Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko

seniorita

Record Breaker
Evgeni at every Olys and almost in all competitions does a vow of silence before the sp and the lp.The reason he had said back in 2002 was because he needs to keep all his energy and concetration for on ice. I remember in 2006 he passed all the media room after sp, and journalists asking for one question, answer was "Nyet". Chan should try it too.

I expect big finger gestures from Plush at the end, if he skates like he wants. All five fingers!

schiele

Final Flight
Concerning what Patrick said:

"For me the transitions are one of the most important things in a programme, otherwise it's very boring to watch,"

I don't agree. Transitions can be part of making a program interesting, but I've seen loads of interesting programs without transitions.
Oda's Chaplin, Brian's Apocalyptica/Metallica LP, Fernandez' Pirates of ther Carribean LP :love:, Preaubert's Rolling Stones LP just come to my mind.. Great choreo does not mean lots and lots of transitions, I think the day Mr Chan will realize that he will become a more expressive skater instead of a skater with good transitons and fluidity and no real interpretation. Maybe he should watch some Lambiel or Abbott instead of watching Plushenko for his entertainment..

"I love the new system, it's a great way to promote an all around skater especially a skater like me,"

I only partly agree. I've got the feeling that this system priviledges people with footwork and spins, but not so much with jumps. Under the current system (though it is early) I think it's harder for Stéphane Lambiel-like skaters too emmerge.
On the last part - I admire his honesty.
unfortunely an all round skater should be proficient with jumps as well. Faulty jumps should not be justified with the excuse of being an all round skater. To his suprise,Lambiel and Abbott fit this description better than Chan.

"He's (Plushenko) confident that the quad will really help him, that he doesn't need transitions. He's old, I can't tell him it's not good.

One doesn't need transitions if the program is very good - Plushenko's programs this year are dull.
Yep, that's precisely it. Like we said in the first pharagraph there are many great programmes not in dire need of transitions to hide behind the fact that there is no real choreo or interpretation going on there. What Plushenko always has, despite dull programmes, is the presence and command on ice, like Lysacek.

"I think we'll start seeing more skaters like me in future generations."

Probably.
I hope we won't just see skaters like him but we will have some variety. God bless Fernandez and Amadio for giving me some hope.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually schiele, I wonder if your last statement is true. I've really enjoyed what I've seen from Amodio (Fernandez, less so) this season, his Munich SP is a small gem and his long program is undeniably engaging, but it seems male skaters that are a bit more lighthearted suffer a little bit internationally - I'm thinking Alban Preaubert and Ryan Bradley in particular. I wonder if that would affect Amodio (who has an advantage here with his federation being fully behind him as the future and better basics than the other two). Secondly, I actually believe Chan here. I think what we're gonna see more of in the future is skaters who (a) know how to work COP to their advantage and (b) have a sense of musicality about them. I don't think Chan is the complete skater COP dreams of - not while the triple axel is still a boogie-bear for him, but I don't think that skater has emerged from the men (Kim for ladies, the Shpilband teams for dance, and no one yet for pairs). I can see Brezina or D. Ten fitting that mold, moreso than Fernandez or Amodio, truth be told.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
What can Patrick Chan possibly do to scare Evgeny Plushenko? Really, if he said that, he's trying to mess with the wrong guy.

So true!!!!!!!! There are other guys who might threaten Plushenko, not Chan. Chan is better shut up and stop making himself like "Johnny Weir in 2006 Olympics".;)

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So true!!!!!!!! There are other guys who might treat Plushenko, not Chan. Chan is better shut up and stop making himself like "Johnny Weir in 2006 Olympics".;)

Does Plushenko like ice cream? Your last statement stings with the truth, though. He really isn't doing himself any favours.

schiele

Final Flight
Actually schiele, I wonder if your last statement is true. I've really enjoyed what I've seen from Amodio (Fernandez, less so) this season, his Munich SP is a small gem and his long program is undeniably engaging, but it seems male skaters that are a bit more lighthearted suffer a little bit internationally - I'm thinking Alban Preaubert and Ryan Bradley in particular. I wonder if that would affect Amodio (who has an advantage here with his federation being fully behind him as the future and better basics than the other two). Secondly, I actually believe Chan here. I think what we're gonna see more of in the future is skaters who (a) know how to work COP to their advantage and (b) have a sense of musicality about them. I don't think Chan is the complete skater COP dreams of - not while the triple axel is still a boogie-bear for him, but I don't think that skater has emerged from the men (Kim for ladies, the Shpilband teams for dance, and no one yet for pairs). I can see Brezina or D. Ten fitting that mold, moreso than Fernandez or Amodio, truth be told.

I agree about Brezina and Denis T., the reason I didn't name them was because it is obvious they have the potential to be the COP all round skaters. But even with them and others alike on the way, some variety in the mix won't hurt us, that's what I meant. Amodio, well he has the potential to be more all round than Fernandez, while the latter will clearly go the more crossover (between 6.0 and COP) way but to my bare eyes both already look unique in terms of their style and their persona on the ice so I enjoy them quite a lot. We'll see how they will turn out eventually.
I also agree about Bradley and Preaubert, while theirpersona on the ice helped them with audience appeal and made me appreciate them a lot, they have inherently some basic problems in their skatings that prevented them from rising higher. For instance, Joubert or Verner (minus the headcase) were more successful in maintaining a different and audience friendly approach but still pulling it technically so it means even with that approach skaters can still reach the top.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Sorry. It's a typo. You know that.

