plan on recording/archiving it, hopefully in HD.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:
Rachael used to flutz too but only a dishonest judge would hold that against her.

Rachael worked hard to fix her flutz and her hard work paid off.

Any judge who comes to a contest with preconceived prejudices should not be allowed to judge at all imo.

Judges do not give edge calls and URs, tech panels do. Mirai has been getting UR calls since 2008 and she has not managed to correct her pick jump technique as yet. NBC showed Mirai's URd jumps in slomo and alll three were indeed URs.

You love CoP and I don't.

I don't love CoP. There are many things wrong with it, mostly the secret judges (tech panels are not secret). But it is the judging system of record whether you are willing to accept that or not.

you are welcome to continue with your personal attacks.

I criticize your statements, not you personally.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't love CoP. There are many things wrong with it, mostly the secret judges (tech panels are not secret). But it is the judging system of record whether you are willing to accept that or not.

It feels to me like you really love CoP . That does not mean you think it is perfect but i think you prefer the points vs 6.0's more comparitive style of judging.

As to the tech panel I think if may ruin skating if it is not changed up a bit.

One camera and one angle is not enough for certain calls. Is there an "irrefutable proof" rule which the NFL, using three or more cameras insists upon?

Do you really believe the tech callers were honest about the way they called this event? If they were not 100% honest with Sasha then they lose 100% of their credibilty.

You are one of the few who thinks Sasha was actually scored fairly.
What a turn about - or am I misunderstanding your take on this?

You have posted so many times that Sasha has a terrible flutz. Yet the tech callers either looked the other way during her SP or Sasha skated a very clean SP.

What do you think really happened?
And did Mirai suddenly learn how to rotate her jumps in the SP and then suffer a bout of amnesia during the LP?

BTW, I don;t care what you think about previous competitions. Can you stick to Natls and explain this?

I suspect you may have some good insight into this, but COC ain't part of it.
Natls please, no excuses or comparisons from the past.

Did Mirai forget how to jump in 24 hours and was Sasha really that clean in her SP?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mirai did not forget how to jump, she was tired and "forget" to rotate the last few degrees.
It's not 2+2 = 4.
It's 85 degree vs.. 95degree. There's no "forget" in that.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai did not forget how to jump, she was tired and "forget" to rotate the last few degrees.
It's not 2+2 = 4.

OK, but it is also clear the tech callers were asleep at the wheel for certain skaters.

Did Sasha lose her flutz and did her two footed landing in the SP actually get missed by this tech panel? That my friend simply can't be explained away.

In any sport once their is some favoritism shown it can be accepted the whole event has been fixed.

Sorry, but the evidence is compelling and irrefutbable that the tech callers were not consistent and no way can their marks for Sasha be considered fair.

That opens the door to seeing that rachael and Ashley were forgiven errors and only Mirai was held to a high standard.

Skatergirl_19

Spectator
It's not 2+2 = 4.

I guess that might be the problem with her jumps was that she just needs a little more stamina in the second half of the lp to rotate those jumps. I do believe that her jumps are getting closser to being fully rotated in the calls at nationals were very close and they could have been ratified without causing much of a uproar on why they were not downgraded. Her jumps earlier in the season were more odvious ur's.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a lot easier to rotate jumps in the SP because it's much shorter and there are fewer elements on which to concentrate.

If you look at Mirai's FS protocol, the first UR was on the 2A+3T. This jump combination has been a problem for other skaters, not just Mirai. Mirai used to try 3F+3T and the 3T was usually downgraded, so she switched to 2A+3T, but the result has been the same.

The other two URs were towards the end of the program, when fatigue starts to set in.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
I will let chuckm defend his own view but here is mine FWIW.

COP may not be perfect but its way superior to 6.0 which had no rules except rank them any way you like.

Multiple camera angles isn't a bad idea. Certianly one angle does limit the tech panels ability to make the best decision possible. On the other hand most experience judges, techs and coachs can tell a cheated jump on the fly.

I have rarely found a case where the tech panel gets it wrong (at least not significantly) there are many borderline cases where something could go either way. If it was that borderline then the skater gets what they deserve by leaving the call to the tech.

Sasha has a history of bad flutzing. The fact that she didn't get call in the SP and only a minor edge error in the LP. That would tend to indicate that perhaps she has taken steps to correct her flutzing.

It is quite possible for a skater to skate one clean program and one with errors (Emanual Sandhu comes to mind).

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
OK, but it is also clear the tech callers were asleep at the wheel for certain skaters.

Did Sasha lose her flutz and did her two footed landing in the SP actually get missed by this tech panel? That my friend simply can't be explained away.

In any sport once their is some favoritism shown it can be accepted the whole event has been fixed.

Sorry, but the evidence is compelling and irrefutbable that the tech callers were not consistent and no way can their marks for Sasha be considered fair.

That opens the door to seeing that rachael and Ashley were forgiven errors and only Mirai was held to a high standard.

So what if they were forgiving to Sasha. She's Sasha. Her attendance spiked the interest in the sport.
Everything can be 'splained. It's just if you're willing to listen to the explanation.
You questioned Mirai suddenly "forget" to jump. Did you catch NBC replay of her URs? Do you not accept her URs when she clearly URed? What is with the denial? She URed, everyone accepted it, except you. Because Sasha did not get called for her 2foot landing and flutz, Mirai should not get called for them?

If Rachael flutzed and 2foot landed her jumps and URed and placed first, I see some merit in your questions. But Sasha is a non-factor.

You're conflating 2 different issues. You tried to make a case for Mirai vs. Rachael, but ended up making a case for Mirai vs. Sasha. Your logic isn't sound and repeating them doesn't make it more sound.

Last edited: