Ice Dance Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Free Dance

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
By the way the Zaretsky's were not encouraged by the Israeli federation to skate to Jewish/Israeli music. It is our heretiage and pride that they representing and what better way to do it then to use Jewish/Israeli music.
Cloudkicker, how is "Shindler's list" representative of our culture? Just because Spielberg is Jewish? Or because the film is about the Shoa?
Hava Nagilla is, of course, a different story. It's a great choice, too, because I know of few pieces of music more rousing than that. Hava Nagilla also has a good recognition factor, but any Klezmer would have been nice as well.

Kinga

Medalist
Clearly THE weakest Gold medal performance since 1972, when I've been watching ice dance at the first time....
Sad.Sad.Sad.
Judges knew it from the beginning, gave them 5 points advantage in the CD.
Scandalous....
I am so underwhelmed with D/S performances at the Europeans... Their FD was not only technically weak, but also it even does not look promising to me if they polish it. It is just forgettable, IMO. And the fact that they won only becasue of CD advantage... Seems dodgy! I thought F/S were robbed of gold - and I am not the fan of their skating, but this season OD and FD are gorgeous!

I thought K/K should have finished 4th.
And when it comes to K/N - I did not find her costume that bad, actually she is the only one who can wear this. What distracted me more, it was his costume. He looked absolutely horrible. Since her costume is suppose to give such a strong impression, his should be tone down. He looked very untidy to me.
But nevertheless, I am happy that they made a program that suits them!

Thanks for the comments, hauteor!

I'm happy with Isabel's baby, BUT what a bad timing to lose gold medals...
I feel the same.. Probably Olympics is most important to them, but still.... They could have been 2009 Wch and 2010 ECh... (sigh).. Plus, in the long run, it might hurt them that they did not perform for such a long time.. It is hard to impress judges just with one outing, when they already have their 'favourites'...

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks for the links and ..GROSS ME OUT...

Isn't it illegal to sling your partner about by a part of their costume ???? (Even if it's in a "PCS lift" )

What are those tendril-like things on their limbs, their ruined veins ? ( In keeping with the other Requiem programs..) or are they turning into aliens,pod people or something ? And I'm sorry , but what's with the naked-looking breast and the nipple detail ? ENOUGH , Russia !..save it for your Ice Shows. No-one will complain if that's what you want for entertainment. This is supposed to be sport. What has this to do with anything , except tittillation ? (Pun semi-intended)

The glimpse of Khoklova's firebird costume at the end of the D/S skate really turned me off...same old , same old...Plucked, indeed.

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
I finally could watch some of the programs on youtube.
D/S were awful. I think it is a shame that they got first place only because they were near perfect in CD. Their FD was ..... :eek:
F/S were good technically and I enjoyed watching their program. I believe they should have won gold.
K/N had spectacular lifts but nothing else.
K/K were entertaining but even I noticed that their program had some major stumbles.

I really thought that the European dance pairs would be better.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Were D/S really that bad? It was certainly not the best they skated but it was a vast improvement on the Russian Nationals. They fully deserved their lead in the compulsory dance but they rightly did not win either the OD or the FD. Bottom line is I doubt the North American couples will have to much to worry about at the moment.

Really enjoyed the Italians, they have come back strong after falling back a little bit I thought last year but I do find her facial expressions a bit OTT. Was really looking forward to K/N and they didn't dissapoint, for me this couple stand out from the rest especially in the last few years when I think that a lot/most of the routines are very similar.

A bit of let for me were the Kerrs and C/L. Does anyone know why the ISU have cut the numbers progressing to free dance/long programme?

BigJohn

On the Ice
If DomShab win olympic gold with this, I'm afraid the uproar would be as big as in Salt Lake. Boring program where the lifts are the lowlights, and that music... again?

Both D/W and V/M have a better programs, even if their music choice is "ok I guess" (D/W) and sleep-inducing (V/M).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
DomShabs FD: You know, I'm just scared watching them. I'm terrified that he's gonna drop her or that his knee(s) will give out. I don't feel much one way or the other about this FD. It doesn't bug me like P/B or K/N's old one, but it just doesn't feel coherent. It doesn't help that I know these two pieces of music pretty well and I don't think they convey the nuances at all.

