New angle on Domnina&Shabalin's OD kerfuffle? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New angle on Domnina&Shabalin's OD kerfuffle?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Ya know, at this rate, if D/S doesn't win Olympic gold, they'll blame it on an Aborigine conspiracy rather than their own crummy skating and awful choreography.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am not too interested in how they'll be judged and scored. I am just interested in how gracefully they address the matter. Will they get defensive and try to silence another party? Will they use this as an opportunity to open up?

oxade21

Match Penalty

LOL, how investigative of you to take the quote out of the cotext. Secondly she was miquoted by NYT. In the actual interview in Russian she goes in much deeper deatil of her idea behind that dance.
Good god.

I am not too interested in how they'll be judged and scored. I am just interested in how gracefully they address the matter. Will they get defensive and try to silence another party? Will they use this as an opportunity to open up?

And how they are going to silence the party? Shoot them:)
They already informed that they will be meeting with indigineous groups in Canada and will make the necessary revisions and changes to customing and presentation based on the feedback. Case closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

skatingbc

Final Flight
LOL, how investigative of you to take the quote out of the cotext. Secondly she was miquoted by NYT. In the actual interview in Russian she goes in much deeper deatil of her idea behind that dance.
Good god.

How on Earth I took, "not directly based on Australian Aboriginal dance or culture", out of context I'll never know. I absolutely did not take it out of context. Perhaps the NYT took her initial quotes out of context but the problem would lie with the journalist, not me. It actually didn't take much investigation at all, since numerous news reports have used the same quotes from her. I'm hoping you actually read Russian because otherwise, you might be having the same problem understanding that I apparently have.

oxade21

Match Penalty
How on Earth I took, "not directly based on Australian Aboriginal dance or culture", out of context I'll never know. I absolutely did not take it out of context. Perhaps the NYT took her initial quotes out of context but the problem would lie with the journalist, not me. It actually didn't take much investigation at all, since numerous news reports have used the same quotes from her. I'm hoping you actually read Russian because otherwise, you might be having the same problem understanding that I apparently have.

Gee, you highlighted specific part of her interview but failed to see what followed that passage. She also says DIRECTLY and NYT did not fully quoted her not citing the passage where she actually explains what DIRECTLY means. Ohh, god.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Gee, you highlighted specific part of her interview but failed to see what followed that passage. She also says DIRECTLY and NYT did not fully quoted her not citing the passage where she actually explains what DIRECTLY means. Ohh, god.

Please enlighten me then. Where did I fail to see that Linichuk confirmed that it is supposed to be an Australian Aboriginal dance? I would prefer quotes and links please.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Boy! I care how they're marked; it would be a travesty if they won gold, possibly even if they medalled. But you know, I think they've always been very aware that the team might not be physically up to the standard of their competitors this year, and this program was an attempt to distract, as I said previously. I don't think they expected the aboriginal reaction , though.

In an odd way this can't be too bad from the Russian federation's POV.
If their federation is not supporting D/S politically, whether they've actually said that , or people are reading between the lines...I think people should be watching what's going on with Kokhlova & Novitski. If D/S should be marked down on technical content, or for any other reason, Linichuk still has two teams who are in the hunt < B/A and F/S ( though didn't Camerlengo choreograph the Italians FS? )...A medal for either of these teams would be good for Linichuk ,but it wouldn't help the Russian federation, looking ahead to world's and the awarding of competitor spots for 2011. They may be very worried about Maxim's health , having to get through Oly's and World's.

K/N's Firebird seems to be mostly bendy highlights and her costume is the most naked I've seen in years and years , I'll be very surprised if it doesn't provoke another furor at the Olympics...more distraction , another black eye for ice dance.

Apparently it is a comic take-off of a dance unknown to the choreographer. Is that correct? How did she select the music?

As a fan, how will I know if the rhythm of the music is in line with the Australian aborigians? Will I think it is like a Hollywood version of the dance?

Apparently it is a comic take-off of a dance unknown to the choreographer. Is that correct? How did she select the music?

Here is what the skaters said about the music selection process in an interview with Tatiana Flade for Golden Skate.

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/010210.shtml

We've searched for a long time," said Domnina of their original dance. "We were looking at different choices. We wanted to do something new and unusual and Natalia Vladimirovna (Linichuk) suggested this music to us.

"At first we declined," said Domnina. "This music was difficult to understand when we heard it for the first time, and I think it is also difficult for the spectators and others."

Nevertheless, the team decided this would be something new and different and they went for it. "I don't remember what I thought when I heard the music for the first time," said Shabalin. "I think this music has found us, not we found the music. Of course, this was a risk, but we went for it because we were hoping to be different from the other couples."

The former European Champions did research on the internet and watched videos of Aboriginal dances. "Actually we put this dance together rather easily although it is something unusual for us," Domnina pointed out. "We didn't have any major problems with creating and doing these moves. We've watched video clips in the internet of these dances and it is really like this - complete with the leaves around the knees."

