Sad news: Luger dies in crash | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sad news: Luger dies in crash

DesertRoad

Final Flight
It's the villifying of a group of engineers/maintainers/whatever that I disagree with.

Why? They could've designed a safer course, they could've included safety netting or padding. They didn't. Someone died, others injured. What am I missing here? If something I'm in charge of screws up, or parts of it could've been made safer, but people got injured or died in it, I would be responsible. Perhaps your sense of responsibility is different, in which case I see no point in arguing with you further on this.

jcoates

Medalist
So sad. My thoughts go out to his family, his teammates and his country. Glad the Opening Ceremony is being dedicated to him.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Why? They could've designed a safer course, they could've included safety netting or padding. They didn't. Someone died, others injured. What am I missing here? If something I'm in charge of screws up, or parts of it could've been made safer, but people got injured or died in it, I would be responsible. Perhaps your sense of responsibility is different, in which case I see no point in arguing with you further on this.

I agree, Someone should be held responsible and I hope his family gets a good lawyer and sues the hell out of the group that built this course. Also I think that the course should be SHUT DOWN. People have gotten hurt and someone has been killed. No one else should go down that course, no medal is worth dying for.

NBC television (U.S.) just had a big feature on the accident. They interviewed quite a few people involved in the sport.

One point that was made by several people was that by making the run super-challenging for the top ten in the World, it was way too dangerous for second tier sliders who also lacked adequate training time on the course.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I'm not disagreeing that they are responsible, I just don't see where you come off saying they did it on purpose

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I'm not disagreeing that they are responsible, I just don't see where you come off saying they did it on purpose

Then let me clear it up by saying that I never believed for a second anybody involved in this intended for someone to die. That would be absurd and counterproductive. It would make it possible for the competition to move to another course, negating the engineered home team advantage. No, a small group of people, not reflective of Canadians in general (it's silly I even have to say that) created a situation that benefited Canadian athletes unfairly, at the potential peril of other competitors. Something underhanded was done, and something horrible, though unintended, has happened. This happens all the time in the world, perpetrated by people who want to cut corners and skirt the rules on something, then create a disaster they themselves would not have wished for but could've prevented had they been more conscientious. It's not first degree murder, not at all, but that's cold comfort to the victim's loved ones.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Desert road :

Willfully , or not, you misunderstand me. The course was definitely designed to be "Cutting edge " whether , or how far a line has been crossed , is yet to be seen...from all I've read there's no doubt that it has been decided , by the sport, that future courses will not be so fast. In other words this course was seen as the upper limits (for now ) that should be attempted.

Without question , every team who has access to the course being used in a particular event has always taken advantage of their opportunity. That isn't debatable.

But no-one is shrugging this off. An extensive investigation into the accident is underway.It's extremely inappropriate and insulting to Canada and to the professionals who designed the course to be throwing terms like negligence about when the investigation is barely underway. If they miscalculated , I'm sure they'll be devastated, in fact they probably are already.Don't forget these people are intimately involved in the sport . As a Canadian , I feel sure we will take responsibility for any fault on our part that may eventually be pointed out , as anyone should.
Edit : " underhanded" ? That is another unconscionable slur. Have you heard the motto " Faster. Higher. Stronger." ? Where does that come from,I wonder ? That is what was being aimed for ..not reckless endangerment, advantage to be sure, but not unfair advantage.. God, I feel positively ill..

Tonichelle ; earlier,the CTV expert commentator for the sport , either a former slider or bobsledder, said that there was a freakish aspect to the accident in that , to quote him, "these courses are designed to hold the sledders in ", that occasionally you may see a sled come out, but he implied it was unheard of to see a sledder come out. I guess that explains the lack of barriers. The luge competition may be either cut back drastically, or canceled..we'll have to wait for answers.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I feel confident in using the term negligence because people have pointed out the course is dangerous before this accident happened. Multiple people, including athletes and coaches spoke up about the course. Not only that, but accidents, some of them resulting in injuries, happen a few times. Then we finally get to a fatal one which shuts down the course. That the course wasn't shut down or modified until things went from bad to worst case scenario is, to me, clearly negligence. Prior knowledge of potentially fatal result, nothing was done. Then we have the fatal result. It most certainly satisfies the claim of negligence in law, never mind internet discourse.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As Vancouver Olympics begin, NBC airs footage of fatal luge crash - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sho...Feed:+ShowTracker+(L.A.+Times+-+Show+Tracker)

Kumaritashvili's death forced NBC to scramble its coverage of an Olympiad that's already generated negative headlines for the $250 million the network expects to lose on the games, plus a last-minute shin injury that jeopardizes the medal quest of U.S. skier Lindsey Vonn.

not the best written article.

and I'm not a fan of them using footage of the man's death to boost their ratings.

