2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The pairs will be the first skaters competing in Vancouver, skating their short programs just two days after the Opening Ceremonies on Valentine's Day. The table has been set for a delicious entrée of favorites who have the potential to satisfy every craving an observer might have, and the competition even comes with a collection of second-tier teams that offer a sweet dessert for the skating aficionado.

MORE

yangjie

On the Ice
I felt as if I were in the COLD WAR when i read this artcle.

who wrote this article?

questionable score for a russia couple? ah? what a riduculous artcle it is.

Just looking for Denny/Barret to make a statement and be in the top 5. and with Evora/Ladwiq the Americans may get 3 teams next season.

roemerr

Rinkside
I really don't like it when writers suggest a team or skater will not medal. We all know the most likely medal contenders, but anything can happen. Go Caydee and Jeremy! Go Amanda and Mark! Anything can happen!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I believe they hold the draw a day or two before the event so we should know the skate order by sometime on Saturday.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the great article!! I was so thrilled to see Shen and Zhao back this season, but must confess that I missed most of the pairs skating so far this season. From the article and the scores at different events (although, again, I didn't see those events)...it seems like the podium and the order on it might be a bit of a nail biter. I'm one of those fans that always hopes the skaters just do their best - so good luck to all the skaters! I admit - if the shorts go well, I'm going to be a nervous wreck watching the LPs.

skatemom8

Rinkside
I believe they hold the draw a day or two before the event so we should know the skate order by sometime on Saturday.

Lyndon Johnston (one of the coaches for the US Pairs) just reported to the rink in Florida that the draw will take place tomorrow (Friday) morning.

hongligl

Final Flight
Can't wait! I'm so excited! Good luck for the draw my favourite teams!
BTW, is it going to be a complete random draw, or random draw within groups, say top ten, top tweenty?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just looking for Denny/Barret to make a statement and be in the top 5.

I just hope the media/US at large doesn't EXPECT that (or anything) of them and just lets them skate. Why put pressure on a newbie team? We should learn from those mistakes after Keauna & Rockne. jmo :yes:

hongligl

Final Flight
Normally it's not good. But this should not be as bad as under 6.0. I wish S/Z get fair marks even for the early draw.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Was the draw really completely random? The top pairs are the last ones to skate (except for Xue and Hongbo).

andofan

Rinkside
Nope- the draw was seeded. Yao Bin actually predicted that S/Z would probably skate in the first group, if not first! He feels very confident, though, that S/Z will receive fair scores, since they got excellent scores at the GP events.

Trevorgao

Rinkside
Pairs teams are grouped into two pools before the drawing according to their world rankings. The ones with lower rankings (10 pairs of the 20) will go first, and the order of these ten is based on the number they drew. This world ranking is based on the competition of the 08 and 09 season, as shen and zhao missed the 08 season they rank only 29, so they are definitely within the first ten to go. SZ being first with SS being last to go is completely random and their own selections. ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I love fairy tale endings and would love to see S/Z finally win gold to cap off their brilliant careers. They skate from the heart and always move me.