Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko

janetfan

Match Penalty
You know what? Some people shake inside but they could hind that fear with the loud voice. I don't believe that Patrick Chan would truly think that he could beat Plushenko.;)

But Patrick is criticized and not Plushy's hilarious, ridiculous claims ?
What a big Double Standard.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ouch toni, :laugh: pleasssssssssssssssssssssssseee! he has got much more!!!

yes, I forgot the batting of flies... how could I forget that one! that makes up for the lack of artistic creativity for sure :sheesh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't see Lysacek shaking in fear when it comes to plushy, nor has Lambiel or any of the other top contenders... most of them aren't counting him out, just know posturing won't get them the results they want...

Chan has pretty much jinxed himself with all of this big talk... hope he stays on his feet so he isn't Canada's version of Lysacek or Weir ala 2006.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by janetfan
What a big Double Standard

There's a difference between a skater saying my competition is scared of me. And a skater singling out one specific competitor and calling the competitor old, criticizing his programs and saying he's a good skater "for his age." The ridiculousness of Patrick's comments is say what you will about Plushy's choregraphy (and he's capable of more if he were to ever bother to try) is the fact that the old skater can outjump him by a lot. Not to mention the fact that the skater has more achievements than Patrick will probably ever have in his career. 3 world titles, lots of world medals, Olympic silver, and Olympic gold to name a few.

To be frank I hope to heck that the future skaters aren't like Patrick and the future skaters can do a triple axels consistently, and quads. I'm sort of hoping the future is like Daisuke (before injury) and I'm thinking Brezina has more potential to be the future (at least I hope).

I have to really give it to Patrick, I was dreading the likely Plushenko win (and I"m still hoping someone will beat Plushy.) But I'm sooo looking forward to when Plushenko starts talking after the Olympics, but I'm sure that Plushenko is going to lay into Chan...

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
It is truth about Joubert and Johnny but not sure about any others

I actually think that Plushenko in the midst could end up being the best thing that happened to Joubert because he'll go for 2 quads in the long this time. Sometimes a healthy fear of your competition is a good thing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait, we were talking about transitions, right?

Transitions is only ONE of FIVE components. SS (Skating Skills), PE (Performance/Execution) and IN are just as important. Chan gets lower scores in these categories than many of the other top skaters.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Transitions is only ONE of FIVE components. SS (Skating Skills), PE (Performance/Execution) and IN are just as important. Chan gets lower scores in these categories than many of the other top skaters.
Nobody in this thread is arguing against his statement that he's better at transitions than Plushenko. Then why doesn't he win in the transition score?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Then why doesn't he win in the transition score?
Hmmm.... interesting. And why doesn't he?
btw, doesn't Joubert beat them both in TRs? In Worlds 2009 Joubert outscored Chan in TR in both sp and lp. In Euros 2010 Joubert had better sp tr scores compared to Plushenko's. Looks like Brian isn't just a quad king, he's a tr king as well!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a big Double Standard.

If Plushenko considers himself a champion, he has every right to do so. He has earned that title over his career, and his performance at 2010 Euros shows that he still is a dominant figure in figure skating. Plushenko is the reigning Olympic Champion and has also won Olympic silver. He is a 3-time World Champion and won his first World medal (a bronze) at 15, and won JW at 14. He has been European champion 6 times and has a total of 9 Euros medals. He has won 22 GP medals, 18 of them gold; in addition he has won 4 GPF Championships and 3 GPF silver/bronze medals.

You cannot tell me that the current crop of skaters were excited and happy to see Plushenko return. They all know there will be one less space on the Olympic podium available to them.

OTOH, Chan has one World medal and just one ISU CHampionship: 4CC; he won that with Takahashi on the injured list and Oda returning from a year's ban. Chan has had 4 seasons in the GP and of 7 events has 3 gold and one bronze medal. He made the GPF twice and finished next-to-last twice. Chan never won Junior Worlds after 3 tries, and failed to medal at the JGPF the one time he made it.

Yet Chan seems to think he is on the same level as Plushenko, and dismisses him as "old" or "good for his age". Now he's saying that Plushenko is afraid of him. What chutzpah!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nobody in this thread is arguing against his statement that he's better at transitions than Plushenko. Then why doesn't he win in the transition score?