Yeah, I was trying to make a joke, bringing levity to a thread where one of my favourite skaters is getting raked over the coals (and since I can't deny he deserves it a little bit, I'm trying diversionary measures).

ETA: To fix a typo

jennylovskt

Medalist
Yeah, I was trying to make a joke, bringing levity to a thread where one of my favourite skaters is getting raked over the coals (and since I can't deny he deserves it a little bit, I'm trying diversionary measures).

ETA: To fix a typo

I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out (in an unpleasent way.;) But since you have explained it. It's understandable.)

I felt a little like this too because I have always felt that I am somehow related to Patrick Chan. His jerking behavior made me feel ashamed. Someone who are close to him and read this board should tell him that he is making himself like a fool.

Last edited:

sk8rdad

On the Ice
sk8rdad, FYI Chan turned 19 in December. He is far more an adult than a teenager. It's because he still talks like a punk kid that people think he's younger than he is.

Chan may have transitions, but he doesn't have much in the way of jumps, his 3A continues to be inconsistent and he often doubles at least one jump in his FS. Chan's jumps are relatively small: he tends to jump up, rotate, and come down in the same spot----no ice coverage on his jumps. OTOH, Plushenko not only jumps high in the air, but he covers a huge expanse of ice between takeoff and landing. Plushenko's jumps are powerful, and by comparison, Chan's are puny.

Chan can boast away about his transitions, but what comes between them is often not awe-inspiring. If he was really smart, he'd keep his mouth shut and train hard on that elusive 3A.

A big mouth doesn't win Olympic medals. Great skating does.

Oh my GOD I got his age wrong by 2 whole months.... You're obviously right he is so much more grown up that I thought :sheesh:

Chan talks like most teenage boys (I have one so I know from experience). Plushenko at the same age also came off as quite arrogant and IMO still does (re recent finger waggling). I like both skaters for entirely different reasons. Plushenko has incredible jumps and it's amazing that he still has them at 27. While I also find his programs entertaining I feel he does tend to be overscored in TR and CH compared to many skaters. Chan brings a completely different look to the ice and while he doesn't have a quad yet his footwork is second to none and his interpretation while not necessarily to some fans tastes there are many who like what he does myself included.

I think many people here are over reacting to this interview Chan was asked questions (which if you will note were not actually quoted in the interview) and finished by clearly stating that the competition would be exciting and basically it would be won by the skater who puts it all together. Beside a bit of controversy and rivaly wouldn't be that bad for the sport it might actually draw some viewer in.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Chan is filter- and tact-free. In this recent interview, he even disses his mom:

"My mom's an awful cook. She doesn't make anything special. She does make fried rice but we haven't had that for a while. We mostly go out to restaurants to eat, so I guess her secret recipe is to bring me to a restaurant and have dinner out."

Plushy shouldn't take it personal, nor should his fans: Patty is just set on tool mode all the time.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I find it interesting that there is the implication that if someone could jump but doesn''t have many transitions, they are considered a jumper. But if someone had transitions but not jumps, they are considered an all-around skater.

Chan may constantly advertise himself as an all-around skater, but I find it difficult to accept that an all-around skater would struggle with the 3A and have no quad. A true all-around skater would be Jeremy Abbott, who has a quad, transitions, good expression and musicality, etc.

schiele

Final Flight
I find it interesting that there is the implication that if someone could jump but doesn''t have many transitions, they are considered a jumper. But if someone had transitions but not jumps, they are considered an all-around skater.

Chan may constantly advertise himself as an all-around skater, but I find it difficult to accept that an all-around skater would struggle with the 3A and have no quad. A true all-around skater would be Jeremy Abbott, who has a quad, transitions, good expression and musicality, etc.

Yep, yep, yep.. And also Lambiel (before he lost that 3A sometime after 2006).. :biggrin:

sk8rdad

On the Ice

While Jermey is a very good skater and one I would consider an all-around skater he also is not known for being Mr consistency either.

schiele

Final Flight
While Jermey is a very good skater and one I would consider an all-around skater he also is not known for being Mr consistency either.

Well, only two male skaters truly deserve that title at them moment, Plushenko and Lysacek.. Ironically they are the two most disliked skaters as well (based on the forum posts). :laugh::laugh:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Jeremy may have the transitions, but his speed leaves a lot to be desired, as does his posture and his gawky lines (stop hunching those shoulders, for god's sakes). I don't find him particularly musical, either. I'm not sure where that reputation comes from. He tries to skate sensitively to melodramatic music, but the net effect is rather comical to me.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well, only two male skaters truly deserve that title at them moment, Plushenko and Lysacek.. Ironically they are the two most disliked skaters as well (based on the forum posts). :laugh::laugh:

Probably some folks feel that consistency does not equal talent in figure skating hence the dislike of Plushy and Evan. I happen to disagree. Consistency is a talent.
When you are in the medal hunt I would say that consistency will triumph.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Here's my LOLskatr of Jeremy:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rp9zk3.jpg

Probably some folks feel that consistency does not equal talent in figure skating hence the dislike of Plushy and Evan. I happen to disagree. Consistency is a talent.
When you are in the medal hunt I would say that consistency will triumph.

People don't like Plush and Lysacek 'cause of their consistency? Is that your conjecture? Because when skate fans criticize Plushy, the chief complaint is his lack of choreographic content, his arm-flailing and his over-scoring. Same deal for Lyssie, except some of the complaints there seem to stem from personal encounters.

jennylovskt

Medalist