and Georgia is marching in the opening ceremonies - http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,20797,26717188-952,00.html?from=public_rss

THIS article might have been better for you to reference in your original reply, DesertRose as to giving you some backing to your statement - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_lug_luger_dies
The danger of the Whistler track has been talked about for months — particularly after several countries, including the U.S., were upset with restrictions over access to the facility by nations other than Canada, some noting it could lead to a safety issue. Some sliders, especially those from small luge federations, saw the world's fastest track this week for the first time.
Where as the one you referenced just talked about the last week or so of training, this talks about months worth of talk, which is incredibly eye opening (and in all fairness this particular article was posted on yahoo news about 7 minutes ago lol)

however, the article also shows that the debate was not easily one sided
"It's a very rare situation," three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said, clearly shaken after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical workers.
Shortly before the accident, Hackl said he didn't believe the Whistler track was unsafe. "People have the opinion it is dangerous but the track crew does the best it can and they are working hard to make sure the track is in good shape and everyone is safe," he said. "My opinion is that it's not any more dangerous than anywhere else."

so, it's no wonder it wasn't looked at differently... sooner... no, it's not going to make a whole lot of difference to the luger's family.

VANOC confirms next steps with regard to investigation of death of Georgian luge athlete
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympi...-death-of-georgian-luge-athlete_274218jh.html
The next update from VANOC and the IOC on this tragic accident will be Saturday, February 13th at 11:00am at the Main Media Centre when the IOC and VANOC begin their regularly scheduled daily briefings

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
Guys, I noticed quite awhile ago that a certain poster who is posting in a particular disgusting manner in this thread today/tonight, is a poster who likes to stir things up. I've debated for about a month now on putting this poster on Ignore.

After the insulting and disgusting first posting by this...person earlier today, I did that very thing.

I suggest others do the same. Stop trying to talk some sense into him/her, not going to make a difference. Plus, not having to read it's vitriol will make following the Games here at GS far more enjoyable for all.

My condolences to this young man's Family, Friends and Teammates.

Kudos to the crowd at BC Place for giving the Georgian Team a Standing Ovation when they marched in earlier tonight. Can't imagine how hard that had to have been for them to do. :(

Phoenix347

Final Flight
My thoughts are with Nodar and his family. May he rest in peace. I hope they add safety features that will prevent this from happening again. Here's to hope that no one else leave the earth in these games. Here's to hope that no one is badly hurt in these game. I wish a happy and safe games to everyone!

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
My thoughts and prayers are with the family of this young man and his teammates. It's such a tragic start to such a wonderful event. I can't image what must have been going though the hearts and minds of the Georgian delegation. Kudos to them for continuing to pursue their Olympic dreams in memory of their teammate.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
For those interested in looking at this rationally... It was just reported on our news that following investigation by the coroner's on site evaluation and the luge federation assessment there was a degree of athlete error involved, a series of mistakes at various points in the run that were contributing factors. ..BUT.. the walls are being raised at that turn and the profile of the ice altered there,at the very least; perhaps further precautions will be taken. We'll hear more detail tomorrow AM . One of the things I heard was being discussed earlier, is the possibility of having the men enter the course at the ( lower ) women's level. And further alteration of the ice profile is another possibility.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
This was really a shocking news. My family and I were saying during the ceremony that we wish if this young man could have attended at least this opening ceremony. Even if he had injured by the crush and had missed the Olympics that he had worked so hard for, I would have wished if he were alive. I didn't know this person, but it's really sad that someone who is so young and healthy suddenly dies so unexpectedly.

I've always felt that luge is kind of a scary sport because they can't watch the front. But as I think of it, many of the other sports can be pretty dangerous, too.

I'd think that the other lugers not only may feel upset, but also may be uncomfortable using the same course.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
My condolences to Nodar's family and teammates. Since hearing this news I have been uneasy and sad.This young man so full of hope and pride in representing his country,
loses his life at the Games. It is just tragic and I can't wrap my head around it. I know nothing about luge racing so I won't comment on the sport or the condition of the track.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
From FoxNews.com - Olympic Track Didn't Cause Luger's Death - http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/13/luge-officials-delay-training/
Olympic officials decided late Friday night against any major changes in the track or any delays in competition and even doubled up on the schedule in the wake of the horrifying accident that claimed the life of a 21-year-old luger from the republic of Georgia.

Rogge said he was in contact with Kumaritashvili's family -- the slider's father is president of the Georgian luge federation and his cousin is the team's coach, VANOC officials said -- and the Georgian government. The remaining seven members of the Georgian Olympic delegation decided to stay in the games and dedicated their performances to their fallen teammate.

Tigger

Final Flight
The remaining Georgian Mens Luger has w/drawn from the event. He got to the Track this morning and just couldn't do it. :(