Because Inman is right, and TR isn't being scored correctly by ISU judges. The reason for this is that there is an ISU regulation applied to judges' scores that looks for unusual variances in scores for any skater. So what judges do to avoid review is give each skater a Skating Skills score, then cluster the other component categories around the SS score; TR is usually the lowest number.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yet Chan seems to think he is on the same level as Plushenko, and dismisses him as "old" or "good for his age". Now he's saying that Plushenko is afraid of him. What chutzpah!

Chan is free to speak his mind as is Plushy. If Plushy and his fans think all of the other skaters are shaking in their boots they are free to feel that way.
Just as I am free to think Plushy's comments are boith hilarius and ridiculous.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What is transitions anyway? Like elements connecting the jumps? Well, if Chan's jumps aren't clean, then his transitions aren't that good. You only have good transition when you can succeed the next move.

It's like you're running really fast from one class to another and doing all kind of hand waving, twist and turn, and then stumble in front of the door. Do people call that "good transition"?

Patrick Chan has terrible transition, and is scored a bit on the higher side.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whether he likes it or not, Chan is NOT on the same level as Plushenko---Chan is a wannabee, and is acting like a 14-year-old. Read the boards---there is a lot of hostile reaction to Chan's big mouth. In fact, a number of posters have said outright they were never a fan of Plushenko but are now hoping that Plushenko beats Chan by a big margin.

schiele

Final Flight
What is transitions anyway? Like elements connecting the jumps? Well, if Chan's jumps aren't clean, then his transitions aren't that good. You only have good transition when you can succeed the next move.

It's like you're running really fast from one class to another and doing all kind of hand waving, twist and turn, and then stumble in front of the door. Do people call that "good transition"?

Patrick Chan has terrible transition, and is scored a bit on the higher side.

I wouldn't go that far but I'd call them excessive transitions. If transition (means) are getting in the way of jumps (end) then obviously it is excessive for that skater. However when bad jumping technique is excused with having difficult transitions, then it makes me think there is something clearly wrong here. And this is not concerning only Chan, of course.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Read the boards---there is a lot of hostile reaction to Chan's big mouth. In fact, a number of posters have said outright they were never a fan of Plushenko but are now hoping that Plushenko beats Chan by a big margin.

Reading the boards I see alot of negative reaction to Plushenko. Read the "Nightmare podium" thread here and you will see how often Plushy comes up.

Is Patrick supposed to read that he is "shaking" at the thought of competing against Plushy and agree with it? Are you saying you would expect that type of behavior? Plushy has fired several volleys at different skaters this season and he should expect some fire back. I am sure he does, and I suspect Patrick might even amuse Plushy.

Patrick amuses me and Plushy's "shaking" comment made me hysterical. Laughter is good for the soul :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you concentrate more on one dimension of skating than others, something gets lost in the process. With all his emphasis on transitions and footwork, Chan still has an inconsistent 3A and no quad. He spends so much energy during a performance on the TR and CH that he lacks "presence"---i.e., musical interpretation and expressiveness go out the window. So Chan is right---he has lots of transitions, but his overall performance hasn't improved much over the past year. And it's the performance that the judges are rating. TR and CH are only part of it: it's what the skater weaves out of the components that makes the performance. In Patrick's case, the whole is somehow less than the sum of its parts.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reading the boards I see alot of negative reaction to Plushenko. Read the "Nightmare podium" thread here and you will see how often Plushy comes up.

Is Patrick supposed to read that he is "shaking" at the thought of competing against Plushy and agree with it? Are you saying you would expect that type of behavior? Plushy has fired several volleys at different skaters this season and he should expect some fire back. I am sure he does, and I suspect Patrick might even amuse Plushy.

Patrick amuses me and Plushy's "shaking" comment made me hysterical. Laughter is good for the soul :)

Please reply with LINKS to the "volleys" fired at other skaters. This was discussed earlier in this thread, and no one has been able to find quotes from Plushenko making fun of other skaters.
Maybe you should try going back and reading the WHOLE thread before charging Plushenko with non-existent behavior.

Chan has no respect for skaters with longer, more impressive resumes than his. What Chan basically is lacking in is good sportsmanship.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I wouldn't go that far but I'd call them excessive transitions. If transition (means) are getting in the way of jumps (end) then obviously it is excessive for that skater. However when bad jumping technique is excused with having difficult transitions, then it makes me think there is something clearly wrong here. And this is not concerning only Chan, of course.

Hehe, I was trying to make a point. To answer someone who asked why Chan TR is lower, it's really appropriate that Chan transition is scored lower because he's not connecting the elements together as clean as Plushenko.
Anyway, if Johnny Weir thought you're disrespecting then you are really disrespecting. =)