Time Magazine On-line picks 11 "Olympians to watch" | Golden Skate

Time Magazine On-line picks 11 "Olympians to watch"

aurora100

Final Flight
There small bits of profiles, aimed at general public. Interesting 3 out of 10 profiled were figure skaters, which speaks to the fact that figure skating is the Crown Jewell of Winter Olympics.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I may pick Plushenko rather than Evan. Except for Plushy there is no definite favorite in men's field. But I understand that Time is an american magazine.

I think Lindsey VONN is America's poster girl. In addition to a must see by me, there is still Bode Miller for me, and the Nordic races have a good american team which they never had before.

as to Time magazine, that's their picks. I have my own.

btw. Proctor and Gambles Sunday coupon pamphlet had Tanith Belbin all through those ads, and of course, Lindsey Vonn. Stunning women!

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
I like their description of Yuna Kim :disapp: "Steady and consistent almost to the point of appearing robotic..." It's hard to tell if this was meant to be a compliment or not... I didn't see one thing article commenting on her artistry, seems more fitting for someone like Rachel Flatt.

silverlining

Rinkside
I like their description of Yuna Kim :disapp: "Steady and consistent almost to the point of appearing robotic..." It's hard to tell if this was meant to be a compliment or not... I didn't see one thing article commenting on her artistry, seems more fitting for someone like Rachel Flatt.

I don't think anyone would use/take the word "robotic" as a compliment in figure skating.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone would use/take the word "robotic" as a compliment in figure skating.

Can't "machinelike precision" be a compliment in gymnastic, meaning a 100% success rate? But robotic sounds like precise yet awkward imitation of human movements.

aurora100

Final Flight
I think in this case they meant "robotic" as in machine like precision, consistent and error free, as much as much is possible in a sport like figure skating.

kandidy

Final Flight
Obviously, the writer of this article knows nothing of how to write about figure skating.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Since there are several posters who have voiced objections to a US news magazine spotlighting American athletes for its American readers, I'd like to know which foreign news magazines are telling its readers to be sure & watch the American athletes at the Olympics rather than athletes from their own country?

csunny7

Rinkside
I think in this case they meant "robotic" as in machine like precision, consistent and error free, as much as much is possible in a sport like figure skating.

I agree. In this context, it seems a sort of compliment about Yuna's amazing skating technique that is consistent, perfect , clean and precise.
Most skate lovers basically know Yuna is a rare mixture of superb technique & brilliant artistry. Here, it just put empasis on her perfect skating skills;)

Last edited: