Podium Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Podium Predictions

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow, a lot of people are betting on Flatt more. Well, it's become pretty unpredictable with Joannie, Miki, Mao and Carolina having such spotty seasons. Yuna and Flatt have really been the only reliable ones, I'll give you that.

Mirai and Akiko have been fairly consistent but they suffer from technical glitches and don't have that much international experience.

Hmmmm......

Here goes:

1. Kim
2. Mao
3 Akiko

But I reserve the right to change my mind every day until the SP :)

Men:
1. Plushenko
2. Evan
3. Jeremy/Oda/Joubert/Lambiel/Weir

Okay, I've changed my mind again.

1. Kim
2. Mao
3. Rochette
5. Akiko
6. Ando

But I hope the American girls can break into that list :)

Kissx3

Final Flight
DANCE

1.) D/W OR V/M
2.) D/W OR V/M
3.) Do/Sh

B/A have a good shot, but North America has virtually no chance in sweeping dance, the judges simply won't allow it, so they'll have to hope for mistakes from the top two.

PAIRS

1.) S/Z
2.) S/S
3.) K/S, P/T OR Z/Z

MEN

1.) Plushenko
2.) Lysacek
3.) Could be any of the other top 10 contenders. Men's field is deep.

LADIES

Gold:
Kim -odds on favorite for quite some time
-
Asada -can beat Kim with clean skates (all 3As must be ratified)
-
Ando -lower tech, needs to go clean with Kim/Asada/Kostner/Rochette errors
Kostner -lower tech, needs to go clean with Kim/Asada/Ando/Rochette errors
Rochette -lower tech, needs to go clean with Kim/Asada/Ando/Kostner errors

Other possible medalists, provided clean skates with errors from at least three of the above:
Suzuki, Flatt

Last edited:

jovani2293

On the Ice
Women

1) Miki
2) Yu-Na
3) Mao

I know, it seems crzay, but in he womens' event the favourite's haven't won in ages.

Men

God this is tough. The most obvious contenders are European, but lets be honest, there's little chance that an Olympic podium will be 100% European.

1) Plushenko
2) Joubert
3) Lysacek
4) Lambiel

The thing is, I honestly don't have a clue who will win gold (I don't even have a guttsy feeling). Brian will medal, I don't know what colour though. A North American skater will probably be on there, most likely Evan. I put Plush randomly on there - like I said I haven't got a clue who's gonna win. I think he should get bronze though, so he can have one of each!:laugh:

Ice Dancing

This is the toughest

1) Dom/Shabs (awful, I know. They're not worth all that, and many other skaters are far mush better, but seeing their scores so far...)
2) Del/Schoen
3) D/W
4) V/M
5) B/A

To be honest any of the 5 could be in any position.

Pairs

1) S/Z
2) P/T
3) S/S
I totally forgot that. No main favorite haves won the gold. Maybe in 1998 but i considered Michelle as the favorite though.
No winner of the short program haves won since Kristi, 18 years ago.

aurora100

Final Flight
Ladies:

1.Yu-Na
2. Mao
3. Any one of many, depending on how they skate. If they all skate clean, Carolina or Joannie. If not, there's Miki, Akiko and Rachel. To me, Rachel's an outside shot but it will come down to delivering on the day and I think she will whereas Joannie and Carolina are very iffy in that regard.

Men:

1. Plushy. He is not going to let anyone else have this. I think it will be a ridiculously decisive victory.
2. Jeremy Abott.
3. This is a huge toss-up between who brings it and who doesn't. You've got Chan, Lysacek, Lambiel, Joubert, Oda, Takahashi, Van der Perren.....

Pairs:
1/2 Szolkowy & Savchenko vs. Shen and Zhao
3. Whichever Chinese other pair skates better

Dance:
1. Domnina and Shabalin will, according to Olympic tradition, be handed the gold, regardless of the performances.
2/3. Virtue & Moir vs. Davis & White, depending on who skates best.

I tend to agree with predictions and comments here. Though I think S/Z is almost a sure thing, unless they bomb which they havn't all year.

Big sigh for the dance. D & S been poor all year but it doesn't matter. It will be a travesty but the OGM for Dance will go to the Russians. Love watching Dance but don't know how the dancers put up with this.

vmfan89

Rinkside
Ladies:

1. Joannie Rochette
2. Yu-Na Kim
3. Mao Asada

Men:

1. Evgeny Plushenko
2. Patrick Chan
3. An American, I would really love if it were Abbott, but I have a feeling it will be Lysacek.

Pairs:

1. Xue Shen/Hongbo Zhao
2. Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov (I would love if it was Mukhortova/Trankov, but not going to happen).
3. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy

Dance:

1. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir (I will cry if these two don't win!!!)
2. Meryl Davis/Charlie White
3. Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm going to do the top 10 because there are so many good skaters

Ladies:

1.) Yuna Kim
2.) Miki Ando
3.) Joannie Rochette
4.) Mao Asada
5.) Akiko Suzuki
6.) Rachael Flatt
7.) Carolina Kostner
8.) Mirai Nagasu
9.) Laura Lepisto
10.) Alena Leonova

2-4, 5-7, 8-10 can be in whatever order

Men:

1.) Brian Joubert
2.) Plushy
3.) Tomas Verner
4.) Evan Lysacek
5.) Nobunari Oda
6.) Jeremy Abbott
7.) Stephane Lambiel
8.) Patrick Chan
9.) Daisuke Takahashi
10.) Michael Brezina

for the men it's really anyone's game, there are just so many really good male skaters I have no idea who will win

ARipp42014

Medalist
Since I stated both my nightmare and dream picks, here's what I think will happen in Vancouver.

Pairs
G: S/Z
S: S/S
B: P/T

I really could care less. As long as S/Z wins it, I'll be happy!

Men
G: Plushenko :scowl:
S: Lysacek
B: Lambiel
4. Takahashi
5. Abbott
6. Chan
7. Oda
8. Joubert (and will have a epic rant after that :laugh:)
9. Brezina
10. Contesti
11. Weir
12. Kozuka

This is deep! I have Verner somewhere between 16-20 (pending epic meltdown) and van der Perren barely making the Final 24.

Ice Dance
G: D/W
S: V/M
B: Dom/Shab
4. Del/Shol
5. F/S
6. B/A
7. P/B
8. K/K
9. K/N
10. C/L

I really want a NA Sweep but most likely Dom/Shab will ruin it. As a matter of fact, 3-6 can go either way.

Ladies
G: Kim
S: Asada
B: Rochette
4. Ando
5. Suzuki
6. Flatt
7. Leonova
8. Nagasu
9. Lepisto
10. Kostner

I think Yu-Na and Mao will be close (cracking 200), but Mao will have one of her 3As downgraded which will make the difference. 3-5 can go either way but JoRo will have the hometown advantage. And please no epic meltdown of Hubert proportions! I have a feeling it will be Cynthia having that sad moment. :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekrYoLXz0Ac

Last edited:

zizi

Rinkside
Pairs
1. Xue Shen/Hongbo Zhao
2. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy
3.Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov

I have to decide whether to list those skaters from my country or those skaters whom I hope will podium or those whom I consider realistically

I'll decide on realistically and in accordance with the judges which I have no control over:

Plushenko; Lambiel; Takahashi

Yuna; Mao, Rochette

S/Z; S/S; P/T

D/S; B/A; V/M

My country results from above

Russia - 10
China - 6
Korea - 5
Japan - 4
Switzerland-3
US - 3
Germany - 3
Canada - 2

Ivana

On the Ice
Men
1. Plushenko
2. Abbott
3. Joubert
4. Takahashi
5. Lysacek

Ladies
1. Kim
2. Ando
3. Asada
4. Rochette
5. Kostner

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Kavaguti Smirnov
4. Pang/Tong
5. Zhang/Zhang

Ice Dance
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Domnina/Shabalin
4. Belbin/Agosto
5. Faiella/Scali

yangjie

On the Ice
1 Miki
she have skated at the olympic before, NO PRESSURE, and WON the world choampionship in 2007.Should i say more?