(Domnina) went on to reveal her little secret that her little dog Topi - a Yorkshire Terrier - had input in selecting the music. "I just had bought the little dog and I went to Natalia Vladimirovna's house to listen to some music. So we were looking at all kinds of music. There was so much that my head was swollen. My dog was running around, and Natalia said, 'Let's be serious now. I'm suggesting this music and that music'. When she switched on the music of our free dance, my dog is sitting there and turning her ears."

"We laughed," continued Domnina, "but the dog had reacted to this music. When we switched on the music for the original dance, my dog started to race around the room like crazy and we understood that maybe this music is what we need. It was really like this, I'm not lying. For some reason the dog reacted to these two pieces of music. She didn't react to any of the others."

Last edited:

OHgal

Rinkside
I wonder what other major decisions their little doggie makes for them. <rolling my eyes>

Someone mentioned that the Kerr's dance wasn't really a folk dance. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of watching them yet this year -- what are they doing? And what do you consider "not folk" about it? Thanks.

As for The Dance of The Ewoks and Wookies......Whoooohooo!!! Now THAT's original!!:laugh::laugh: I'd pay good money to watch that one.:rofl:

Mafke

Medalist
Okay, I wasn't gonna go there, I really wasn't, but now I'm wondering what else she blames on the dog......

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Please enlighten me then. Where did I fail to see that Linichuk confirmed that it is supposed to be an Australian Aboriginal dance? I would prefer quotes and links please.

I wrote my views on this subject and provided proof of Linichuk's stating the OD is based upon an Australian Aboriginal dance, when she first talked about it on the Dom/Shab officail website. Her denial to Russian media came later.

http://www.blazingblades.com/720678479/blazing-blades-commentary/

There is no dance that doesn't have its origins in the people of a region. Spain probably has more variety of folk dancing than any other country. The United States Brazil and Cuba probably have the most modern folk dancing developed by its immigrants and many of them have become ballroom dances just as the waltz did.

The Kerr's, imo, were folk dancing in the self asserted style of the Keltic immigrants in western US. Unfortunately the international judges have never been impressed with anything Americana. But its a fun dance to watch anyway.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That statement was Domnina & Shabalin's, rather than Linichuk's, I think? Is Linichuk claiming that she is so bad a coach that she did not make clear to her students what the vision of the dance was, i.e. that it was generic 60,000 years ago aboriginal rather than modern Australian aboriginal? That is how this argument seems to be shaping up to me.

Joe, I believe that claims about the Kerr's dance stem from a confusion about folk and country. They are not the same. Johnny Cash is always regarded as a country singer, so their dance is country, but not folk. Country is one of the two allowed types this year, so I think Kerrs are OK. Plus their movements seem reasonably defensible as country to me, and they hired a choreographer knowledgeable of US country dancing. Their dance has line dance and two step moves in it, IMO. The setup and close of the dance are storytelling and not dancing, so the dance is theatrical, but that is not forbidden.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
I believe that claims about the Kerr's dance stem from a confusion about folk and country. They are not the same. Johnny Cash is always regarded as a country singer, so their dance is country, but not folk. Country is one of the two allowed types this year, so I think Kerrs are OK. Plus their movements seem reasonably defensible as country to me, and they hired a choreographer knowledgeable of US country dancing. Their dance has line dance and two step moves in it, IMO. The setup and close of the dance are storytelling and not dancing, so the dance is theatrical, but that is not forbidden.

I gotta say, I have some experience with country bars (the gritty kind) and watching cowboys and cowgirls dance and it doesn't look so authentic to me, but as long as the style of music is allowed, that's probably for the best. International judges wouldn't understand authetntic American style in dances like that if it spit chewing tobacco juice in their eyes and stomped on their rockers. IIRC a couple of years ago B/A had to fake up their American dance for international judges.

I also still think the subtext of the ISU guidelines is: Do something colorful and tv friendly! And the Kerrs' dance is that, I can imagine most of the women and a few of the men in the audience would love to get in that ending pose with John.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I much prefer SamBates' country dance to that of the Kerrs... the Kerrs is a mess... stupid stereotypes abound and I don't get country out of it at all (other than the costumes and Johnny Cash)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think it's perfect, but it's legal, is where I was going. yeah it doesn't exactly look like the Broken Spoke in Austin (which is a Texas honky tonk I've been to), but as Mafke says, you wouldn't exactly want it to look like it all that much since the patrons have had a few Lone Star beers as the night progreses. One of the cutest things about the Broken Spoke is their method of roof repair. When it leaked, they put a PVC drainpipe under the hole, knocked a hole at the bottom of the wall, and piped the rain outside :) No lie.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2604009&postcount=50

According to this translation of a statement made by Russian federation president Piseev, they will meet with the First Nations people to explain to them why the Aborigines should not be offended, and in fact should feel honored for the attention. However, Shabalin may change his face paint, because it might look better.

Snarkiness mine. If anyone would like to translate the whole thing, please do!

He does make a valid point that some of the Kalinkas done are not too complimentary to Russian village people. But some done by Russians aren't either. (the word 'rube' occurs to mind)