Short and Long Track Speed Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Short and Long Track Speed Skating

Figure88

On the Ice
Congratulations to Shani for winning the gold in the 1000m and Tae Bum as well for the silver along with the gold in the 500m! Also, congratulations to Sang Hwa for winning the gold in the 500m!

Last edited:

sunrock

Rinkside
As a Korean American this is my feeling: It is almost inborn for Koreans to hate Apolo. It's scary to believe an entire country can be against one person who is not even evil. He is only an athlete, but Koreans hate him like he's imperial Japan. When I see Koreans get so angry at Apolo and attack with racist remarks I get embarrassed. I never knew my relatives could be so racist!:disapp:

It's pathetic to read Korean people here attack Apolo by saying untruthful remarks. I cannot say if poor sportsmanship is a true or false attribute of Apolo, but poor skating skills? No talent? Even as a Korean, I know that is NOT TRUE. He is a great short track skater!

I think it's all right to believe Apolo's comments are unsportsmanlike or one does not enjoy his skating, but to make false and biased statements such as he has poor skating skills makes the aggressor look ridiculous.

Back to speed skating

Wang Meng is unstoppable!!!!!!!!! She is truly one of the greatest women in this sport! No one else can match her speed!

Sven Kramer was also the favorite and succeeded. Good job to him. Most of the favorites have delivered. Wang Meng, Sven Kramer, Shani Davis. Hehe, the only times the favorites haven't delivered are when a Korean surprisingly wins. IE, Mo Tae Bum, Lee Sang Hwa

Mo Tae Bum is the newest young star in Korea now! His nickname is Motor Bum.:laugh: Already one gold and one silver! This is unexpected and incredible games for him. In one interview, he said he would be so happy to have one medal of each color! All that is left is bronze in the 1500m.

Really unfortunate results for Jenny Wolf and Wang Beixing. They have been going back and forth as the top 500m female speed skater. Lee Sang Hwa came from beneath their shadows to take the gold! Lee Sang Hwa is a cutie and is garnering a lot of attention in Korea now. I predict a lot of endorsements and commercial opportunities for her when she comes home.

Korean short track males are impressive, but the females not so much. Maybe they should pick up speed skating instead. Lee Sang Hwa has no competition in Korea so she trains with the male speed skaters. Maybe after her gold medal, young short track girls will change their mind and turn to speed skating.

RELAYS ARE GOING TO BE SO EXCITING! Actually, I dread the competition between Korea and USA because it's going to blow up Korea, whether a good or bad result. I'm more excited for the womens relay. China with Wang Meng is going to be crazy hard to beat. I think the other countries are fighting for silver.

Figure88

On the Ice
As a Korean American this is my feeling: It is almost inborn for Koreans to hate Apolo. It's scary to believe an entire country can be against one person who is not even evil. He is only an athlete, but Koreans hate him like he's imperial Japan. When I see Koreans get so angry at Apolo and attack with racist remarks I get embarrassed. I never knew my relatives could be so racist!:disapp:

No, many people don't like Apolo because of his lack of sportsmanship on the ice. I've seen him purposely slap (Yes, SLAP!), punch, push Korean skaters during a race. It's like a full frontal assault. That's the way he wins his gold medals. He does it as he nears the finish line, very much like what happened the quarterfinal heats on Sat. to Lee Jung Su (Apolo's probably targetting him b/c he's #1 skater in this distance) and the skater is so shocked that they lose their pace and Apolo ends up first place. Short track skating is not a contact sport and he should be immediately DQ'd for this, but judges just tend to look the other way.

Sorry, I doubt that you're Korean? Maybe a troll?

Last edited:

sunrock

Rinkside
Sorry, I doubt that you're Korean? Maybe a troll?
Oh please. ootgijima. I say something negative about Korea so I must not be Korean??

Ask me something in Korean then and I'll answer for you. Or I can romanticize it too. I could try replying in Korean but my typing is really slow. plus i don't know the Korean keyboard by heart!

Just because I don't fall down over and worship everything and all things that are Korean doesn't mean I'm not. There are many, many things about Korea I love, but obsessive arguments about Apolo Ohno are not one of them!

What do you want to know? Back in the day I listened to Jinusean, Diva, Baby VOX, SES, FinkL, HOT, Tashannie, Sechskies, GOD, Shinhwa, Cool, Uptown, UP, Roo'ra and so on. Now I'm over Kpop and more into indie Krock or electro bands like Clazziquai, HUM, Casker..

I used to watch dramas back in the day like all the ones with Ryu Shi Won (hahaha) All About Eve, Last Match, Model, ByuleunNaeGaeseumEh my favorite! RIP Choi Jin Shil :( Now I have no time to watch dramas and they're all the same story anyways. A rich chaebol is mean at first falls in love with a quirky poor girl and turns into a nice guy who wants to live a normal life.

Last edited:
...the so-called GOAT or BEST

A little bit off topic, but I have a question about speed skating lingo. Does "goat" mean "the best?" In other sports the "goat" refers to the person whose bonehead play causes his team to lose. ("Here comes the field goal kicker onto the field. Will he be the hero or the goat?")

sunrock

Rinkside
A little bit off topic, but I have a question about speed skating lingo. Does "goat" mean "the best?" In other sports the "goat" refers to the person whose bonehead play causes his team to lose. ("Here comes the field goal kicker onto the field. Will he be the hero or the goat?")
Greatest Of All Time

So Charlie Brown should be happy that he is the Greatest of All Time

(But Snoopy was a better skater)

Last edited by a moderator:

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
CONGRATULATIONS LEE JUNG-SU FOR YOUR SECOND GOLD MEDAL FOR THE SHORT TRACK 1000M :love::clap: AND TO LEE HO-SUK FOR THE SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(as usual Apolo gave ZERO credit to the Koreans in the post-race NBC interview, he kept on making excuses and said that he should have won the race even though he was clearly OUTCLASSED, such a despicable "athlete". :disapp:)

MissIzzy

Final Flight
:disagree:
That was an objectionable DQ. You shouldn't stoke bad feelings.