2 yu-na
i am sure that she will make some mistakes at the olymipic because she NEVER skated PERFECTTLY(i mean she always had some mistakes), so she wont deserve the gold medalist.but she will get a huge pcs and the silver medal.

3 mao
looks like canadian will give tremendous pressure to rochetto.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Men
1. Plushenko
2. Abbott
3. Joubert
4. Takahashi
5. Lysacek

Audacity! No Lambiel in sight but Abbott in the second?:biggrin: I have no problem if some one like Abbott beat my old favorites like Lambiel or Joubert. If the podium is like this, I will be happy because Joubert is on the podium and Plushenko is the first.

I've been thinking about the prediction for a long while already, but I still don't know what I should list. So I'll skip it for now.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Ladies
1. yuna - she would have a perfect SP that excites the audience as takahashi's swan lake did. But she may make a couple mistakes in LP. LP performance may not be as interesting as SP, but she still would run away with that lead.
2. miki - she would get least pressures among top ladies (except for Caro). She would also be more comfortable abroad than in Japan. She would not fall, but she may UR.
3. mao - With the renewed confidence and mental strength, she may manage to land all her jumps without falls. But she would UR at least two of her 3As and one of her double jumps and leave out at least one of the jumps in her combos. the score would disappoint the audience.
4. suzuki - she would steal the hearts of the audience, but miss either one of the lutz or the loops. would also receive undeservingly low PCS that disappoint the audience.
5. leonova - she would land most of her jumps and excite the audience.
6. rachael - people would complain the same things, but she would land jumps and get decent marks at both TES and PCS for her performances.
7. rochette - she would still be vulnerable and bomb either at her SP or at LP. but would receive good pcs.
8. mirai - she also would steal the hearts of the audience, but UR at least a couple of jumps of hers.
9. laura - she would land only three triple jumps but still get good marks to stay here.
10. caro - would remain the same caro, meaning mistakes filled performances.
11. kiira - she would do just okay. several mistakes.

Say, among yuna, miki, rochette, caro, and mao, the ladies with least mistakes would be on the podium (A group). In the A group, caro has by far the highest bombing potential followed by rochette and mao. I wouldn't see miki or yuna bombing at this time, even though they could deliver underwhelming, boring performances with falls and stepouts.

among suzuki, leonova, mirai, and rachael those with least mistakes would make top 5. racheal has the highest consistency followed by suzuki. leonova could be vulnerable under olympic pressures or could be very happy and excite the audience and land every jump. at their top forms, suzuki is the most matured package, followed by mirai. Although neither leonova nor rachael are the whole package, leonova's programs are a lot more appealing than rachael's.

laura and kiira would make the top 7 if they are lucky. i doubt if they would suddenly discover renewed consistency.

Last edited:

Ivana

On the Ice
Audacity! No Lambiel in sight but Abbott in the second?:biggrin: I have no problem if some one like Abbott beat my old favorites like Lambiel or Joubert. If the podium is like this, I will be happy because Joubert is on the podium and Plushenko is the first.

