Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko

oxade21

Match Penalty
LMFAO, and those are your quotes?
None of those quotes Plush attacks anyone's personally and openly like Chan does. If only Chan had brains to generalize his comments like Plush did in all your comments, instead pointing fingers.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
It seems that Chan is a bit too arrogant for his own good. Maybe instead of bashing other (better) skaters, he should focus on improving his skating instead of bashing others to make himself feel superior. Definately won't be a fan of Chan, not that I was before. Chan could definately use some lessons in basic good sportsmanship.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
interesting... Surya and Johnny are lauded as heroes on this board for not playing the PR game and sticking it to the media/judges/federations/rivals.... Chan does it and it's wrong.

I'm not agreeing with him, but I just find it interesting... this double standard.

Bennett

Record Breaker
That's not actually a true statement. Ando does do all the triples, she does the 3flip in her short program (every competition) And if she does the 3flip every short program that means she's perfectly capable of adding it to her long if she feels she needs it. In fact Ando has announced that she has a layout plan that includes a 3flip if she feels she'll need that to win or medal.

I am glad to hear that she brings her flip back to her LP.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Chuckm, I agree with you. Furthermore, not only will Plushenko's quads wipe the mat with Chan's transitions, it's not as if Plushenko scores zeroes for transitions anyway. It's a moot point, though. Chan needs to leave it on the ice, and underestimating the talented, driven competition is not the way to do that.

Bennett

Record Breaker

Except that Plushenko can score 19.6 with two quads, but no one ever gets 10.00 in any component category.

Chan can and sometimes does get higher TR (transition) and CH (choreography) scores than other skaters. But even if he does, that isn't likely to offset the high TES skaters like Plushenko can generate with their high-value jumps that Chan doesn't have.

Furthermore, other skaters (including Plushenko) get higher SS and IN scores

Here are some recent Chan/Plushenko component scores. TR and CH are bolded:

Total PCS, SS TR PE CH IN
40.20 8.10 7.55 8.15 8.05 8.35 Plushenko, Europeans 2010 SP
83.10 8.50 7.65 8.45 8.40 8.55 Plushenko, Europeans 2010 FS

36.95 7.55 7.15 7.50 7.35 7.40 Chan, Worlds 2009 SP
76.10 7.70 7.45 7.60 7.70 7.60 Chan, Worlds 2010 FS

38.60 7.75 7.45 7.90 7.70 7.80 Chan, 4CC 2009 SP
80.10 7.85 7.80 8.15 8.05 8.20 Chan, 4CC 2009 FS

Chan's highest PCS scores were recorded at 4CC 2009. Even those scores don't give him any edge vs. Plushenko.

Then isn't judging unfair?

yangjie

On the Ice
I dont care whether patric thinks transitions are better than quads or not

WE FIGURE SKATIG FAN lOVE WATCHING QUADS, WHICH makes a skater special.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
WE FIGURE SKATIG FAN lOVE WATCHING QUADS, WHICH makes a skater special.

actually a lot of fans don't like that jump

I am not one of them, but it doesn't make or break it for me. honestly I'd rather have a quad flow in the program ala Ryan Bradley's two quads at nationals than the ones that are just put in because they can do them and that's all they've got (ala Plushenko)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then isn't judging unfair?

You think it's unfair that Chan doesn't always win? Give me a break. First of all, Chan has NEVER skated a clean SP and FS in an international competition. Except for the 3A, which continues to be a problem, Chan is an excellent technician, but he isn't a great performer. Chan isn't particularly expressive, and his jumps don't inspire awe the way Plushenko's do because Chan's are small and don't cover much ice. To my eyes, as a performer, Chan is rather bland and somewhat boring, while Plushenko---love him or hate him---is rarely boring.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh really?

So what do that 'a lot of fans' like?

'

it's different for everyone, your statment included all figure skating fans. there are a lot/quite a few on this board that are like Chan - they prefer "transitions" to jumps (especially the quad, which doesn't get a lot of love from every fan). (here's one thread in the archives that show some of what I mean - http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?889-the-quad-disease&highlight=quad ) there are other threads where teh main subject was not the quad and it's likability that people voiced their opinions/concerns as well... do a search if you're interested. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Chan and Slipchuk do some damage control. Actually, the latter has become most diplomatic lately, even admitting that there are always different cultural biases in evaluating skating (including NA bias). Chan needs to work some more on his diplomacy skills... This sounds nice:
"I won’t do the quad in the program, but I will do it in practice," he said. "So I don’t feel so much out of place."
This is funny:
"I didn’t call him old. I just said he’s in a different era as me. I’m much younger as a skater. But he’s still a very good skater for his age.
Ah yes, Plushy at his advanced age! :laugh:

Slipchuk gets his skating history wrong:
With Joubert and Plushenko, they’ve been doing quads at the world level since 2004," said Skate Canada director of high performance Mike Slipchuk. "Well, 2002, earlier for Plushenko
Actually, it was late 1990s for Plushenko, and no later than 2002 for Brian.

And added this:
"(Chan's) a very strong technical skater. He may not do a quad but he makes a lot of points up on footwork and spins and that, that other people might not.
Chan is not an unusually good spinner compared to others in the field and he's not the only guy to have gotten level 4 on footwork.

