Short and Long Track Speed Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short and Long Track Speed Skating

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree w/you here. It's usually the Koreans who make the races exciting with their crazy moves and spectacular skating skills. But as usual NBC gives only credit to Ohno and completely ignores the Koreans in the race.

Maybe the Koreans were lucky in this case that NBC decided not to make an issue of their "Keystone Cops" imitation.
I mean how ridiculous was it that they bungled that race ?

I don't watch enough of this sport to really know the rules but I was sure Apollo was bumped and knocked of his stride in the final - just as I am sure I thought Apollo bumped another skater in one of his preliminary races.

Hopefully the officials get it right most of the time but I would not be surprised if there is favoritism and politics in this exciting and crazy sport.

Last edited:

Figure88

On the Ice
Maybe the Koreans were lucky in this case that NBC decided not to make an issue of their "Keystone Cops" immitation.
I mean how ridiculous was it that they bungled that race ?

Uh have ever watched short track? I can tell you it gets no where to this excitement level when there are no Koreans in a race and I've watched A LOT of races.

I don't watch enough of this sport to really know the rules but I was sure Apollo was bumped and knocked of his stride in the final - just as I am sure I thought Apollo bumped another skater in one of his preliminary races.

Hopefully the officials get it right most of the time but I would not be surprised if there is favoritism and politics in this exciting and crazy sport

If you don't watch short track, you have no idea what's go on.

And yeah, Apolo actually cheated once again, when he pushed Lee Jung Su in the quarter-final heats. Lee lost his balance and almost fell. Apolo should have been called for interference and DQ'd, and never have qualified for the 1500m finals. But as usual, the judges sided with Apolo reminiscent of what happened at '02.

When is this guy going to retire? I respect Canadian racers 1000% more than Apolo. At least, they run clean races.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
If you don't watch short track, you have no idea what's go on.

And yeah, Apolo actually cheated once again, when he pushed Lee Jung Su in the semi-final heats. He almost lost his balance and was about to fall. He should have been called for interference and DQ'd, and never have qualified for the 1500m finals. But as usual, the judges sided with Apolo reminiscent of what happened at '02.

I admitted I am no expert and only watch every four years. But even that much is enough to recognize the colossal mistake made by a Korean skater at the end of the race.
He cost his country two medals and handed two medals on a silver platter to USA.

I think he is the story of that race and not Apollo.

Figure88

On the Ice
I admitted I am no expert and only watch every four years. But even that much is enough to recognize the colossal mistake made by a Korean skater at the end of the race.
He cost his country two medals and handed two medals on a silver platter to USA.

I think he is the story of that race and not Apollo.

True, it was idiotic move by Lee Ho-Suk to pass the other Korean cuz he got greedy and didn't want to settle for bronze. But that does not happen in most races. Actually, it's the first time I've seen anything like that kind happen.

It is certainly not the "nature" of the race as the NBC makes it out to be.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I follow the sport and Ohno is infamous to non-american skaters for his ungentlemanly behavior during competitions.
However, I don't think it is only Ohno who cheats. Every skater does their best to win and it's judges' role to detect it and penalize it properly. Ohno's Korean coach admitted in an interview (i think it was 2~3 years ago) that he taught his skaters on cheating skills and the only skater he recognized for clean technique was Hyunsoo Ahn. Therefore, I guess others cheat, too.

I think Ohno is a great skater. Whether he's lucky (or cheating) or not, it's never easy to earn so many medals. If there's anything i don't like about him, however, is his arrogance. Whenever he makes mistakes or does not well, he claims he has been impeded when it is not exactly true. When he gets a medal by luck (by wrong judgment or others' mistakes), he doesn't simply appreciate it, but goes further saying it was a rightful judgement or he deserves more (i.e. gold medal this time).

Thank god the Korean team is entangled in factional strife. It's really sad as a short track skating fan that I cannot see Ahn (the true genius and the victim of the stupidity of political power game), but Ohno will be able to set up the record without much difficulty.

"Good luck" to all the athletes who deserve to medal ;)

I also miss Ahn! I was surprised that he wasn't here but then I read about the internal conflict in Korean team. So unfortunate because he was the best and kinda cute too.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I find it funny how the American media is all over Apolo Ohno b/c through a stroke of dumb luck he captured a silver medal, the Koreans should have gotten the 1-2-3 sweep b/c their skating skills are superior to Apolo's. and let's not forget he only has TWO olympic gold medals out of the 6 he has earned so far.

There was no confusion Mr. Ohno, contrary to what you think all the Koreans outskated you and were able to pass you because they know you're slow and have poor skating skills, Lee Ho-Suk got greedy and made a careless error.

Dissing Apolo's historic accomplishments because he only has 2 Olympic golds out of his six? He's automatically less of a competitor because he has only 2 Olympic golds? Then I guess that makes Michelle Kwan less of a figure skater because she does not have any Olympic golds to her name. It's the same argument. BTW, wonbinfan86, where are YOUR SIX OLYMPIC MEDALS? Oh, that's right, you don't have any!

