Senior Free Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance

silversprings77

Rinkside
whats with the souffle analogy??? sasha has a souffle....ice dancing now has a souffle...

how soon do we find out the olympic committee selections?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
we should find out almost immediately, also 4CC selections as that team has to leave ASAP. Probably no later than after ladies--maybe they will announce at same time.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Yes! Meryl Davis and Charlie White win :clap:
Hope they can repeat at the Olympics but it'll be hard

How many hours until NBC show ladies?

silversprings77

Rinkside
about 3 more hours. cant wait! ihave my chips and soda and popcorn and laptop all ready. :) :)

will those selected for 4CC leave right from spokane? i would think so with travel issues and the time change...

figuristka

Medalist
Hope its on YT soon cannot wait to see D/W. Now North american's are the favourites for Olympics. Of course my very favourites remain Virtue and Moir though. Funny how D/W ended up 1 point ahead in the free compairing them with V/M at Canadian's. Think it would have been the other way around if Canadian's were second lol. Gosh will be very close. After seeing D/S at Europeans they won't be able to beat either V/M or D/W to me.

jcoates

Medalist
I'm guessing the deduction was for the throw jump right at the end- it's new

That move has been in the program since the beginning. It's gottten no deductions and should qualify as an assisted jump so long as the in air rotation is under on revolution. I think the deduction was likely for either finishing slighting after the music or for the first lift being held too long.

So sad for Kim and Brent. They are so entertaining and, as Tracy said, "heartfelt." They will make great show skaters if they get picked up. Love them. Still Samuelson and Bates are better technicians and were far cleaner. Still they really need to bring in an outside choreographer next season. Their coaches have given them a great technical base. Now they need to take it to the next level.

Still so happy to see how deep ice dance remains in the US. The US dance in the 80s and 90s seem like a whole other lifetime ago.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I definetly think music is problem. I just had a hard time keeping my attention on them. I hate to say it, but it was kind of boring.
And compare the music choices of Navarro/Bommentre. Here are their FD choices since 2006:

2006 - Michael Buble medley
2007 - Beatles medley
2008 - Since I've Been Loving You by Corinne Bailey Rae (originally by Led Zeppelin)
2009 - Fatboy Slim medley
2010 - One by U2 & Mary J. Blige

They always choose music that is familiar to many and skateable/danceable. As I said, Samuelson/Bates music - especially last year - is boring and doesn't hold the audience's attention - or at least my attention. They have great music for their OD. I hope that next year their FD music will be just as exciting.

I'm glad everyone performed well.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
WOW what a lousy weekend of skating...why do I watch this sport again.

Once again the less original, boring, YAWN dance team robs someone who is actually talented of the Bronze medal and in this case a spot on the olympic. S/B are boring, slow, no real difficulty, and no originality.

KIM AND BRENT WERE ROBBED!!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Once again the less original, boring, YAWN dance team robs someone who is actually talented of the Bronze medal and in this case a spot on the olympic. S/B are boring, slow, no real difficulty, and no originality.

Wow. You're actually quite wrong here. No real difficulty? Seriously? I get that the team you were rooting for didn't make it and that sucks as a fan, but take it down a notch.

How do you feel NavBom were original?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Navarro/Bommentre are the Kerr/Kerr of the USA. Never boring, but never fully embraced by the judging panel either, and that's a shame. :frown:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight

If you are referring to Silverstein/O'Meara over Matthews/Zavozin 4 years ago, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Matthews/Zavozin made mistakes which resulted in a 5th place finish in the free, 4th overall. I think both those teams were equally talented. It really was amazing Silverstein/O'Meara had come so far since they had only been together for less than a year, but they were able to mesh together and had really nice programs.

Samuelson/Bates have a better quality in skating, but Navarro/Bommentre have a better quality in performing. N/B also has better FD music than S/B. I really do feel for N/B, but I think the judging was correct that put S/B ahead.

figuristka

Medalist
I'm guessing the deduction was for the throw jump right at the end- it's new

V/M had a similar lift jump and had to change it at Nationals so they would not get a deduction. I loved it though :/ and the one D/W do also. Such a shame they would get deducted for something so new and interesting. Neither were deducted all season so its unfair.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
If you are referring to Silverstein/O'Meara over Matthews/Zavozin 4 years ago, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Matthews/Zavozin made mistakes which resulted in a 5th place finish in the free, 4th overall. I think both those teams were equally talented. It really was amazing Silverstein/O'Meara had come so far since they had only been together for less than a year, but they were able to mesh together and had really nice programs.

Samuelson/Bates have a better quality in skating, but Navarro/Bommentre have a better quality in performing. N/B also has better FD music than S/B. I really do feel for N/B, but I think the judging was correct that put S/B ahead.

No not at all, I LOVED SILVERSTEIN AND O'MEARA!!! They were my favorite dance team, I have all of their programs on video. I was heartbroken, when Jamie quit again. I had always hoped that Jaime and Ben would skate together!!!!

No I was comparing this to watching the European Championships, Khok/Nov won the bronze over a much better and more talented Kerrs.

S/B do not have a better quality in skating, they used an drawn out opera like ballad with ice dancing moves, that is the oldest trick in the book. Nav/Bom were original, and deserve that space on the Olympic team!!!!