Podium Predictions | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Podium Predictions

aurora100

Final Flight
:eek::laugh: Rachael's speed and edges don't hold a candle to Carolina's and Joannie's . . . they are leaps and bounds ahead of her. .

Oh I must disagree my dear... I've seen all three, Rachel, Joannie and Carolina live within last 12 months. Of the three, Rochette has the best package I give you that. I just find her artistry too fabricated, nothing natural, it's sheer work. I get tired watching her because she has to force everything on ice.

Rachael on the other hand (especially her short this year) skates to the music, she floats across the ice. She skates to every beat of "Sing Sing". Yes she has terrible lay back spins, and for someone reason, US skaters are nothing unless they have spectacular lay back spins.

Carolina on the other hand is THE MOST OVER RATED LADY SKATER on the planet this Olympics. Even when she is on she is stiff as a log no matter what music she skates to. She was known for her jumps when she was younger because she would spin like tops but now that she is older she can't jump like that and she doesn't have the speed on the ice like she has been known to have. And she never had and does not have the artistry to catch any lady contenders this Olympics, YES, any lady contenders including Rachel.

Carolina hasn't done a thing in years and some people still think of her as a contender. No one with any talent or skill who skates like the way she did at 2009 Worlds should be considered a contender for 2010 Olympics given how poorly she performed in GP series, even if she got to the top at Euro among very very weak field of lady skaters.

I don't believe Carolina will make it inside of top 10 in Vancouver, Rachel on the other hand will be in top 5. I'm not a Flatt fan, I'm just being fair.. :biggrin:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just find [Rochette's] artistry too fabricated, nothing natural, it's sheer work. I get tired watching her because she has to force everything on ice.

EXACTLY. ITA. I find her absolutely boring. Even Ando is more exciting IMHO and that's not saying much

I also agree about Kostner, but I have not seen her once pull herself together and perform like she's capable of.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh I must disagree my dear...

Wait? You were being serious? You honestly believe Rachael is faster and skates with better edges than Carolina Kostner and Joannie Rochette? Honestly? :rofl:

It's a good thing every ISU judge in the entire world disagrees with you, then.

aurora100

Final Flight
Men
Gold - Plushenko
Silver - Chan
Bronze - Lysacek

Ladies
Gold - Kim
Silver - Asada
Bronze - Rochette

I predict that Yu-na will skate two clean programs for the first time in her career.

And...
after winning the Worlds at Torino, she will retire from competitive skating for a couple of years.
Then she will come back and rejoin the Grand Prix circuit in the 2012-2013 season.

Her final competition will be at Sochi Olympic Games in 2014, and the podium will look like this:

Gold - Kim
Silver - Murakami
Bronze - Nagasu

Wow, that's quite a prediction. I can live with that. But given the demands on skaters these days, I don't know how anyone would want to come back after winning a Gold. Except for Plushenko...so who knows may be Yuna will do that too. She has always said she would like to be remembered as a great skater and no woman has won two OGM since Katerina Witt.

miki88

Medalist
Men
Gold - Plushenko
Silver - Chan
Bronze - Lysacek

Ladies
Gold - Kim
Silver - Asada
Bronze - Rochette

I predict that Yu-na will skate two clean programs for the first time in her career.

And...
after winning the Worlds at Torino, she will retire from competitive skating for a couple of years.
Then she will come back and rejoin the Grand Prix circuit in the 2012-2013 season.

Her final competition will be at Sochi Olympic Games in 2014, and the podium will look like this:

Gold - Kim
Silver - Murakami
Bronze - Nagasu

Has Yuna never skated two clean programs in her life? That's kinda hard to believe, but I always thought she was more of a SP skater than LP though. Anyways, I don't know about your Sochi predictions because Mao will still be skating during that time, and I believe she will get better with maturiy.

aurora100

Final Flight
Wait? You were being serious? You honestly believe Rachael is faster and skates with better edges than Carolina Kostner and Joannie Rochette? Honestly? :rofl:

It's a good thing every ISU judge in the entire world disagrees with you, then.

Aah but the fact is the the ISU judges and many in the world agree with this assessment about Kostner. She no longer has jumps, speed or artistry. Check out her scores from this years GP series.

Kostner has lost her speed on ice since 2006. Everyone sitting with me at LA Worlds, as we were watching her mop the ice with all of her fallen jumps, noticed how slow she was across the ice. That's probably why she was missing the jumps. And we were looking for it because we knew of her reputation for her speed. Nothing against Kostner personally. It happens to ladies skaters often. It's difficult to go from the teens to the twenties and keep everything the same. And Kostner is one of many who didn't make that aging transition.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno - she won her silver in 2008 on the basis of her speed. Her scores on the GP circuit

TEB 2009: Short Program: 51.26, which was seventh. She had a 28.36 in PCS, which ranked third (behind Kim and Asada, ahead of Nakano and the rest)
TEB 2009: Long Program: 96.37, which was fourth. Her PCS were also fourth (55.52). Her TES was seventh.

CoC 2009: Short Program: 61.12, which was third. She had a 29.32 in PCS, which was the highest on the night. Her TES were 6th
CoC 2009: Long Program: 93.06 (7th), PCS 55.68 (2nd), TES 38.38 (10th)

In both portions she scored ahead of Flatt in the PCS but was behind in TES

Hell, even with her bombing the long program at worlds, she still placed 5th in PCS. Her low scores are not the result of poor PCS.

silverlining

Rinkside
Has Yuna never skated two clean programs in her life? That's kinda hard to believe, but I always thought she was more of a SP skater than LP though. Anyways, I don't know about your Sochi predictions because Mao will still be skating during that time, and I believe she will get better with maturiy.