So Apolo is "slow and has poor skating skills." No athlete gets to his level because they have poor speed and skills. If he became the most decorated US Winter Olympian of all time, then maybe I could surpass his record with my basic skating skills and even slower speed!!

the most basic of wikipedia searches

Wikipedia certainly has a reputation as the most accurate and reliable source ever!

If you don't like Apolo, don't watch Short Track, it's as simple as that. It's amazing, you don't watch the man's sport, you won't see so much of him--what an incredible idea!!

:rolleye:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
So Apolo is "slow and has poor skating skills." No athlete gets to his level because they have poor speed and skills. If he became the most decorated US Winter Olympian of all time,

I believe Apollo is also the most decorated short track skater in Olympic history. Do any other short track skaters have 6 Olympic medals?

Figure88

On the Ice
If you don't like Apolo, don't watch Short Track, it's as simple as that. It's amazing, you don't watch the man's sport, you won't see so much of him--what an incredible idea!!

There a TON of reasons people watch short track besides to follow Apolo. I certainly do not follow the sport to watch him. In fact, I cringe whenever I see him race because of the type of shenanigans he tries to pull on other skaters, particularly Korean skaters because judges just seem to gives him the green light to do that. BTW, you should also look into how he won the medals before you talk about how great he is. His only good race was the 500m at Torino, and it still looked as if he false started there.

I believe Apollo is also the most decorated short track skater in Olympic history. Do any other short track skaters have 6 Olympic medals?

Only 2 gold, and he won the medals just because he's the only racer to have participated in 3 Olympics, not necessarily through superior talent.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

It's a little depressing to think that I need to stop watching a sport because one doesn't like one man involved in it. You know, of the hundreds of people who participate. I have no animosity towards him as I've seen him skate only a couple times, but to dismiss an entire sport (as you suggest) seems like an absurd idea.

janetfan

Match Penalty
There a TON of reasons people watch short track besides to follow Apolo.

Only 2 gold, and he won the medals just because he's the only racer to have participated in 3 Olympics, not necessarily through superior talent.

I agree there are plenty of reasons to watch short track and I find it an entertaining sport.

I read that Apollo is lucky, and other more negative things about him.
I am no expert in short track but this much I know. Apollo could have retired and he returned because he loves the sport and Vancouver is close to his home and heart.

He is a very popular athlete in a country that does not really care about his sport. He doesn't need the money and I admit I respect him for training so hard and competing one last time in Vancouver.

I think in a demanding sport like short track making three Olympic teams is quite an accomplishment. Winning medals now in three different Olympics is also quite an accomplishment.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
BTW, wonbinfan86, where are YOUR SIX OLYMPIC MEDALS? Oh, that's right, you don't have any!

Your ad hominem argument won't change the fact that only 2/6 of the olympic medals were gold, Ahn Hyun Soo earned 3 gold medals in one olympics WITHOUT having to rely on bad calls / DQs. Any olympian will tell you that he/she dreams of winning a GOLD medal not settle for 2nd or 3rd best, just because consolation prizes are given out at the olympics doesn't change the fact that any individual or team in ANY SPORT strives to be at the TOP. My argument is simply that people in the media should not be making dilettante remarks like "Apolo Ohno is the best of all the time just because his medal count is the highest ever". Yes this is a pretty good achievement but the so-called GOAT or BEST needs to do a LOT more to earn that distinction. Ahn Hyun-Soo has TWENTY gold medals at the world championships and ALL OF THEM were earned fair and square with no DQs/Referee intervention, Apolo has 9 but 7-8 of them were b/c of flopping, cheating, DQS, and bad calls.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Does anyone else think that Jeremy Wotherspoon looks an awful lot like Wentworth Miller (lead from the TV show Prison Break)?

Tigger

Final Flight
SILVER FOR CANADA!!!

And she won it on her Birthday too!! Talk about giving yourself a Birthday Gift!! :biggrin:

Not sure what I enjoyed more earlier...Shani's reaction after his race and win or Stephan Colbert's. He was literally jumping up and down in the stands. :biggrin:

Buzzz

Final Flight
I am so sad for Jeremy! This is possibly his last olympics and just did not have what it takes to go return home with a medal. Happy for Shani Davies and a fantastic win for him. :biggrin:

prettykeys

Medalist
Long-track and short-track speedskating are quite different, and I don't think they should have been combined into one thread. :eek:hwell: But in any case, Ahn Hyun-su and Jin Sun-yu were two of the best short-track skaters I have ever seen (along with Meng Wang, who is so incredibly dominant, her rivals usually don't even get close to her.) I'm quite disappointed in some of the stories I heard about Lee Ho-suk and his faction wrangling a spot on the Olympic team from Ahn. He was indeed careless and greedy in not wanting to settle for bronze in the potential podium sweep and knocking out his teammate in his quest.

As for long track, has anyone heard of the ice conditions in Vancouver? I've read somewhere that most of the wins are coming from slower than expected performances, and that the ice quality has something to do with it...?