US figure skating is a big joke | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US figure skating is a big joke

mandykane21

Rinkside
People are killing me with this Mirai wuzrobbed stuff. If you question whether or not her jumps were underrotated, look at the protocols. All the jumps she was downgraded for got negative GOE's by the judges BEFORE they got the calls. They were sitting right in front of her and they saw something wrong with those jumps.

LeCygne

Final Flight
You are forgetting that even if Mirai's jumps were not under rotated Rachael would have won. The base value of Rachael's program was higher. Rachael beat Mirai by 12 points. In fact Ashley beat Mirai in the free skate.

The fact that NBC did not show slow motion does not mean the technical panel did not review the jumps.

How far off would Mirai's base value have been if she hadn't gotten downgrades? Not 12 points, I assume.. Of course the jumps were reviewed even if we didn't get to see it, but the fact that NBC neglected to show it to us is what is causing people to question the downgrades..

She got negative GOE on it...

Three judges did not give her -GOE on it, and the ones that did only gave her -1 GOE.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I feel like figure skating is losing the free program. It's not so free anymore. Rachel and Mirai skated great but I think Mirai should have won. Just MO.

I feel like figure skating is losing the free program. It's not so free anymore.

ITA. The short program has become the free program. At least in the short programs there is some attempt at doing something other than skating from one scored element to the next.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
ITA. The short program has become the free program. At least in the short programs there is some attempt at doing something other than skating from one scored element to the next.

I miss seeing original programs. I miss creativity. I miss seeing what skaters put together with choeographers. It just seems like, we are seeing almost the same programs with diffrent themes, and that technical merit rules over artistry. Yes a skater should be able to perform the difficult jumps and spins but that's not what skating is all about.

miki88

Medalist
I miss seeing original programs. I miss creativity. I miss seeing what skaters put together with choeographers. It just seems like, we are seeing almost the same programs with diffrent themes, and that technical merit rules over artistry. Yes a skater should be able to perform the difficult jumps and spins but that's not what skating is all about.

:yes: I agree. Last night, I feel like I was seeing the same spins and movements over and over again. And if the skater is not very artistic or expressive than it gets really boring to watch.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
If there is a dispute here in the score of the top three we needed to see who was deducted where and why. Where did Flatt have deductions? Where did Nagasu have deductions? Where and why does this land them on which step of the podium?

After watching both Flatt and Nagasu, I know that I got caught up in Mirai performance more and that is why I wish she had won the competition.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
If there is a dispute here in the score of the top three we needed to see who was deducted where and why. Where did Flatt have deductions? Where did Nagasu have deductions? Where and why does this land them on which step of the podium?

After watching both Flatt and Nagasu, I know that I got caught up in Mirai performance more and that is why I wish she had won the competition.

But that attitude does not appear to be enough anymore.
To enjoy skating we are now asked to study a manual, and to think of skating as a sport more like diving.

Good luck winning new fans ISU. And don't forget to wave gooby to the older fans who are losing interest.

BTW, NBC is getting ready to lose millions on their Olympic broadcast because the sponsors have backed off.

Any wonder they may have been glad to have Sasha competing again at Natls?

Those of us who love skating would hate to see less of it broadcast in the future.
As to studying the manual - I already have a job and in my leisure time I like to relax or be entertained.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How far off would Mirai's base value have been if she hadn't gotten downgrades? Not 12 points, I assume.. Of course the jumps were reviewed even if we didn't get to see it, but the fact that NBC neglected to show it to us is what is causing people to question the downgrades..

Three judges did not give her -GOE on it, and the ones that did only gave her -1 GOE.

Nope, not 12 points. But Nagasu also attempted on less triple than Flatt. Plus Flatt would've scored more 10% bonuses.

gfskater

On the Ice

The only way Mirai could have beat Rachel in the LP is if Rachael made a serious mistake like falling, popping, or stepping out of a jump.

GOE and under rotating are not the same thing. A skater could have a difficult entry, excellent take off, and great air position, under rotated landing and get a positive GOE from all judges. The BASE VALUE is reduced which really hurts. There are only certain errors that require a negative GOE and under rotating is not one of them. Marai under rotated there of her jumps.

