In praise of Rachael and other "athletes." | Page 4 | Golden Skate

In praise of Rachael and other "athletes."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, the thing is, not all elite female figure skaters today are "ice ballerinas". I mean, you have the thin white ladies (Cohen, Lepisto, Czisny) and the wiry asian ladies (Yuna, Mao, Miki, Mirai), the muscular ladies (Rochette, Wagner, Meissner), the tall ladies (Kostner, Korpi) and the normally built ladies (Flatt, Hughes, Leonova). All the skaters are built differently, and therefore, I don't think people's problems with Rachael's skating are due to how LOOKS but how she SKATES. Rachael looks like she's in great shape, and I don't think some aspects of her skating look sloppy because of the way she's built, but because she probably spends most of her time working on jumps and doesn't have the time to work as much on spins and spirals. She clearly has to be in great shape to land all those triples...

I only make the comment because it seems the comments I've read on here and elsewhere on the Internet have reference her looks for sure. And heck, you have a commenter on this thread making reference to ballet.

I think how you're built does have an impact on what kind of spins and spirals you can do. I think she needs to find ways to do them that look nice and fulfill the requirements.

But as I said, perhaps for now, it's better for her to focus on getting her muscle memory for the jumps...then get the details asap.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Flatt is a hard working person. She fixed the Lutz, for that alone she should be praised.
She also did a wonderful interpratation in her SP. She should add humor in her programs as she did in her SP. She should play with that bad posture by choosing appropriate programs. I can see her doing a Charlie Chaplin routine.

If she fixed the Lutz, she could fix also spins and spirals.

Her problem with flexibility is at least partially due to a problem with her back. The odd version of a catchfoot spin she does (and I will say it isn't the prettiest thing out there) avoids damaging her back further. From her bio:

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100068&mode=I

Sustained a back injury in September 2006 ...

loveskating1

Spectator
All skaters have flaws people!!!
So it really annoys me when people think it's an achievement to beat Yuna. Or try to find more flaws within Yuna..and other would then try to find more flaws of Rachel..

Just like Rachel yuna has improved. If anyone has noticed Yuna just started doing 3lutz 3toe loop just late last year in competition..before she only did 3-2 ..and as inconsistent her 3loops may be at least she has tried them in competition before

They are both hard workers. And I hate when people try to find some way to undermine the other skater

On the other hand i think everyone is just tired of hearing about Yuna..but you cant say she is overrated cuz she certainly does deserve it..it's just that her country just has taken too much pride on Yuna and are practically killing her with all those signs calling her Queen ..i don't know how you cant feel pressure when you see those big posters everytime you perform, and the pain of not wanting to let down the country who are like entirely in love with her =____=

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
All skaters have flaws people!!!
So it really annoys me when people think it's an achievement to beat Yuna.

I brought up the Rachael beating Yuna in the LP at SA in the Nationals Ladies LP thread. But as I meant it it really compliments both skaters. I was simply trying to refute what several posters were saying, that Rachael was going to be completely beaten into the ground by the other skaters at Olys. I said she had a 5th place finish at Worlds last year, certainly very respectable, and she'd beaten Yuna in that LP (actually I had a brain fart and said Mao, but I was thinking Yuna).

Of course I know that's not the same as beating Yuna overall, but frankly it's about the best any other skater can hope for these days, Yuna is a virtually-insurmountable pinnacle, and by saying what I said I meant that Rachael had done about as well as any other skater BESIDES Yuna can do right now. Of course even that finish in that LP required Yuna to skate far from her best. But I don't think, or at least it never even occurred to me, that just because Yuna did not place first in one LP that she isn't about as close to unbeatable overall as it gets. Of course Yuna has flaws like everyone else, but she is really, really in a league of her own IMO. Doesn't mean that she absolutely won't lose, but I think it would be hard for her to!

So in short I'm saying that to me it IS a feat to beat Yuna even if it's just in one phase of a competition. Sad but true that's all everyone but Yuna can cling to:);) and I'm sorry if it adds to a sense of pressure on Yuna, but you've gotta call it like you see it.

And it makes just a little sense to break down the competition by phase -- don't they give separate medals for SP standings at Worlds, or at least a medal for first in the SP? ?? (Something like that although my memory has been failing me lately so I could be wrong, is it Nats instead?)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The local news station just showed Rachael Flatt back at her high school after Spokane. They did a rally just for her. She's so bubbly and so cute. :love:
She's so normal and relatable, except I can't relate to any of those rotated triples.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
Rachael is growing on me ; I admire her work ethics, atheleticism, and the capability to stay consistent with her jumps. It has been truly brilliant of her to land 7 triples in LP with such consistency and effortlessness as well as perfecting the Lutz for such a short amount of time given. Despite a lot of criticisms and doubts whether she genuinely deserved the national title or not, I still think she was the most technically solid / musical skater of the event.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
[, Yuna is a virtually-insurmountable pinnacle, and by saying what I said I meant that Rachael had done about as well as any other skater BESIDES Yuna can do right now. Of course even that finish in that LP required Yuna to skate far from her best. But I don't think, or at least it never even occurred to me, that just because Yuna did not place first in one LP that she isn't about as close to unbeatable overall as it gets. Of course Yuna has flaws like everyone else, but she is really, really in a league of her own IMO. Doesn't mean that she absolutely won't lose, but I think it would be hard for her to!

It seems like there are three ways to go about being a successful skater. Either you do harder jumps than most (HJ), you are usually clean (UC) or you have beautiful artistry (BA).

