Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010

aftertherain

Record Breaker
That explains it. I hope they air the actual exhibitions.

They just aired Evan's, so I think they'd air the others (maybe I missed them, just tuned in).

Tenley Albright, Dorothy Hammill, and Peggy Fleming look great! :)

Most of the exhibition pieces tonight (not just the competition routines) were also retreads. Or so similar to past numbers they might as well have been.

missysays

On the Ice
Just finished watching the gala...

That wasn't half bad. I actually liked the champions skating their competitive short programs. Mainly because Jeremy's, Rachael's, and Meryl/Charlie's shorts and OD are their best competitive programs better than their respective longs I feel and it was great to have an opportunity to see them really performed in a relaxed way which they can't do during competition. D/W in particular were able to bring out nuances in finger and arm movement that they gloss over a bit during the nervousness of competition.

My favorite performance of the evening (beside Nathan Chen's- who's adorable and wonderful) was Jeremy Abbott's performance. For me this entire Nationals has been a revelation- he's come into his own this year. I thought he was fantastic last year but he wasn't a favorite. I read somewhere that his sister said she always thought he was good but it wasn't until recently that she felt that he'd developed a presence on the ice. This exhibition piece proved that- he was soulful, tender, and really poured his heart into portraying the character in that song. I don't usually like Michael Buble but this number was really good. I don't care where he places in the Olympics for me he's just turned into one of those skaters that I just like to see skate and move around on the ice- regardless of jumping. :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I actually enjoyed the gala more than I have the last few...

2012 cannot come soon enough (I am going even if it kills me!)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WOW! Jeremy was fantastic . . . by far my favorite performance of the night! :love: I also really enjoyed Johnny, Ashley, Davis/White, Rachael, Mirai, Samuelson/Bates, Belbin/Agosto, Evora/Ladwig, and Denney/Barrett. GREAT SHOW!! :love::bow::clap: I'm so glad NBC was so quick to broadcast it as opposed to past years when we've had to wait 2 weeks after Nationals to see the exhibition gala.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Tonichelle , did you mean to say 2014? hah, you are really rushing it Uhh. unless you are referring to 2012 Worlds, are they slated for your town?

I didn't care for Davis/White's costumes at all, they were trashy-looking, just not very decent for a gala event. White in a tee-shirt and jeans, and Davis in micro-mini with - aaacky-pooky, as my dad used to say.:laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
For me, Jeremy Abbott's and Nathan Chen's performances were the highlights of the evening. The rest, I don't care that much.

P. S. Is Jeremy really only 5'9''? He was taller (looks like about an inch taller) than Johnny on the podium.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the gala began I was confused as to why they were skating without lighting and their short programs but after a while figured out that they had the gold medalists perform. I think that's what happened, was it??? Oh and what really confused me was Rachel skating first because the Lady Champion always skates last.

I loved it when Johnny said he was more mature, even though from his costume and face makeup he didn't look it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyone know why Rachel performed two routines?

Rachael, Jeremy, Meryl and Charlie, and Caydee and Jeremy all performed twice. As Dee mentioned, first they did one of their competitive programs, then an exhibition at the end.

Why? I think it was to allow Scott Hamilton to take the ice and ham it up a little in interviews/introductions of the skaters. :laugh:

inside edge

On the Ice
I like competitions approximately 1000 times more than exhibitions, so there were just a few things I really enjoyed in the gala. Nathan Chen was the highlight. WOW, what an amazing young athlete. He sounded so focused.

Nathan Chen
Nathan Chen
:love: :love:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Posted this elsewhere but I thought some of you might enjoy this local story about Nathan Chen http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9436198
He actually came home in between competition and the gala. He seems so serious. Probably just shy.

I also noticed he did a 3/loop in exhibitions. First time I've seen him do a loop.

Last edited:

ae9177

On the Ice
OMG, OMG, Nathan Chan is SO Adorable! This kid totally stole the spotlight of the night! :love: I'll root for him in 2018! Go Nathan!

futureidol

On the Ice
People seriously liked Evan's and Jeremy's? :rofl:

Jeremy's wasn't bad, but his shirt was a disaster. It kept bunching in his shoulders so he looked like a hunchback. It was a serious costume malfunction. Besides that the program did nothing for me.

Evan... well I can't say much about that, he fell and almost fell again... that's not supposed to happen in Gala performances. I can't believe Scott would rather have him on SOI than Johnny.

Johnny was the absolute star of the evening. I've seen every performance of "Poker Face" and that was his best. Amazing. :clap: That's what an Exhibition is supposed to be FUN, and to show off your best talents and personality.

S/B were also fun with their Disco, and Mirai was adorable as usual. All the Ice Dancers were good. Johnny was the best man. I don't like Rachael at all.

Oh yes and Nathan Chan was the cutest thing ever. Peter and the Wolf, so cute. I can't believe he'll only be 18 in 2018! He's a genius. The next Brian Boitano? :)

daisies

Rinkside
So no one else was squicked out by Denney/Barrett skating to "You Can Leave Your Hat On"?

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
Johnny rocked. Scott is silly for not having him on SOI. He always seems to have a weird attitude about Johnny when he's commentating. Whatever.
I also enjoyed the Pairs (Denney and what's-his-name).

I've already forgotten the other performers, cept for Evan and his stumbles. hehe Did no one tell him the Gala was not a competition?

Oh, but that Chen kid was a riot! Can't wait to see him grow up. He was amazing. :)

Nan

Rinkside
The show was good and a very nice send off to the skaters. . It was great seeing all the past Gold Metal winners but I also wish they would start with the bronze, silver and then last bring the Gold Metal winners out. It would be great to acknowledge all of them as very few skaters make it to participate and then win a metal in the Olmypics.

Nathan Chan was cute. Wish him luck in the future.

Belbin/Agosto are very good but Davis/White were outstanding.

I love, love, love Jeremy Abbott's skating and loved his Exhibition number, he really had so much variety in it and he looked elegant and smooth on the ice and his hand positions, etc. blend in with the music, plus he can jump, spin, do it all.

Last edited: