Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I dunno - while I see where you're coming from, Savchenko/Szolkowy are second by only seven tenths of a point AND the audience sorta thought they should be in first, and I think. I also think that S/S's program is very soft - what program is softer (even the more romantic programs this season seem to have a harder edge than that).

I had Shen and Zhao and the Germans tied after the SP, and that is pretty much what it is. I prefered the Germans, but I can understand why Shen and Zhao are ahead by a hair. Why Dube ans Davidson were held up like that but fellow Canadians Langois and Hay thrown under the bus is beyond me. I think Evora and Ludwig were also cheated a little.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
The protocols had Annabelle Langlois and Cody Hay quite low (mid-6s) on every element of the PCS. Not sure I agree w/ that but that was the difference. Full protocols aren't on there (isufs) yet but the TES and each individual PCS score are.

hongligl

Final Flight
I'm so happy for S/Z! That was perfect! Glad that S/S, P/T and Z/Z had a clean programs! So exciting to watch. K/S was good, but IMO should be behind P/T, at least close in score with P/T. P/T wozrobbed. D/D and M/T got a bit gifted IMO, but they skated beautifully other than the fall. Sorry for L/H, even they just did a double twist, D/D's triple twist was by no means spectaclar. The second american pair did a great job! All in all, a great competition. Wish S/Z go clean and skate their hearts out again in the LP, and for P/T get the marks they deserve!!!

ARipp42014

Medalist
I've watched the replay on nbcolympics.com (some watching for the 2nd or in S/Z's case, the 3rd time), here's what I think watching the replay....

First flight is on...
-Watching Shen & Zhao for the 3rd time still gives me goosebumps! So much love between them! They even played "Truly Madly Deeply" (the Cascada version) during K&C before the Estonians went on. How cute!
-The Estonians were okay. Pity on the fall on the throw and the step out. Like the lemon meringue pie color! Too bad Elena didn't go to pairs with her brother Ilja.
-The Polish... blah! Only two people can pull of that music: Mao Asada and Al Pacino in Scent Of A Woman.

Here's Flight #2...
-Caydee & Jeremy skated okay (2nd time watching since last night) but lacked that spark from Nationals.
-Germany's #2... WTF is Maylin wearing? This isn't a day at the beach. And people complained about lack of modesty in figure skating! At least Daniel was channeling Jeremy Abbott's SP costume. Performance was very blah!
-Vanessa & Yannick... great performance from them. Great height on their throw triple twist. Pity on Ness' double.

(ice break and here some Josee Chouinard at the stands)

Time for #3....
-Vera & Yuri.... whoever said that they have a bright future, you're right! They can really improve by Sochi! Love Vera's line.
-Amanda & Mark... liking it more the 2nd time around, especially without Scott and Sandra blabbing! Is it me or is Mark and Jeremy (Barrett) separated at birth? LOL
-Tinybelle & Cody... Love, love, love! I said that it was inflated. I will take it back. It was a well earned score but they still won't be a threat if they're doing a double twist instead of a triple. How D-squared scored ahead of them is beyond me.
-Ukrainian #2... massive blah! CARMEN?!?!! And a gosh awful version of that. NEXT!!!

Start of the 2nd half....
-Italians... they were okay. Nothing more or less. Kinda overmarked for a performance like that.
-K-squared (Kemp & King)... are they copying the other K-squared (the Kerrs) by using a Linkin Park song? It was good but not great. Cute at K&C!
-Swiss... 2nd time during the short we're hearing Queen. Attractive pair. Nice "Tano" twist! Much better that Kemp & King. Interesting they used "Gold digger" for K&C! A bit undermarked! Should've been higher than the Italians.

(watching Josee at the stands again... is it too late to hire JRo do that even though she's hired by CTV?)

Time for the Russian-Ukrainian sandwich to the music of "Bad Romance" (looking for Johnny Gaga to come out and skate during the warmup :laugh:)
-Masha & Max... :cry: for Max. Nice to see a kinder, gentler Masha. Oleg's giving a Babs stare. It's just odd to mess up on the SP. Ironically they're playing Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" during K&C. Hopefully they'll rebound tonite.
-Tatz & Stans and those electric blue costumes.... who do you think Tatiana's next partner should be? She's too talented to be held back like this. Haha on Ingo wearing the Ukraine jacket before switching it back to the German one.
-Yuko & Sasha... while I still think they were a little overmarked, they did deserve their 3rd place spot. They're skating a with a little more confidence now that they won Euros. Still not a fan of their LP and still hoping they don't win but we'll see what happens.

Time for the poutine, dim sum, radish cake, and sauerkraut finale!
-D-Squared (Dube & Davison)... I turned off my speakers because I will not hear "Requiem For A Dream". Can that music be banned just like US Weekly banned Speidi stories? MASSIVELY GIFTED!!! :scowl: I usually like them but come on.. how they are ahead of Tinybelle & Cody and Masha & Max is beyond me?
-Pang & Tong... ROBBED!!! :mad: Their scores should've been within tenths from Yuko & Sasha. One of my favorite performances of the night. Can anyone explain why they got a 1-point deduction? They finished on time!
-Zhang-squared... All tricks, no artistry! :sheesh: At least they're not in the top 3 right now so I'll accept that!
-Our favorite clowns (Ali & Robin)... what a finish to a great pairs competition. They are in par with Shen/Zhao so I'm not surprised how close the scores are. Very cute that Ali was wiping off Robin's cheek after she kisses him. Ingo looks good no matter which jacket he wears. Plus using Miley's "Party In The USA" is a great way to end the night. They should've renamed it "Party In Van BC".

It was great watching it all over again without any commentary!

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
The protocols had Annabelle Langlois and Cody Hay quite low (mid-6s) on every element of the PCS. Not sure I agree w/ that but that was the difference. Full protocols aren't on there (isufs) yet but the TES and each individual PCS score are.

You can see the protocols on the Vancouver site in real time for all skating events.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympi...sults/pairs-short-program_fsx020201t7-aq.html

Just click the + sign next to each pairs' names to expand the results.

Wish ISU would add this to their site next season.

inside edge

On the Ice
-D-Squared (Dube & Davison)... I turned off my speakers because I will not hear "Requiem For A Dream". Can that music be banned just like US Weekly banned Speidi stories? MASSIVELY GIFTED!!! :scowl: I usually like them but come on.. how they are ahead of Tinybelle & Cody and Masha & Max is beyond me?
-Pang & Tong... ROBBED!!! :mad: Their scores should've been within tenths from Yuko & Sasha. One of my favorite performances of the night. Can anyone explain why they got a 1-point deduction? They finished on time!
-Zhang-squared... All tricks, no artistry! :sheesh: At least they're not in the top 3 right now so I'll accept that!
-Our favorite clowns (Ali & Robin)... what a finish to a great pairs competition. They are in par with Shen/Zhao so I'm not surprised how close the scores are. Very cute that Ali was wiping off Robin's cheek after she kisses him. Ingo looks good no matter which jacket he wears. Plus using Miley's "Party In The USA" is a great way to end the night. They should've renamed it "Party In Van BC".

It was great watching it all over again without any commentary!

:yes::yes:

inside edge

On the Ice
nbc really messed up on the flags!

My top placements - shen & zhao
aliona & robin
pang & tong
kavaguti & smirnov

i generally really like dube & davison, but i feel they were severely overmarked. Langlois & hay skated beautifully & should have been placed higher than d&d.

I am jumping over the moon for amanda & mark, and hope they skate really well for the long proram. I think caydee & jeremy skated quite well despite that downgraded jump.

Can't wait to see the finals!

:yes::yes:

futureidol

On the Ice
Yes, I thought it was very sweet how Maria was hugging and comforting Maxim in the kiss and cry, he looked absolutely crushed. Vasiliev, on the other hand, looked none too pleased...

It was so sad. If you ever read about Maxim's back story and struggles it will break your heart. He grew up constantly training, living in a tiny room, eating terrible cafeteria food every day, and basically living like a monk in freezing Russia all because he had an Olympic dream and now it is all but crushed :(...

But as long as P/T & S/S do well in the FS I will be happy :) Sorry but I'm probably one of the only non S/Z fans out there, they've had so many Olympic chances and their FS is... not my cup of tea. I love S/S's "Out of Africa" sooo much and they've been my #1 for years. Also love P/T's expression and grace. S/Z while technically flawless are a little robotic and boring in their choreography/artistry for my liking. As for K/S, I like some things about them, but their FS annoys me and I enjoyed their programs from last season much more.

futureidol

On the Ice

So ripped off!!! They were brilliant and their artistry and grace moved me to tears. I know this will sound strange, but when a team can make me forget I'm watching Pairs skating it means they were brilliant in my book. The elements flowed together seamlessly and the chroreography was gorgeous, their expression was unmatched. They should have had monster PCSs. That was the only performance I wanted to watch again immediately. They were sublime.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Sorry but I'm probably one of the only non S/Z fans out there, they've had so many Olympic chances and their FS is... not my cup of tea.
I'm not a fan of their skating either, never was. But if they're flawless again today, and others succumb to nerves and make mistakes... well, what can I do other than accept the result?
"Out of Africa" is a pure magic to me.

miki88

Medalist
It was so sad. If you ever read about Maxim's back story and struggles it will break your heart. He grew up constantly training, living in a tiny room, eating terrible cafeteria food every day, and basically living like a monk in freezing Russia all because he had an Olympic dream and now it is all but crushed :(...

But as long as P/T & S/S do well in the FS I will be happy :) Sorry but I'm probably one of the only non S/Z fans out there, they've had so many Olympic chances and their FS is... not my cup of tea. I love S/S's "Out of Africa" sooo much and they've been my #1 for years. Also love P/T's expression and grace. S/Z while technically flawless are a little robotic and boring in their choreography/artistry for my liking. As for K/S, I like some things about them, but their FS annoys me and I enjoyed their programs from last season much more.

Actually I'm kinda torn. S/Z is the sentimental favorite and I want them to win gold because a Chinese team has never won before and they have worked so hard all these years. But I have a soft spot for S/S and K/S. S/S program is just so smooth and lovely to watch. I like K/S primarily because of Yuko. She definitely has presence on the ice and fun to watch.

Frenchdude

Rinkside
So ripped off!!! They were brilliant and their artistry and grace moved me to tears. I know this will sound strange, but when a team can make me forget I'm watching Pairs skating it means they were brilliant in my book. The elements flowed together seamlessly and the chroreography was gorgeous, their expression was unmatched. They should have had monster PCSs. That was the only performance I wanted to watch again immediately. They were sublime.

Yes, it's quite unfortunate. That 3 pts cushion Yuko and Alex have over them might mean the difference the podium and 4th again. :cry: That 1 pt deduction for time was really really unfortunate.

zandor

On the Ice
sorry but i'm probably one of the only non s/z fans out there, they've had so many olympic chances and their fs is... Not my cup of tea. I love s/s's "out of africa" sooo much and they've been my #1 for years. Also love p/t's expression and grace. S/z while technically flawless are a little robotic and boring in their choreography/artistry for my liking.

ita!

futureidol

On the Ice
LOL Dick Button was just complaining on NBC about the hideous catch foot positions in the death spirals. He believes the CoP has destroyed this element. I agree. I'd rather see a basic death spiral done fast and beautifully, than these hideous contortions that have become popular.

ARipp42014

Medalist
LOL Dick Button was just complaining on NBC about the hideous catch foot positions in the death spirals. He believes the CoP has destroyed this element. I agree. I'd rather see a basic death spiral done fast and beautifully, than these hideous contortions that have become popular.

Agree! Give me an "easier" but prettier basic death spiral than the ugh I've seen last night.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
LOL Dick Button was just complaining on NBC about the hideous catch foot positions in the death spirals. He believes the CoP has destroyed this element. I agree. I'd rather see a basic death spiral done fast and beautifully, than these hideous contortions that have become popular

Totally agree! Even my non-skating husband said it was ugly.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I really like S/S "out of africa" program. It's pure magic when it's on. I don't care for S/Z program at all. It's like business as usual. There is no new idea, no newness, nothing that makes me root for them.
K/S "the blue danube" is another of my favorite. I love that waltz piece. Their lift, their line, spins, etc... are both intricate and different. I rather watch them than the run of the mill Shen/Zhao.