Chan again:
It’s not only about the quad," Chan said. "You don’t win automatically with it. You have the rest of the program which is where I come in, the footwork, the transitions, interpretation, is what helps me. I love the new system. It’s a great way to promote an all-around skater. Especially a skater like me."
Again, IMO he doesn't have an edge on the entire field in any of these areas.

But Lambiel gets it right:
"I don’t care about the others. I just care about my job. And I just want to do my performance. With quad or no quad, that’s not the most important. The performance, that’s what is important here at the Olympic Games. It’s not about the quad or a jump, it’s the performance in general."

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I don't have a problem with Patrick speaking his mind - although I do have a problem with Mr inman's behaviour (though I doubt he's the only one).

Concerning what Patrick said:

"For me the transitions are one of the most important things in a programme, otherwise it's very boring to watch,"

I don't agree. Transitions can be part of making a program interesting, but I've seen loads of interesting programs without transitions.

"I love the new system, it's a great way to promote an all around skater especially a skater like me,"

I only partly agree. I've got the feeling that this system priviledges people with footwork and spins, but not so much with jumps. Under the current system (though it is early) I think it's harder for Stéphane Lambiel-like skaters too emmerge.
On the last part - I admire his honesty.

"He's (Plushenko) confident that the quad will really help him, that he doesn't need transitions. He's old, I can't tell him it's not good.

One doesn't need transitions if the program is very good - Plushenko's programs this year are dull.

"I think we'll start seeing more skaters like me in future generations."

Probably.

jessica1018

Spectator
"I think we'll start seeing more skaters like me in future generations."

Probably.

WoW - I can't imagine how fantastic it will be full of skaters like him! - a skater proclaiming himself as a "all-round skater" (wait, what's the definition of "all-round"? Inconcistensy in 3A is included in that definition? He NEVER succeeded 3A in the second half of the LP in his life. What about other trple consistencies? So the technique is not important in this Olympic sport!) and disses a skater with a stable quad and much better career every year.

Great! Can't wait to see the scene! :p

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
Okay, I don't want to hate on Chan...well, only a bit. ;) But what is his problem? He's not a complete skater either! As long as he doesn't have a reliable triple axel, no quad etc. he's deficient in the jumping part of figure skating. And the jumps are a part of figure skating, an important one at that.

And Plushenko has better jumps (that cover more ice, are more powerful etc.), IMO better presence on the ice and excellent skating skills. So of course he should get high PCS in these areas. And he is getting docked for Transitions, Choreography etc. this season. Frankly, this just seems like Chan is scared to death that Plushenko will wipe the floor with him and lashes out to cover his anxiety.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko has spoken about Urmanov with the best words I ve seen him talk for an ex skater. And Urmy also. Dont find drama where is not. There is 1000 articles per day in russian press about Plushenko, yellow articles, purple, green, all colours:p. I m surprised this is all there is of quotes for him to be concidered the evil.;)

So far from the quotes I see Plush attacking on flies, not skaters:laugh:

honestly I'd rather have a quad flow in the program ala Ryan Bradley's two quads at nationals than the ones that are just put in because they can do them and that's all they've got (ala Plushenko)

ouch toni, :laugh: pleasssssssssssssssssssssssseee! he has got much more!!!

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/vancouver2010/news/2010/02/11/12846301-qmi.html

Ok I think journalists are really evil , I mean he cant have said this. Although it is funny, this olympic drama is really fun!

Chan suggested that the pressure may be actually getting to one of his biggest rival, defending Olympic men’s singles champion Evgeni Plushenko, who watched Chan’s practice from the stands.
“It showed that he’s really scared of what I do,” said the 19-year-old skater.
The most obvious was that Plush stayed and watched cause he was skating after him and he has never seen him in competitions, maybe???

Chinese pais watched evgeni's practice, they are scared also he will jump to pairs competition?

Bennett

Record Breaker
You think it's unfair that Chan doesn't always win? Give me a break. First of all, Chan has NEVER skated a clean SP and FS in an international competition. Except for the 3A, which continues to be a problem, Chan is an excellent technician, but he isn't a great performer. Chan isn't particularly expressive, and his jumps don't inspire awe the way Plushenko's do because Chan's are small and don't cover much ice. To my eyes, as a performer, Chan is rather bland and somewhat boring, while Plushenko---love him or hate him---is rarely boring.

Wait, we were talking about transitions, right?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/vancouver2010/news/2010/02/11/12846301-qmi.html

Ok I think journalists are really evil , I mean he cant have said this. Although it is funny, this olympic drama is really fun!
Chan suggested that the pressure may be actually getting to one of his biggest rival, defending Olympic men’s singles champion Evgeni Plushenko, who watched Chan’s practice from the stands.
“It showed that he’s really scared of what I do,” said the 19-year-old skater.
The most obvious was that Plush stayed and watched cause he was skating after him and he has never seen him in competitions, maybe???

Chinese pais watched evgeni's practice, they are scared also he will jump to pairs competition?
Ha ha, Chan is getting really silly. Maybe Plushy was there to see the so-called future of skating, in which case I predict Plushy will be back for Sochi. :laugh:

Or maybe he was trying to psych out Chan? Or he was bored? Waiting for someone? What can Patrick Chan possibly do to scare Evgeny Plushenko? Really, if he said that, he's trying to mess with the wrong guy.