Ice Dance Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Free Dance

mystichaze

On the Ice
Ugh i just looked at the CD scores again, im just :scratch:

Did anyone catch what Jana & Sergei had to say about Max & Oksana in their interview?

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I really don't understand how F/S got a lower PCS score than D/S. Forget the final placement, that bit is just befuddling. F/S skated a program with higher difficulty (as reflected by their TES), with much more smoothness and speed, and the PCS is lower than D/S? What the hell?

hauteor

On the Ice
Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my thoughts :)

And some final thoughts- really lovely flower bouquets for the winners third night in a row. So far none of the russian winners have been singing along to their national anthem (not that the Estonians did to theirs at the opening, choir nation my but), strange they hear it enough, don't they know the lyrics? Or maybe they've heard it too often and don't care... I don't know, I'd sing my heart out or at least lip-sync.

Lovelies impression of the evening- Kristjan Rand and Caitlin Mallory with their heartfelt portrayal of Peer Gynt's and Solveig's love story, so lyrical and expressive- a bright future for our young Estonian ice dancers!

P.S. Interview with KhohNov- they said they were overall happy and considered the premiere a success. When asked what mistakes they made she thought there weren't any major ones just that the program was obviously not as confident as they would have liked. He said he was disappointed because obviously this wasn't a performance that would have them regain gold, when asked if it was possible to beat DomShab they said they've done it before and they'll do it again.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I really don't understand how F/S got a lower PCS score than D/S. Forget the final placement, that bit is just befuddling. F/S skated a program with higher difficulty (as reflected by their TES), with much more smoothness and speed, and the PCS is lower than D/S? What the hell?

oh, I hadn't noticed...I think that's the bonus russian + neighbouring country....at least not such an important difference...it's about 0.67...
I really really think this gold was totally robbed..

figuristka

Medalist
I enjoyed Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI and the Kerr's the most tonight. Ive never been a huge fan of this Italian team in the past but they won me over with their OD and Free dance. Also feel their CD was very strong. I thought they should have won at this competition to be honest. I almost felt like crying when i saw her emotion at the end.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Clearly THE weakest Gold medal performance since 1972, when I've been watching ice dance at the first time....
Sad.Sad.Sad.
Judges knew it from the beginning, gave them 5 points advantage in the CD.
Scandalous....

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
And some final thoughts- really lovely flower bouquets for the winners third night in a row. So far none of the russian winners have been singing along to their national anthem (not that the Estonians did to theirs at the opening, choir nation my but), strange they hear it enough, don't they know the lyrics? Or maybe they've heard it too often and don't care... I don't know, I'd sing my heart out or at least lip-sync..

Maxim did, no? At least it looked like that at first (didn't see all of it though)

figuristka

Medalist
Whenthe Italian got their marks i hadn't payed attention to their total after CD and OD together and i thought they won, heart sank when i realized it was not overall. D/S i feel especially she has a wonderful quality to her skating but the OD and Free just did not have the difficulty, and it was not captivating like the Italian's.

figuristka

Medalist
Oksana almost looked like she was going to cry when the anthem played. Must be hard to be expected and pushed to win a medal, and know they have so much work to put in if they want to medal at Olympics.Just hope Olympics are judged fairly for what we see.

tollerfan

Rinkside
Li+TRANS

Does anyone know why this is showing up as the eighth element in the free dance detailed scoring but nobody gets any points for it?

thank you

Big Deal

Final Flight
I'm REALLY nostalgic about the real, quality ice-dancer in the past.

These present "Champions" are "so-called" icedancer compare to Klimova-Ponomarenko, Torvil-Dean, Krylova-Ovsiannikov, Bestemianova-Bukin, Grischuk-Platov, Anissina-Peizerat.
WHAT happened?
Why to award Gold Medal to THIS????

My hopes to be entertained are Davis-White and Virtue-Moir, even if I'm European....

I'm happy with Isabel's baby, BUT what a bad timing to lose gold medals...

Last edited by a moderator:

sadalou

Rinkside
Does anyone know why this is showing up as the eighth element in the free dance detailed scoring but nobody gets any points for it?

thank you
There's only 3 lifts required in the FD this year, if the skaters do more it is considered in the PCS with the choreography, that's why there no points in the protocols.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Once again, I have to say it, this politiking is RUINING THE SPORT!!!! Especially the Russians, dear G-d come on there is no way that Dom/Shab deserved those scores, or Khok/Nov. So both teams used tired music, were slow and unoriginal, yet they walk away with medals thanks to the Russian Federation. I mean doesn't anybody see the signs, Dom/Shab rose to the top of the podium in little more or less than four years, and they just happen to replace the previous retiring Russian couple just a little too quickly. I cannot stand it.

I feel for the Kerr's they were robbed of medal today. They had better get a medal in Vancouver, and the Zaretsky's too.

My dream podium:
D/S FRENCH GOLD!!!
Kerr- Silver
Zaretsky's-Bronze

By the way the Zaretsky's were not encouraged by the Israeli federation to skate to Jewish/Israeli music. It is our heretiage and pride that they representing and what better way to do it then to use Jewish/Israeli music.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
So far none of the russian winners have been singing along to their national anthem (not that the Estonians did to theirs at the opening, choir nation my but), strange they hear it enough, don't they know the lyrics?
Well, one usually learns the anthem in school, and Russian one has changed since those skaters studied. In fact, I recall back in SLC, Berezhnaya was singing the new lyrics whereas Sikhuralidze was singing the old ones. And, frankly, the words of the Russian anthem are a real joke. The same guy (Mikhalkov) whote the lyrics for Stalin's anthem, then changed them for the pre-Stalin version, and then changed them again for post-Soviet times as per Putin's request.

You can compare the refrains yourself:
CURRENT VERSION:
Glory to you, our free Motherland,
Age-old union of fraternal peoples,
Ancestor-given wisdom of the people!
Glory to you, our country! We are proud of you!

SOVIET VERSION:
Glory to our great Motherland, mighty and free,
Bulwark of people, in brotherhood strong!
Oh! Party of Lenin! The strength of the people.
To Communism's triumph lead us on!

STALIN VERSION:
Great shall your glory be, Motherland proud and free!
Bulwark of friendship for nation and man!
Flag of the Soviet, lead us to Victory,
Flag of the People since freedom began!

Or, take this stanza:
STALIN's VERSION:
The sunlight of freedom has shown through the temptest
And Lenin has lighted our path with his flame,
While Stalin has shown us that faith in the people
Inspires us to action, to deeds, and to fame!

SOVIET VERSION (getting rid of Stalin reference):
Through tempests the sun rays of freedom have cheered us
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead!
To a righteous cause he raised up the people
Inspired them to labour and valorous deed!

CURRENT VERSION (get rid of Lenin reference and add reference to G-d):
From the southern seas to the polar regions
Spread our forests and fields.
You are the only one in the world! You alone are like this —
Our dear land protected by God!

herios

Medalist
Clearly THE weakest Gold medal performance since 1972, when I've been watching ice dance at the first time....
Sad.Sad.Sad.
Judges knew it from the beginning, gave them 5 points advantage in the CD.
Scandalous....

We just started watching skating about the same time :)

This result is a mockery, I would ban the whole panel promto,I have never seen such a crappy judging in my whole life.
In the CD D/S should have had a narrow margin by about 1-2 points, for their FD, they had no business to be higher than 4th.
It is a shame and I am sure sooner or later a major scandal will errupt and kick ice dance of the Olympics. This is not a sport, because there is no fair outcome.