YuNa has all 3, making her the front runner. But that is fairly rare. Miki Ando has 2 of the three (she isn't much of an artist, IIRC), and Mao hasn't been consistent lately. Rachael has 2 of the three, which should put her in the medal hunt. Yeah, one of her betters would have to falter, but I can't remember the last time I saw an Olympics with three clean long programs.

Nobody is unbeatable. Irina was supposed to complete the Russian sweep last time--it was almost a sure thing. She fell. Michelle was the favorite in 2002--she fell. A clean Yu Na will beat Rachael and everyone else--and maybe a clean Joannie or one or more of the Japanese girls are better than Rachael if they skate clean. But first they have to do it. ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see Mirai as clearly the most athletic of the USA skaters.

Hardly. A skater who can't completely rotate her jumps is hardly the "most athletic".

Mirai is charming and has great overall presentation, but until she loses her flutz and can rotate all her jumps, her skating isn't technically correct enough to be called the best athletically.

miki88

Medalist
It seems like there are three ways to go about being a successful skater. Either you do harder jumps than most (HJ), you are usually clean (UC) or you have beautiful artistry (BA).

YuNa has all 3, making her the front runner. But that is fairly rare. Miki Ando has 2 of the three (she isn't much of an artist, IIRC), and Mao hasn't been consistent lately. Rachael has 2 of the three, which should put her in the medal hunt. Yeah, one of her betters would have to falter, but I can't remember the last time I saw an Olympics with three clean long programs.

Nobody is unbeatable. Irina was supposed to complete the Russian sweep last time--it was almost a sure thing. She fell. Michelle was the favorite in 2002--she fell. A clean Yu Na will beat Rachael and everyone else--and maybe a clean Joannie or one or more of the Japanese girls are better than Rachael if they skate clean. But first they have to do it. ;)

Miki is usually clean?? I think if you look back, Miki's record is about as inconsistent as Joannie Rochette. And if all of the top contenders skate cleanly, they will definitely beat Rachel IMAO. What Rachel needs is for one or more of these skaters to make mistakes. She can't beat them if they all skate fairly clean. Also, Yuna is not that unbeatable. If two of her top rivals skate well enough to be close 2nd/3rd in SP and two of them manages to have a fantastic LP skate and beat her in the LP, where she is not as good in as her SP, then an upset is likely.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And there's a great challenge in having both the technical and artistry down. There's been quite the comment about skaters who worked on their artistry to only lose the technical content. Meissner and Brandon Mroz are two examples of this. So I think it's smart for Rachael to do what works for the time being then think about some easy way to bring out her artistry.

This is an interesting observation. Dick Button once said (about Michelle) that the secret to having great artistry is having great technique. Great technique allows the artistry to come out. Rachael can improve her technique. Her jumps are rather low and do not have great flow out of the landings. Her spins and spirals barely average. As pointed out, she is only 17. With more command of the ice, through truly secure technique, I think she will improve. I think she should defer her college plans for a year, change coaches (and choreographers) and improve her costumes and hair. I would like to see her in black, preferably with long sleeves. And I also think she should let her hair grow a little longer and wear it in a half ponytail. The longer hair, worn done, would balance out her round face. She should get rid of the over-the-boot tights. They aren't helping her line.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dick Button and other commentators have said that Nationals is always the biggest pressure cooker because succeeding at Nationals is the key to success internationally. If you can't make the team, you don't get to compete on the World stage. Ashley Wagner and Sasha Cohen illustrate this point perfectly. Rachael not only has consistency, but she doesn't let pressure get to her. Her Junior World title (her first ISU Championship), fifth place finish at Worlds 2009 (her first Worlds) and 2-2-1 Nationals placements 3 years in a row show that she deals very effectively with pressure.

On the international scene, Mao, Joannie, and Miki have let their nerves get to them to the point that they have faltered badly. Even Yu-Na has shown she isn't immune to pressure. I'm sure all these ladies would love to be as unflappable a Rachael.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Dick Button and other commentators have said that Nationals is always the biggest pressure cooker because succeeding at Nationals is the key to success internationally. If you can't make the team, you don't get to compete on the World stage. Ashley Wagner and Sasha Cohen illustrate this point perfectly. Rachael not only has consistency, but she doesn't let pressure get to her. Her Junior World title (her first ISU Championship), fifth place finish at Worlds 2009 (her first Worlds) and 2-2-1 Nationals placements 3 years in a row show that she deals very effectively with pressure.

On the international scene, Mao, Joannie, and Miki have let their nerves get to them to the point that they have faltered badly. Even Yu-Na has shown she isn't immune to pressure. I'm sure all these ladies would love to be as unflappable a Rachael.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but I personally don't think it's fair to compare Rachael to Mao, Yu-na, or Miki. Rachael has less senior international experience than they do and is younger by two years. Also, she hasn't been a "favorite" in her home country for years (or ever, until this nationals), whereas Mao and Miki have been heavy favorites since they were Rachael's age and Yuna is literally regarded as a national treasure. They're different circumstances, imo. But I do agree that they would prefer to be immune to pressure.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NGrlv6ZI0E

Joannie skating at 18. I actually think Rachael kind of skates similarly to how Joannie did in that performance, if you look at the jumps and spirals. Joannie's expressiveness came later and she is built a bit like Rachael in that video, guess the guns came later. Anyhow, I think if Rachael keeps skating she will just get better. She already has the jumps, so now she can work on the other stuff.