If that shove to the chest wasn't against the rules, it should have been. Much harder, or it she'd been less skilled, and the Chinese skater could have fallen over(and then Canada might have won!)

Last edited:

Figure88

On the Ice
If that shove to the chest wasn't against the rules, it should have been. Much harder, or it she'd been less skilled, and the Chinese skater could have fallen over(and then Canada might have won!)

That's ridiculous. There was no shove against the chest. NBC did like 3 or 4 slo-mo of the whole scene. The NBC commentator said that Korean skater's arm (which was at most outstretched) really didn't make contact with the Chinese skater. The commentator said that what actually happened was that the Chinese skater stepped on the skate of the Korean skater and due to that contact, the Chinese skater lost her speed. In any case, if that's considered interference, Apolo should have been immediately DQ'd for pushing Jung Su in the heats which was more intentional.

That said, S. Korea got the gold medal from 10,000m from a DQ, so I don't think they should make that big of a deal out of this.

Last edited:

newvie

Rinkside
Oh, well, it was funny to see different versions of analysis from each side.
TV commentator says it "might" be the blades, the referees "notifies" it's the physical contact, a chinese skater "guess" there was a foul and the Korean who made the foul "cries out" she didn't do anything wrong.

That's the sport.

Figure88

On the Ice
Oh, well, it was funny to see different versions of analysis from each side.
TV commentator says it "might" be the blades, the referees "notifies" it's the physical contact, a chinese skater "guess" there was a foul and the Korean who made the foul "cries out" she didn't do anything wrong.

That's the sport.

The NBC commentator said there was definite contact with the blades--ie the Chinese skater stepped on Min Jung's blade; they also presented several different angles of Min-Jung's arm movements and it showed she hardly touched the Chinese skater. Chinese skaters are known to use those type of strong arm tactics. It's no coincidence that Wang Meng was DQ'd for elbowing Reutter in the 1500m. That's how the Chinese skaters race. Maybe the Korean skaters were fighting back?

Last edited:

pshla

Rinkside
The NBC commentator said there was definite contact with the blades--ie the Chinese skater stepped on Min Jung's blade; they also presented several different angles of Min-Jung's arm movements and it showed she hardly touched the Chinese skater. Chinese skaters are known to use those type of strong arm tactics. It's no coincidence that Wang Meng was DQ'd for elbowing Reutter in the 1500m. That's how the Chinese skaters race. Maybe the Korean skaters were fighting back?

Don't want to revive a dead topic but I find your "that's how the Chinese skaters race" comment very offensive. If anything, Korean skaters generally have the reputation for having "arm movements". The official reason for the DQ was "impedance", which is harder for amateurs to judge than pushing/shoving. Heck, most of the time, it's a 50/50 call. I feel sorry for the Koreans, but it really could have gone either way.

chronos13

Rinkside
Why so much hate on this topic? I love how all the controversies are always from short track.

Anyways, I agree that the DQ in the women's relay was questionable. I think that the Korean ladies should have taken it.

Then again, the Korean skater won the 10,000m with a DQ from Sven Kramer, who was amazing but didn't cross over. It must suck to lose the gold, let alone any other medal because he listened to his coach, who was dead wrong about the crossovers. But he made a huge mistake, so the DQ was justified I believe, along with every sports analysts. I find it impressive how the Lee Seung Hoon is skating in the long track team for only seven months and won silver and gold after he failed to make the national short track team.

As for Apollo, he is a great skater, but when he wins his medals he should be more gracious to his competitors and not say things like he would have had this happened or had he not pushed me. It just gives the Koreans more reason to hate him. I miss Ahn Hyun Soo. He is undoubtedly the greatest skater in the history of the sport.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night. It'll be exciting for short track.

Figure88

On the Ice
Don't want to revive a dead topic but I find your "that's how the Chinese skaters race" comment very offensive. If anything, Korean skaters generally have the reputation for having "arm movements". The official reason for the DQ was "impedance", which is harder for amateurs to judge than pushing/shoving. Heck, most of the time, it's a 50/50 call. I feel sorry for the Koreans, but it really could have gone either way.

Korean racers definitely DO NOT have a reputation for arm movements. You see more of that among Chinese racers. It's obvious you know nothing of short track. In fact, Koreans make as LITTLE bodily contact as possible because of unwarranted DQ calls. That's why you see most of them passing on the outside (which is extremely hard to do) rather than the inside so as to avoid contact with the racers. BTW, an outside pass is a signature Korean move. Certain racers like Wang MEng are known for her agressive arm movements. In fact, Meng is the one who was DQ'd for the elbow punch to Reutter's gut that ended up in the pile up in the 1500m recently. No surprise.

Sorry, it definitely could not have gone the other way. The only reason the Chinese racer lost her pace is because her skates clicked with Min Jung's. That's not the Korean racers fault. I suggest you take a look at the slo-mo, if you don't believe me or some news articles on the internet that come to the same conclusion.

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Well, it seems Apolo can get disqualified for tapping someone just like everyone else. Meanwhile Joannie's ex-boyfriend gets a bronze!
Looking forward to the relay tonight. If nothing else, the visuals should be fun.

i love to skate

Medalist
Canada wins gold in the relay too!! 4 Medals again today - 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze. We are now in the lead for gold medals with TEN! Way to go Canada!