As far as connecting with the audience and artistry is concerned, I thought that Rachael had that. The fact that she is not thin and she doesn't look like a "porcelain doll" as Mr Button says of Sasha does not mean she is not artistic. I used to complain that Rachael had no artistry or style, but that has changed over the past year or so. Yes her style is more “Broadway” than “Ballet” but she was very entertaining and certainly connected with the audience.

Last edited:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
It seems that the most inconsistent people are the ones here on this forum who, for months and months and months and months going back to the Kimmie Meissner era, complained that this skater or that skater was overscored because she underrotated her jumps or flutzed this jump or that jump and weren't downgraded for this or that "cheat" or her jumps and so on and so forth, and this went on and on and it was always the skater this or that poster didn't like to begin with that should have been penalized for this or that.!!
And now some of you same people are wailing and whining about YOUR preferred skater being downgraded for underrotating or flutzing or poor edges and this or that because the judges are paying more attention to detail and they still can't do anything right in your eyes!!

You can't have it both ways, people. Grow up.

i love to skate

Medalist
It seems that the most inconsistent people are the ones here on this forum who, for months and months and months and months going back to the Kimmie Meissner era, complained that this skater or that skater was overscored because she underrotated her jumps or flutzed this jump or that jump and weren't downgraded for this or that "cheat" or her jumps and so on and so forth, and this went on and on and it was always the skater this or that poster didn't like to begin with that should have been penalized for this or that.!!
And now some of you same people are wailing and whining about YOUR preferred skater being downgraded for underrotating or flutzing or poor edges and this or that because the judges are paying more attention to detail and they still can't do anything right in your eyes!!

You can't have it both ways, people. Grow up.

:clap:

chrissy51

Rinkside
I was also surprised that Flatt won, but after looking at the reason behind it I now realize that she indeed won fairly. It puts me in the mind of Tara and Michelle at the Olympics. Michelle skated beautifully but Tara had harder content and skated with a lot of speed and joy

Moxie

On the Ice
As far as connecting with the audience and artistry is concerned, I thought that Rachael had that. The fact that she is not so thin that I suspect anorexia for Sasha and Mirai and she doesn't look like a "porcelain doll" as Mr Button says of Sasha does not mean she is not artistic. I used to complain that Rachael had no artistry or style, but that has changed over the past year or so. Yes her style is more “Broadway” than “Ballet” but she was very entertaining and certainly connected with the audience.

WHAT THE HELL? Say what you want about about your favorite skater but stop with the specious theories for everyone else, eh?
That's really hurtful and IMO Mirai does not look like she has anorexia.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really?!! Are you joking me?!! Rachel Flatt won over Mirai Nagasu by like a hefty 20 points?!! This competition is so rigged.

She won by 12 points. Mirai underrotated 3 of her jumps. That was the difference. Even if Mirai had been scored higher on PCS, it wouldn't have been enough.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I was also surprised that Flatt won, but after looking at the reason behind it I now realize that she indeed won fairly. It puts me in the mind of Tara and Michelle at the Olympics. Michelle skated beautifully but Tara had harder content and skated with a lot of speed and joy

Yeah. Only Tara is 10 times more graceful than Rachael. Rachael may have joy (sort of) but she's just not a graceful skater.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think that if Tara and Michelle had been judged by COP standards, Michelle would have won easily. Tara flutzed and may have underrotated one of her 3-3s. Her spirals were very weak. Her PCS would have been well behind Michelle's.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think that if Tara and Michelle had been judged by COP standards, Michelle would have won easily. Tara flutzed and may have underrotated one of her 3-3s. Her spirals were very weak. Her PCS would have been well behind Michelle's.

Maybe. It's an interesting point to consider. By the standards of 6.0. Tara's spirals were fine. They were at least pleasant to look at. I think Tara would have worked on her spirals to meet the standards of CoP and I think she would have achieved it. The better question for me is why Rachael gets level 3s or sometimes even level 4s for her spirals. I don't get it.