KhoNo FD: If he were as good as she, they'd be a great team. My eyes are never on him in this dance, and as a rule, I hate that in dance. I want it to be about both. And because she's about her insane flexibility and poise more than anything else, they don't interest me a whole hell of a lot. Dramatic, sorta insane. It'll be intriguing to see where they go with it.

FaeSca FD: Gorgeous. One of the year's great programs skated wonderfully. This is how you create an Olympic Free Dance (only Virtue/Moir have done a better job this season). I'll agree with those who say her expression is a bit too much, but I love how it builds.

PecBou FD: The music was incredibly quiet. Loved the position they hit in the dance spin. The program falls to pieces in the last third, though. I enjoyed it more than I ever have, surprisingly.

Kerrs FD: They'll never be more than a solid 2nd/3rd tier team to me, and this performance reminds me why. They're just solid. They're not particularly interesting in terms of the moves they do. It's a solid program.

CapLan FD: Okay, the camerman and I need to have words. Firstly, Anna's expression is devastatingly important to this dance. So during the opening moves and the straight line lift, her face needs to be visible. Secondly, shooting the closing pose from the back is silliness. Okay, that aside, this is a well thought out dance - another one of my favourites this season.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Actually I'm not surprised at the final result, disappointed but not surprised.
Back on the CD thread, I pretty much figured this would happen with the headstart D/S were given (my post #55) in this thread:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30344&page=4
Give them a cushion, then finagle the OD and FD marks even if they aren't close to #1 in those segments. Voila! Final result that was wanted (requested? prepaid?) all along.

I think the judges have given a signal to the North American teams for what is likely to happen during the Olympics on placements :disagree::disagree::disagree:

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
Kerrs FD: They'll never be more than a solid 2nd/3rd tier team to me, and this performance reminds me why. They're just solid. They're not particularly interesting in terms of the moves they do. It's a solid program.. .

I'm happy that I'm not the only one for whom the Kerrs were not that impressing. The Eurosport guy (German, not British E.) got crazy about their program, and I just didn't see it.

Somehow I got the impression that, with the exception of Faliella&Scali and the young Russian pair, I heard moody elevator music for hours this evening. :sheesh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
DomShabs FD: You know, I'm just scared watching them. I'm terrified that he's gonna drop her or that his knee(s) will give out. I don't feel much one way or the other about this FD. It doesn't bug me like P/B or K/N's old one, but it just doesn't feel coherent. It doesn't help that I know these two pieces of music pretty well and I don't think they convey the nuances at all.

FaeSca FD: Gorgeous. One of the year's great programs skated wonderfully. This is how you create an Olympic Free Dance (only Virtue/Moir have done a better job this season). I'll agree with those who say her expression is a bit too much, but I love how it builds.

PecBou FD: The music was incredibly quiet. Loved the position they hit in the dance spin. The program falls to pieces in the last third, though. I enjoyed it more than I ever have, surprisingly.
1. We discussed F/S's programs after CoC, right? I said I didn't get them because I don't like her expression. I take that back. I still don't like her expression, and I'm not a huge fan, but they have what is by far the best OD of any European team this season and, IMO, the best FD besides V/M's Mahler - fantastic choice of music and very good choreo. Fede and Massi deserved to be European champions and I'm happy for them that the judges at least recognized their superior OD and FD.

2. DomShab's OD was awful, even leaving aside the cultural issues, and their FD was just sad. This was a great team once and now they look like a shadow of that. I would guess that even they know they didn't deserve it. The only positive thing I can say about their skating this week is that they were indeed very strong in the CD, and Oksana's CD dress was cool, I liked the retro vibe.

3. P/B - I think he may have hurt his ankle on the last twizzle. That could explain why they looked so messy towards the end. They were lucky those were both Li+Trans elements or they would have dropped in the standings.

4. Kerrs were meh. :eek:hwell:

5. Z/Z should have been behind C/L in the FD but ahead overall. At least they met their national criteria for Olys - they will probably be only Israeli athletes in Vancouver, and I believe he will carry the flag.

