Who has the best chance of beating Plushenko at the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Who has the best chance of beating Plushenko at the Olympics?

Who has the best chance of beating Plushenko at the Olympics

• Brian Joubert

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Evan Lysacek

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Jeremy Abbot

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Patrick Chan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Nobunari Oda

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Stephane Lambiel

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nobody because Plushenko is figure skating's God.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Nobody. He is overscored and could throw up on the ice and still get higher PCS than Abbott

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I think he'll be pretty tough to beat, but not impossible. The only person who can beat Plush with two perfect programs I think is Joubert. However, if Plush makes mistakes, then Stéphane is probably better placed.

It also depends on judging, especially PCS. PCS are extremely high and if one person out there is able to get higher PCS than Plush, it's Lambiel.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
He's been known as the best male figure skater for years, but I'd say either Joubert or Abbott has the best chance of beating him - Joubert because he has before, and Abbott because he's new to the scene and isn't as intimidated by him as the longtimers.

Layfan

Record Breaker
He's been known as the best male figure skater for years, but I'd say either Joubert or Abbott has the best chance of beating him - Joubert because he has before, and Abbott because he's new to the scene and isn't as intimidated by him as the longtimers.

I voted for Evan but it was a bit from the heart, although I would not count him out. I do think he needs the quad, unless Plushenko really does go out there and pukes on the ice ;)

If Abbot skates clean I think he's the most amazing skater out there. But I fear he will be a little hurt at the Olympics by his international record. Hopefully not and maybe being a back-to-back national champ will help.

Joubert ... He has a good chance maybe even the best chance and I can see why people voted for him. But I think he is a little hurt by the fact that his strengths are also Plushenko's. Unlike other skaters in the mix, I'm not sure he really does anything better than Plushenko.

I guess the bottom line is the men are very good this year and it's anyone's game. I thought about putting an option like that in the poll but it's kind of a cop out and I wanted to make people choose. :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I really "love" the last option, :rolleye:I was between that and he is a skating God, so I dont vote, I m still debating which one has more irony inside:rofl:
if people believe the last and he is that lazy, please send him the medal to save him for 20 hours trip.:biggrin:

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
It's a tough question!

I am torn between Joubert and Lambiel. I chose Joubert. However, if these three all skate clean at Olympics, I do not see the judges give the gold to anyone else but Plushenko.:p So maybe I should choose the second last option.:biggrin:

Aside Joubert and Lambiel, theoretically, Takahashi and Abbott are not far behind. But I don't see their nerves help them. I do hope that Abbott could have a break through and make it to the top 6 though. Or with some help in the field, make it to the podium.

I just do not understand the idea of putting Lysacek so high, except because of the national ego and/or fandomness. What does he have besides consistency? Though he doesn't have consistency any more with a quad in LP.;) Sorry, Evan fans. At least Chan and Oda have artistry.:)

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's a tough question!

I am torn between Joubert and Lambiel. I chose Joubert. However, if these three all skate clean at Olympics, I do not see the judges give the gold to anyone else but Plushenko.:p So maybe I should choose the second last option.:biggrin:

Aside Joubert and Lambiel, theoretically, Takahashi and Abbott are not far behind. But I don't see their nerves help them. I do hope that Abbott could have a break through and make it to the top 6 though. Or with some help in the field, make it to the podium.

I just do not understand the idea of putting Lysacek so high, except because of the national pride and/or fandomness. What does he have besides consistency? Though he doesn't have consistency any more with a quad in LP.;) Sorry, Evan fans. At least Chan and Oda have artistry.:)

Lambiel is one of my all time favorite skaters but somehow he has yet to blow me away this season. :frown: But I hope he will at the Olympics.

I hope SOMEONE picks the "Plushenko is God" option. Come on, people. I know you are out there!:unsure:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I hope SOMEONE picks the "Plushenko is God" option.

Okaaaay, I ll do the ultimate sacrifice.
He would be the God of skating in Greek Mythology anyway. :boohoo:

Other than that, Plushy said he thinks of 10 skaters can be for Gold, so i believe him.

stevlin

On the Ice
Plushenko's arms

Plushenko does too much arm flapping, so does Evan L.... I'd love to see Jeremy Abbott win the gold. Or Brian Joubert.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I really "love" the last option, :rolleye:I was between that and he is a skating God, so I dont vote, I m still debating which one has more irony inside:rofl:
if people believe the last and he is that lazy, please send him the medal to save him for 20 hours trip.:biggrin:

it's not that HE is lazy... it's just that the judges seem to just throw huge numbers at him.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Maybe they get hypnotized from the flail ;) Or they just like what they see. :p

I would put 11 in all his pcs. I should judge his events, nobody invited me, booooo Chiquanta :boohoo:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Plushy himself, meaning without self-destruction on his part, he would get OGM.

In terms of PCS, Dai also may be the one along with Joubert and Lambiel. He is capable of getting 8's with mistake-filled programs so does Lambiel. But I don't see his quad back in a timely manner. Does Abbott get high PCS?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Plushy himself, meaning without self-destruction on his part, he would get OGM.

In terms of PCS, Dai also may be the one along with Joubert and Lambiel. He is capable of getting 8's with mistake-filled programs so does Lambiel. But I don't see his quad back in a timely manner. Does Abbott get high PCS?

I dunno ... I probably could have put a few other skaters in that option aside from Abbott. Abbott's programs seem more complex on the PCS side of the things than Plushenko's .... more transitions ... more original choreography ... he's just the first one than came to mind.

Barb

Record Breaker
Its funny that won nobody, but Lambiel in second place is even funnier, I love Lambiel too, but its irreal, I bet to Nobu.

lcd

Match Penalty
I agree with Bennett. Plushy himself, or maybe Mishin, for their strategy and the process they chose heading into the Games. Imagine his crushing disappointment when he scores less than 100 points in the short! Long program with a broken frustrated heart could leave the door open for just about anyone

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree with Bennett. Plushy himself, or maybe Mishin, for their strategy and the process they chose heading into the Games. Imagine his crushing disappointment when he scores less than 100 points in the short! Long program with a broken frustrated heart could leave the door open for just about anyone

:eek: Blasphemy!! :laugh:

Personally, I think it's great that Jeremy Abbott and Lambiel are almost tied with "nobody." They are two of my favorite skaters and I really hope to see wonderful programs from them at the Olympics. But I really like Plushenko in his own way too, for what he's brought to the sport.

There's just something truly wonderful about this "old" guy pushing the newbies to do quads. I mean, really. :bow: