2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating

cornell08

Final Flight
Considering how long they've been in the sport, and how far they've come in combining artistry with athleticism, expression and their sheer love of skating itself, I would say they do deserve gold more than anyone else. Which isn't to say that ANY performance by them deserves gold. Its just that they are a storybook couple who have been through so much, fell in love on the ice, and transcended national-lines. No wonder they are the sentimental favorites.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Considering how long they've been in the sport, and how far they've come in combining artistry with athleticism, expression and their sheer love of skating itself, I would say they do deserve gold more than anyone else. Which isn't to say that ANY performance by them deserves gold. Its just that they are a storybook couple who have been through so much, fell in love on the ice, and transcended national-lines. No wonder they are the sentimental favorites.

What does falling in love on the ice have to do with you deserving gold? B/S were in love before they became partners on the ice and fell out of love if you read Anton's interview, because they paired up. But they were still a far more beautiful team than S/Z will ever dream of being. Natalia and Artur were clearly not in love, but were one of the most passionate teams around. Then there's Tatiana and Morozov, they ARE in love but most of us agree that she would be way better off with another on ice partner, because his skating is not up to her standards.

I don't Aliona and Robin's lack of a romantic relationship makes them less deserving. And I think they are very artistic. In many ways they have been far more innovative than S/Z skating to all kinds of different music and embracing all kinds of diifferent styles. S/Z in contrast I think have only found artistry by skating to one style. I liked S/Z but really I don't think they are the best pairs team of all time. There's a reason S/P and B/S beat them all the time.

And all the teams go through stuff. You don't think it was difficult for Aliona to move to a country where she didn't know the language at her age? Or for Robin, to grew up as black athlete in East Germany? (Although he says he experienced no racism) In an article, they talked about how Robin almost quit the sport because he couldn't find a decent partner. They all work and try hard, all of these pairs.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)I just hope the team that skates best wins.

At the same time , I am so impressed with the way S/Z have come back , and the extent to which they've adapted to today's requirements.
I 'm also an admirer of Aliona & Robin, and would be happy to see them win if they deserve it. Whatever elements they include in their programs, I have one criticism of their programs in general; many of the positions they take to show flexibility or add difficulty are less than beautiful which defeats the purpose for me. Ingo's fault , so I don't imagine that will change.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Who did they predict to win the SP tonight?

Basically all 3 said Shen & Zhao, however Sandra did mention about not being too consistant on their SBS jumps. Also Michelle (an assistant there) said that Yuko & Sasha had a strong practice and shouldn't be counted out.

mhu714

On the Ice
Can someone please explain the scoring tonight? At least 4 or 5 teams seemed to be majorly overscored. Perhaps it doesn't matter that much bec even the team that, IMHO was overscored the most, D&D are still only in 6th place, but still....I could not believe my eyes as team (L&H, both Russian teams, D&D, etc) after team received wildly high scores for pretty flawed performances.

evangeline

Record Breaker
What does falling in love on the ice have to do with you deserving gold? B/S were in love before they became partners on the ice and fell out of love if you read Anton's interview, because they paired up. But they were still a far more beautiful team than S/Z will ever dream of being. Natalia and Artur were clearly not in love, but were one of the most passionate teams around. Then there's Tatiana and Morozov, they ARE in love but most of us agree that she would be way better off with another on ice partner, because his skating is not up to her standards.

I don't Aliona and Robin's lack of a romantic relationship makes them less deserving. And I think they are very artistic. In many ways they have been far more innovative than S/Z skating to all kinds of different music and embracing all kinds of diifferent styles. S/Z in contrast I think have only found artistry by skating to one style. I liked S/Z but really I don't think they are the best pairs team of all time. There's a reason S/P and B/S beat them all the time.

And all the teams go through stuff. You don't think it was difficult for Aliona to move to a country where she didn't know the language at her age? Or for Robin, to grew up as black athlete in East Germany? (Although he says he experienced no racism) In an article, they talked about how Robin almost quit the sport because he couldn't find a decent partner. They all work and try hard, all of these pairs.

Exactly.

I have no complaints about the results, but there was so much easy lyrical music being used, especially with the top teams. There was no change of tempo (except for Firebird). Langois/Hay at least danced a waltz on the ice - the others just carefully executing their elements with a dreamy look on their faces. I even would have welcomed a Carmen Pairs just to liven up the event. Come to think of it, AFAIK, there has never been a Carmen Pairs which would make more sense than using it for singles.

Hoping for a bit of excitement tonight in the LP.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I even would have welcomed a Carmen Pairs just to liven up the event. Come to think of it, AFAIK, there has never been a Carmen Pairs which would make more sense than using it for singles.

Hoping for a bit of excitement tonight in the LP.

Dube/Davison skated a Carmen LP last season. Granted, it was a pretty limp renedition...