This is my 2000th post! I've been so annoyed with the judging at Euros that I didn't really feel like posting anything, but I wanted to recognize F/S's excellent performance last night :clap:. Other than them, I really hope DelSchoes will be ready for Olys and that the other Euros teams will do a better job than they did this week.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I wonder, if ALL the fans, watching this sport since decades, all the professional commentators (even in the Hungarian broadcasting, where the commentators are Klara Enghi, former No4. at the European Champs, and Dr. Judit Fürst, who is an International judge) fully agree with the poor quality, the technical simplicity, the slowiness, and laboured presentation of Dom/Shab, why ISU takes the huge risk to favour them when it endangers the whole sport to remain a sport (especially an Olympic one).
If Fusar-Poli/ Margaglio could get a gift to be a WorldChampion, because they are Italian (like Cinquanta), when the other contenders were French (just half Russian), WHY on the earth THIS Italian couple could NOt get a DESERVED gold medal, when the contenders are Russians, but very weak and completely out of form?????

It is really a narrow-minded, suicide action.
Ice dancing always gives us some nice aesthetic chills etc. I don't wanna lose it.
I thought, the deepest point of this depression was Navka/Kostomarov's held up against the Bulgarians. But Navka/Kostomarov (the weakest Olympic Champions until now) were travelling in "business" class on the same flight where Dom/Shab. are only the stewardes offering cold sandwiches in the "economy".....I'm not angry, I'm sad, and it is much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Actually I'm not surprised at the final result, disappointed but not surprised.
Back on the CD thread, I pretty much figured this would happen with the headstart D/S were given (my post #55) in this thread:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30344&page=4
Give them a cushion, then finagle the OD and FD marks even if they aren't close to #1 in those segments. Voila! Final result that was wanted (requested? prepaid?) all along.

I think the judges have given a signal to the North American teams for what is likely to happen during the Olympics on placements :disagree::disagree::disagree:

Do you really think this will happen again at the Olympics? I have my doubts. I think one reason D/S were able to win here, because they are by far the best CD dancers in this competition. Personally, I think V/M and D/S are the strongest CD dancers, so I believe the CD gap at Olympics could still see Dom/Shabs in the lead, by a narrower margin.

Furthermore, the judges awarded first place for the OD and FD to F/S, who at the very best, will probably place #5 at the Olympics. The NA teams will definitely get more points than F/S, unless there's another major splatfest at Olympics OD. (I sure hope not. The OD at Turin was the scariest thing ever.) So I don't think there will be a repeat in placement at Olys. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part, so feel free to disagree.

On another note, I love F/S FD:love:. I love the costumes, the choreography, the concept and everything! I was a little disappointed they didn't win, but I think they could do really well at Olys and Worlds with this set of programs!

K/N: I really like their new program. Too bad that they didn't start out with this at the beginning of the season, or they'd have alot more polish. I can't wait to see their FD at the Olympics!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno - Davis/White and Virtue/Moir have gotten huge scores on OD + FD portions of the competition and are better CD'ers than everyone else in Europe, outside of DomShabs (and DelSchoes, but we haven't seen them yet). They won't have a six point deficit to overcome, but given the strength of their other two parts, that wouldn't be extraordinarily difficult either.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think Ice dancing yesterday was boring. Some of couples try to do so much tricks, they forget to dance at all. Our Finnish male commentaror said about the Italians, nice too see someone dance, that's the original idea of the ice danding. I agree with him.

figuristka

Medalist
I think Ice dancing yesterday was boring. Some of couples try to do so much tricks, they forget to dance at all. Our Finnish male commentaror said about the Italians, nice too see someone dance, that's the original idea of the ice danding. I agree with him.

I adore both Virtue and Moir and Davis and White, they really dance on the ice.

BigJohn

On the Ice
:)

You mean, their ODs and FDs?

I'm talking about the FD. I thought it was implied because I posted it in the FD section.

To be clear: if DomShab win Olympic Gold because they got a huge lead in the CD, tons and tons of you know what will hit the fan. There is no way their FD matches either D/W or V/M.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Do you really think this will happen again at the Olympics? I have my doubts.
<snip>QUOTE]

Yes, I think it's not only possible but probable that DomShab are being set up for the gold. I think the fix is clearly in, and without an "intervention" of some sort, prepare for some sort of judging scandal. With or without the flap over the aboriginal OD. Well, you might ask what sort of "intervention" event might happen?
1) Dom/Shab withdraw for whatever reason, either of their own volition or are pulled by the Russian Fed.
2) Word from "on high" through the back channels (IOC to ISU/Speedy to tech panel/judges) that the scrutiny of judging on skating and ice dance in particular, will be intense and marks will be audited and questioned. Disallowing from panels participants with clear conflicts of interest.
3) Tonya Harding's ex-husband and cronies get hired.

I will let you ponder which of these--if any--is more likely.