I've been thinking about the prediction for a long while already, but I still don't know what I should list. So I'll skip it for now.
I think Lambiel will bomb tripple axels and quad in both SP and LP. :p I have no problem with the podium, if everyone skates clean, but my dream podium would be a lot different than the one I've stated here. :laugh:

Much depends on the concept that a skater can not win an Olympic medal without a 3A. Do you really believe that nothing else matters?

berrycute

On the Ice
I'm thinking

LADIES
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Miki Ando

4. Joannie Rochette
5. Akiko Suzuki
6. Rachael Flatt
7. Carolina Kostner
8. Mirai Nagasu
9. Laura Lepistö
10. Cynthia Phaneuf

MEN
1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Patrick Chan

4. Brian Joubert
5. Daisuke Takahashi
6. Jeremy Abbott
7. Nobunai Oda
8. Stephan Lambiel
9. Johnny Weir
10. Takahiko Kozuka

PAIRS
1. Shen and Zhao
2. Kavaguti and Smornov
3. Savchenko and Szolkowy

4. Pang and Tong
5. Mukhortova and Trankov
6. Zhang and Zhang
7. Dubé and Davison
8. Volosozhar and Morozov
9. Denney and Barrett
10. Bazarova and Larianov

DANCE
1. Virtue and Moir
2. Domnina and Shabalin
3. Davis and White

4. Belbin and Agosto
5. Delobel and Schoenfelder
6. Faiella and Scali
7. Khohklova and Novitski
8. Pechalat and Bourzat
9. Kerr and Kerr
10. Zaretski and Zaretski

Ivana

On the Ice
Much depends on the concept that a skater can not win an Olympic medal without a 3A. Do you really believe that nothing else matters?
I never said so, the whole package matters, after all this sport is not called jumping on ice or something similar. This is a predection threat and for me Lambiel was never a skater who was top class in the jumping department, his problems with axel are well know, I don't think we have to talk about his piruets or presentation, because that is top class. I just think that there are skaters who, as a whole package, can score better then him and was replying to jennylovskt why he did not make it into my top 5. ;)

miki88

Medalist
Ladies
1. yuna - she would have a perfect SP that excites the audience as takahashi's swan lake did. But she may make a couple mistakes in LP. LP performance may not be as interesting as SP, but she still would run away with that lead.
2. miki - she would get least pressures among top ladies (except for Caro). She would also be more comfortable abroad than in Japan. She would not fall, but she may UR.
3. mao - With the renewed confidence and mental strength, she may manage to land all her jumps without falls. But she would UR at least two of her 3As and one of her double jumps and leave out at least one of the jumps in her combos. the score would disappoint the audience.
4. suzuki - she would steal the hearts of the audience, but miss either one of the lutz or the loops. would also receive undeservingly low PCS that disappoint the audience.
5. leonova - she would land most of her jumps and excite the audience.
6. rachael - people would complain the same things, but she would land jumps and get decent marks at both TES and PCS for her performances.
7. rochette - she would still be vulnerable and bomb either at her SP or at LP. but would receive good pcs.
8. mirai - she also would steal the hearts of the audience, but UR at least a couple of jumps of hers.
9. laura - she would land only three triple jumps but still get good marks to stay here.
10. caro - would remain the same caro, meaning mistakes filled performances.
11. kiira - she would do just okay. several mistakes.

Say, among yuna, miki, rochette, caro, and mao, the ladies with least mistakes would be on the podium (A group). In the A group, caro has by far the highest bombing potential followed by rochette and mao. I wouldn't see miki or yuna bombing at this time, even though they could deliver underwhelming, boring performances with falls and stepouts.

among suzuki, leonova, mirai, and rachael those with least mistakes would make top 5. racheal has the highest consistency followed by suzuki. leonova could be vulnerable under olympic pressures or could be very happy and excite the audience and land every jump. at their top forms, suzuki is the most matured package, followed by mirai. Although neither leonova nor rachael are the whole package, leonova's programs are a lot more appealing than rachael's.

laura and kiira would make the top 7 if they are lucky. i doubt if they would suddenly discover renewed consistency.

You predict Rochette to be that low? Um I think Mao's nemesis is her SP program. If she does that well, she will be ahead of Miki. But I am hoping for an upset :) And I think either Mao (if she doesn't mess up her SP) or Miki (If she does everything she plans to do) can pull it off, because if Yuna wins just by her SP score again, it is going to be the most underwhelming Olympics ever.