I'm not 100% sure about her novice/junior years, but since she's turned senior, she's never skated two clean programs.
As a matter of fact, IIRC, her ONLY clean LP was at 2007 COR.

Having said that, it's kind of rare to see any lady skate a clean LP these days, let alone two clean programs.

silverlining

Rinkside
Wow, that's quite a prediction. I can live with that. But given the demands on skaters these days, I don't know how anyone would want to come back after winning a Gold. Except for Plushenko...so who knows may be Yuna will do that too. She has always said she would like to be remembered as a great skater and no woman has won two OGM since Katerina Witt.

Yes, we do demand a lot from the boys and girls in figure skating.
However, compared to other skaters, I don't think it's THAT difficult for Yu-na mainly because of her talent and the wonderful team she has around her.
Although I'm sure her training regimen is rigorous, it looks like she's having a ball in Toronto, with just the right combination of fame and anonymity.
If she moves back to Korea, that would be a whole different story.

i love to skate

Medalist
Kostner has lost her speed on ice since 2006. Everyone sitting with me at LA Worlds, as we were watching her mop the ice with all of her fallen jumps, noticed how slow she was across the ice. That's probably why she was missing the jumps. And we were looking for it because we knew of her reputation for her speed. Nothing against Kostner personally. It happens to ladies skaters often. It's difficult to go from the teens to the twenties and keep everything the same. And Kostner is one of many who didn't make that aging transition.

:disapp: What are you talking about?? Here is her short from 2007, 2008, and 2009 Worlds and she FLIES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSCT15IRpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=497d5stpQS0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlbxKZWg9ZY

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm not 100% sure about her novice/junior years, but since she's turned senior, she's never skated two clean programs.
As a matter of fact, IIRC, her ONLY clean LP was at 2007 COR.

Having said that, it's kind of rare to see any lady skate a clean LP these days, let alone two clean programs.

Yu-na went clean when she won her Junior GPF if I recall.

aurora100

Final Flight
Yes, we do demand a lot from the boys and girls in figure skating.
it looks like she's having a ball in Toronto, with just the right combination of fame and anonymity.
If she moves back to Korea, that would be a whole different story.

In Korean media it's been reported that Yuna has bought a property in Toronto for her and her family to live in. She does like it Toronto and maybe she is planning on long term stay in TO.

On the other hand this doesn't necessarily mean a long amateur skating career though. Even if she retires I think she and Orser has a ready made market and prosperous career to build entire "Korean national skating future" in Toronto. Koreans are madly in love with this combo and I'm sure they have thousands lined up to work with Orser and Kim in Toronto.

aurora100

Final Flight
:disapp: What are you talking about?? Here is her short from 2007, 2008, and 2009 Worlds and she FLIES!

every one skates fast in "You Tube". Even Flatt, who we are comparing here against Kostner. Seeing her live she is not any faster than any other. A real noticeable fast one is Yuna, but she even doesn't skate as fast live as she does on TV, or on You Tube.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Men
Ladies
Gold - Kim
Silver - Asada
Bronze - Rochette

And...

Gold - Kim
Silver - Murakami
Bronze - Nagasu

I love this prediction! Although I think it's more of a Dream Podium than a Podium Prediction :biggrin: I doubt Kim will be perfect for both programs, but I predict near perfection (and an OGM). I get the feeling this year's Ladies event will be far, far from the splatfest of 2006. I'm expecting the top contenders to bring their A game. They all seem to be in great shape both physically and mentally. They seem to be coping much better now that the Games are nearing.

... but then again I may be wrong. It is THE Olympics.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
every one skates fast in "You Tube". Even Flatt, who we are comparing here against Kostner. Seeing her live she is not any faster than any other. A real noticeable fast one is Yuna, but she even doesn't skate as fast live as she does on TV, or on You Tube.

Not true.

I'm not a Kostner fan, but, objectively, the time it takes for her to cover the rink during the part of her spiral sequence where she changes edge is definitely much shorter than the other ladies.

i love to skate

Medalist

That isn't true at all. It is pretty obvious that she is very fast - I guess all the commentators that make statements on her amazing speed are just imagining it, then :sheesh:. It is very obvious how fast she is going, especially in her 2007 short performance at Worlds where it looks like she is going to crash into the boards when she steps into her spiral - but yet just rides that edge. That is a beautiful moment.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I'm hoping most of my predictions don't come true

Ladies:

1. Kim
2. Ando
3. Rochette or Asada

Men:
1. Plushenko
2. Lysacek
3. Abbott

Pairs:
1. Shen/Zhao (please skate gods!!)
2. S/S
3. K/S

Dance:
1. V/M
2. D/W
3. D/S

silverlining

Rinkside
I get the feeling this year's Ladies event will be far, far from the splatfest of 2006. I'm expecting the top contenders to bring their A game. They all seem to be in great shape both physically and mentally. They seem to be coping much better now that the Games are nearing.

... but then again I may be wrong. It is THE Olympics.

Yes, it is shaping up to be quite an exciting event for figure skating.
No major injuries, highly anticipated comebacks, lots of exciting first-time Olympians, no worries about too much/little snow, etc.

In the singles events, this is what we're getting:

Men
4 World Champions
3 Euro Champions
4 4CC Champions
5 GPF Champions

Ladies
3 World Champions
3 Euro Champions
2 4CC Champions
2 GPF Champions

What a treat!