Sasha's comeback attempt. | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Sasha's comeback attempt.

Oops - I meant 3s-2t-2T. And when you say "she opted not to include a layback" - do you mean it was planned and changed, or not planned? It's hard to imagine any Sasha program w/o her beautiful layback (and I think she had a Biellmann in the SOI version of MS... but I hear you about base value. I didn't realize she lost points in revolutions too.:cry:).

I was kind of kidding about the 2As but am I misreading the protocols? It looks like Sasha did have a 3S sequence planned, but left off the second jump, maybe a 2A? I thought I heard that in advance too. Someone posted her planned FP layout a few weeks ago but I don't know if it was the real deal or speculation, and don't remember where I saw it.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The biggest accomplishment of Sasha's comeback is that RD says he has newfound respect for her. ;) Go Sasha!!:clap:

I will second that as RD has shown himself to be objective and fair minded and a good sport.

And now we don't have to keep reading that Sasha won't show up ;)

MKFSfan

Medalist
Oops - I meant 3s-2t-2T. And when you say "she opted not to include a layback" - do you mean it was planned and changed, or not planned? It's hard to imagine any Sasha program w/o her beautiful layback (and I think she had a Biellmann in the SOI version of MS... but I hear you about base value. I didn't realize she lost points in revolutions too.:cry:).

I was kind of kidding about the 2As but am I misreading the protocols? It looks like Sasha did have a 3S sequence planned, but left off the second jump, maybe a 2A? I thought I heard that in advance too. Someone posted her planned FP layout a few weeks ago but I don't know if it was the real deal or speculation, and don't remember where I saw it.

I'll see if I can explain it to you! Hope it makes sense...

Sasha's executed elements was:
3lz/2t
3fl/2t
3lp
3s/2t/2t...was to be out of a back charlotte, but omitted the combo due to bad landing on 3sal
SpSt
FSsp (base value 3.00 + 0.43 GOEs)
3f
2a
3s...this got credit for a sequence because she already did a solo 3sal
FCoSp...this was given a level 3, which has a 2.50 base value, and she got + 0.43 GOE. Level 4 would've been base value of 3.00. I THINK she was short on her last position, but I am not sure. A layback is 2.70, so I am guessing that is why she included the FCoSp instead here
SlSt
CCoSp (base value 3.50 + 0.93 GOE)

She certainly could've done a layback position or a beillmann as part of a spin, but for whatever reason didn't. My guess is a combination of a FCoSp having a higher base value and her back being less flexible or sore, she was concerned she wouldn't have a fast spin and get high +GOEs. I agree...was weird not to see her do a layback. But as I have said-that is the only area I thought she looked "less" flexible in.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Hey she did better than Alissa did! comparing Sasha who, hasn't competed in 4 years and finished 4th, to Alissa, who never took a season off after 2006, was national champ last year, and this year finished 10th?! ouch.

I say, Sasha did pretty darn good considering.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Hey she did better than Alissa did! comparing Sasha who, hasn't competed in 4 years and finished 4th, to Alissa, who never took a season off after 2006, was national champ last year, and this year finished 10th?! ouch.

I say, Sasha did pretty darn good considering.

Argh, poor Alissa. Leave her alone. I'm sure she's furious at herself for bombing worse than the woman she suggested was too old for a comeback ;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ No, that was Ashley.

Are you sure? I thought Alissa said something like "some think she's too old" way back in August in September when they had a press event with a bunch of U.S. skaters.

Ashley recently said she was skeptical but I don't remember her bringing up Sasha's age.

Anyway, I didn't mean to pick on Alissa. She's one of my favorites and I'm heartbroken that she did so badly at nationals and I hope she keeps skating.

Skatergirl_19

Spectator
I think that her comeback was successful she just did not have enough time to get out there before nationals because of injuries. I am happy that she got a medal at nationals after a 4 year break.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is some news about Natls TV ratings from the Tribune:

"Cohen's presence was a huge boost for U.S. skating. NBC's overnight rating for the women's free skate Saturday was 4.0, or 43 percent higher than a year ago. Its second hour finished first in the ratings."

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here is some news about Natls TV ratings from the Tribune:

"Cohen's presence was a huge boost for U.S. skating. NBC's overnight rating for the women's free skate Saturday was 4.0, or 43 percent higher than a year ago. Its second hour finished first in the ratings."

But do you really think it's due only to Cohen? It IS an Olympic year after all. Ratings for skating are always higher in Olympic years.

I think ratings would have still been in the mid-high 3's without her. As a rule, there is generally increased interest since this is an Olympic Trials event.

janetfan

Match Penalty
But do you really think it's due only to Cohen? It IS an Olympic year after all. Ratings for skating are always higher in Olympic years.

I think ratings would have still been in the mid-high 3's without her. As a rule, there is generally increased interest since this is an Olympic Trials event.

I am sure this being an Olympic season helped the ratings.
It also mentioned the demographics were the strongest with men between ages 18-45.

I see the word "failed" was removed from the title. Not PC enough? :p

:)

There seemed to be an equal number of posts on both sides. Sometimes thread titles are changed to reflect the content better.

But yeah,...;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
:)

There seemed to be an equal number of posts on both sides. Sometimes thread titles are changed to reflect the content better.

But yeah,...;)

I think the same thing would have happened for a topic that was called "Emilies Failed Comeback Attempt."

Or "Michelle's Second Comeback Attempt Fails Again."
That one wouldn't last an hour ......;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hopefully, the next comeback attempt we'll be discussing is Kimmie Meissner's ;-)

She did say in a recent article that she wanted to come back...but honestly, I think I'm suffering from comeback fatigue :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m sad that Sasha did not manage to make the Olympic team, but I was glad to be able to watch her short programme. She always had great short programmes. Her freeskate was really beautiful, but maybe she did not start her training early enough? I expect her to continue her show skating career and not to compete in eligible competitions next season.