Biggest hopes for the Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Biggest hopes for the Olympics

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's pretty bad...

Okay I've watched. I can see he has trouble with it. But when he lands it it's hard for me to tell what's so bad. Is it he doesn't get much height or something? I've always been curious why people dislike Evan's skating so much. Mostly I just hear about the arm flapping.

i love to skate

Medalist
Okay I've watched. I can see he has trouble with it. But when he lands it it's hard for me to tell what's so bad. Is it he doesn't get much height or something? I've always been curious why people dislike Evan's skating so much. Mostly I just hear about the arm flapping.

It's his entry - he pre rotates and skids - so it isn't very good technique...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd love to see the unthinkable and have an American Men sweep of the podium :laugh:

I want to see the US Pairs teams skate as well if not better than what they did in Spokane. There's no pressure to make the podium, so just go out and have fun and place well.

Tanith and Ben to find their magic again and blow away the world.

I want to see a real rivalry -on ice only- between Mao and Yuna. Bring it on girls - but I want Joannie to win! :laugh:

and most of all I want to be able to enjoy the games with all of my friends on GS (old and new) so everyone PLEASE play nice!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Okay, I think I see that. Especially if I compare him to other skaters, like Weir. I mean, I can clearly tell that Weir's 3 axel is better (I looked for programs in which they both landed it of course) but I THINK I see what you are talking about. It's still tricky for me ... but fun!

BTW, I should mention that of course, I also hope that Kim Yuna has a brilliant performance because it is just so wonderful when she does. She's not perfect but who cares?

I'm looking for 'lesser' skaters to make a statement at the Games. The top skaters can battle it out for medals. (by 'lesser' I mean not too much in the limelight this season)

Men - Patrick Chan; Takahito Kozuka; Michal Brezina; Artem Borodulin;

Ladies - all of them except Mao and Yuna.

Pairs - Denny/Barrett; James/Bonheur; Evora/Ladwiq

Dance - Weaver/Poje - I love this team.

ANYONE ELSE YOU WILL BE INTERESTED IN WATCHING/

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
My biggest hopes for the Olympics are:

No judging controversy in any discipline
Inspiring skating in all disciplines where every skater skates up to or surpasses his/her full potential, thus making the competition in every discipline really exciting and really unpredictable.
I hope the skaters who are most well-rounded technically and artistically win the medals in every discipline.

Here, here! Great skating, fair judging & no poor sportmanship (esp. whining and complaining after the event by the skaters about their placing, CoP, etc.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm looking for 'lesser' skaters to make a statement at the Games. The top skaters can battle it out for medals. (by 'lesser' I mean not too much in the limelight this season)

[snip]

Ladies - all of them except Mao and Yuna.

[snip]

ANYONE ELSE YOU WILL BE INTERESTED IN WATCHING/

Of course. Our Olympic team ;) For possibly the first time ever the US ladies skaters are complete underdogs.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Of course. Our Olympic team ;) For possibly the first time ever the US ladies skaters are complete underdogs.

Definitely. I look forward to watching Yuna and Mao the most but after that it's definitely the American girls. I'll be interested to see if Rachael's consistency will get her a medal. In terms of just scoring potential, she could be in the mix. And I hope Mirai can make a statement in her first major international appearance.

It'll also be great to see what Joannie can do under pressure in her home country. She'll be in the spotlight almost as much, if not just as much, as Yuna Kim and Mao Asada.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
That all the NBC commentators, especially Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton, Dick Button and Bob Costas, all get struck down by some wonderful disease that renders them unable to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's his entry - he pre rotates and skids - so it isn't very good technique...

It scares teh crap out of me every time he goes into it... even though nine times out of ten he lands it, I still almost bite a finger off (I get nervous/anxious and bite my knuckles)

i love to skate

Medalist
Maybe Evan can learn Patrick's great 3A technique - except for the falling down part :p

I was responding to a poster's question - they asked what was wrong with his technique and I answered. Again, you feel the need to bring down other skaters (who have nothing to do with the discussion) for some reason...

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Plushenko will be on the podium, so I am not worrying about it. My biggest hope is Brian Joubert's on the podium.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. At least one of the next generation skaters in the top ten in each event.
2. Brian Joubert not on the podium
3. Fair judging. And barring that, judging that gives my favourites the results I want (just kidding, but lets be honest, with some of us, it's hard to tell the difference).:p
4. Virtue and Moir on top of the podium, Davis and White second. Massive group hug from the four.
5. Lambiel landing both triple axels. Clean. Winning gold.
6. Takakashi landing both triple axels. Clean. Winning gold.
7. Chan landing both triple axels. Clean. Winning gold.
8. A Barnstorm of a ladies competition, in the following order (long program)
a) Flatt skates first and lays down a good program. Maybe a bronze medal worthy program on a good night.
b) Ando skates next. Skates well. Doesn't matter where she ends up. I don't want her to medal, but I don't have schadenfraude for anyone not named Joubert.
c) Asada skates next. Lands both triple axels beautifully and overtakes first.
d) Rochette skates next, and has a SOHL. All seven triples, great footwork. Even people who don't like her connect to her performance. She overtakes first.
e) Kim gives a SOHL. Takes first.
f) Suzuki gives a SOHL. Takes third

Also, great performances from Lepisto, Meier and Kostner.

9. Two clean programs from Verner. Just imagine it if he does that.
10. OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS, XUE SHEN AND HONGBO ZHAO

Bennett

Record Breaker
3. Fair judging. And barring that, judging that gives my favourites the results I want (just kidding, but lets be honest, with some of us, it's hard to tell the difference).:p
4. Virtue and Moir on top of the podium, Davis and White second. Massive group hug from the four.
a) Flatt skates first and lays down a good program. Maybe a bronze medal worthy program on a good night.
b) Ando skates next. Skates well. Doesn't matter where she ends up. I don't want her to medal, but I don't have schadenfraude for anyone not named Joubert.
d) Rochette skates next, and has a SOHL. All seven triples, great footwork. Even people who don't like her connect to her performance. She overtakes first.

Very vivid scenarios with the skating order!

aurora100

Final Flight

Wow if this could only come true, it would make for a great exciting Olympic figure skating event.

aurora100

Final Flight
That all the NBC commentators, especially Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton, Dick Button and Bob Costas, all get struck down by some wonderful disease that renders them unable to speak.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Very funny! Except that this were to happen NBC will take no time to replace them with another set of talking heads.... I don't mind the commentators. It would be really weird watching figure skating without them.:thumbsup:

louieb2009

Rinkside
1. Lysacek medals.
2. Takahashi skates well.
3. Abbott skates well.
4. Ando wins gold.
5. Nagasu skates well.
6. Gedevanishvili skates well.
7. Shen/Zhao win gold.
8. Pang/Tong medal.
9. Bonheur/James skate well.
10. Belbin/Agosto medal (not happening).