On the Ice
what a wonderful competition!!

Congrats to all the medalists,,,,

Hope to see P/T and S/S in the worlds next month

katymay

Medalist
Pang/Tong's FS
hosted on a chinese website. Oh! the wonders of babelfish :D

the quality isn't brilliant but until IOC stops blocking vids on youtube...*shakes fist*

now all i need to do is find the rest of them!

Try the torrent sites, I don't want to list them here, but if you can wait a day or so, most of this stuff shows up. UNFORTUNATELY, it is the US coverage so far which I don't want.

Note to the paris next year: Please please pick better music. Lordy, I'm falling asleep. So many programs are sooooo slow. My goodness, these slow piano sonatas...groan.
Also, in my opinion BOTH American pairs were underscored. No, they are not top five, but I would have had them 6th and 9th.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Finally saw it!

Though technically P/T were better on the night there is something magic with S/Z. Their presentation, choreography, the feeling they managed to pass on to me was something special. I agree with the ES commentators in the sense that they liked it more as well, regardless of the mistakes.

Great skating for P/T, completely deserving of the highest mark of the night. Was insanely happy to see the two up there!

Very disappointed by the conduct of S/S during the medal ceremony. While I understand disappointment, and they blew it themselves, it was very awkward to see the Chinese waving in the end after the anthem and them standing there very crushed and sullen. Suck it up, you got third and again as the ES guys said, considering everything that is it for them at the moment.

Anyway, loved, loved the LPs, great night.

chiocciola

On the Ice
Savchenko has been too arrogant lately... She thought they would get a gold, I was sure they were not going to coz at the moment Chinese are way better and consistent... at the Europeans she said in an interview that they were certain to get a gold even in case of falling... Come on! That's a good lesson for her! Such behaviour reminds me of Federer crying, instead of crowd supporting the winner we always get evrb calming Roger... its' like what? SORRY TO WIN?

Both American Teams were splendid!!! They skated their best and more. Evora/Ladwiq had a nice 'dance-on-ice' program which I am all for and landed in top 10. Denny/Barrett proved they belong in the mix. As one commentor put it: Shen/Zhou have been a Pairs Team for 18 years, and Denny/Barrett have been a Team for18 months, Depending on who decides to go to Worlds, both American Teams should move up in the Rankings and maybe, just maybe claim 3 US Teams for next season.

Most other teams hit the demons on sxs Triples.

btw, For a brief moment on camera after the event was over, Moscvina looked as though she was laying the law down on poor Kavaguti. Any ideas what was said. He made as many mistakes as she did.

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
After missing the short programs as it was in the early morning, and finding they showed nothing but S/Z on Finnish tv i decided to get up at least for the last group for the free. Meant to get up in time for D/D but at least i got to watch the final group. Iam so glad i did as its so hard to miss. I think the judging of this group seemed quite fair. The top russian's were quite disappointing, though ive never thought they were as good as the top 3. S/Z are my favourites and were very good though i think P/T had the skate of the night, you know the skate that had the magic. S/S were good too,but placed where they deserved. They should be happy with bronze its quite any achievement. Though somehow they did not look happy to me on the podium.Iam glad S/Z finally got that gold. Cannot wait for the men's short though will have to miss some as unfortunately Plushenko and Lambiel skate early on.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel immensely sad for Savchenko/Szolkowy. Their LP is far superior IMO to all the other competitors' LPs, but unfortunately, they didn't skate it to the best of their ability and they needed to in this field. Still, an Olympic bronze is an achievement many great skaters don't have and they should be happy with their effort. Even with flaws, seeing their Out of Africa LP is a huge treat to me . . . their most beautiful program EVER and the most beautiful program of the night to me. :):love:

Pang/Tong were seriously "on", more so than I've ever seen them, and they deserved to win the LP. I am so happy for them! Olympic silver medalists! Their LP was my 2nd favorite of the night.

Shen/Zhao overcame the pressure and despite the 1 scary lift, they proved their worth as Olympic champions! Zhao really fought for that 2nd 2Axel! Their SP clinched them the gold! Olympic champions, at last, and a beautiful close to their eligible career! I'm very pleased for them! My 3rd favorite LP of the night.

The medal podium was right I think!

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's been perhaps four years since I watched the pairs last time!

I liked the German pair very much. They were most polished and their jumps and spins looked very good. I also liked the overall chores and the program. It was beautiful and had a very nice story.

I am sorry that the Russian pairs had mistakes. The music started nicely and towards the end a bit questionable. The performance was joyful except for the falls. Did Yuko get injured a bit when she fell?
There was one part where the man almost stopped on the ice while doing the lift. There also was one spin that was slow. But other than these and the missed jumps, their performance looked very nice. The dancing part and arms and stretch were nice, but not as polished as the German's. I think that they have a lot of growth potential and will medal at the next time!

Re the Chinese pair that came in 5th, the speed and spins were not so good. The choreos and presentation did not seem very polished.

Congrats to all the meadlists!

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Just saw the free of S/Z!! Yes, they did sort of a botched lift...but covered it well... It didn't disrupt the flow...and they were clearly ahead of the other Chinese in terms of choreography, interpretation, and musicality. Even with those slight mistakes, they deserved to win. I liked P/T but there's something about Pang that's a bit robotic and stiff... Tong is much more of a musical skater... I have no problem with their winning the long, but am glad that S/Z kept their first position in the end.

Just saw the free of S/Z!! Yes, they did sort of a botched lift...but covered it well... It didn't disrupt the flow...and they were clearly ahead of the other Chinese in terms of choreography, interpretation, and musicality. Even with those slight mistakes, they deserved to win. I liked P/T but there's something about Pang that's a bit robotic and stiff... Tong is much more of a musical skater... I have no problem with their winning the long, but am glad that S/Z kept their first position in the end.
That's an opinion which I do not agree with.

Pang and Tong were not robotic but fully dancing the Impossible Dream. I think you missed the essence of that program.

cornell08

Final Flight
I agree. Pang and Tong, unlike Shen & Zhao, were not reserved! They put everything into that program with joy and did not hold back anything. Even with their short program deficit I thought they should have been marked 4 or more points higher in the freeskate. Also, as much as I'm moved by S/Z's story, its about what you put on the ice not the background story...and its not like they need the gold medals, they're already rock stars. Pang and Tong finally came out of their compatriots shadows in a big way but I don't think they were done justice in the scores/podium. (And they were undermarked in the SP, even with the time deduction).

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Sorry about that.... but I watched them perform, and I was not as impressed as you were Joe, apparently. But they did skate the best they ever did overall. Again, speaking from someone who "got" the essence of many performances, I must have missed it somehow....but maybe after a few more reruns... or not.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just learned that Yuko is 28! OMG, she looks like 15 perhaps because of her baby face and the skinny body (38kg, 157cm). I hope that she could continue and remain competitive until 32. Would it be possible? I see ice dancers in their 30s, but not many ladies, men, or pairs in their 30s. But there are numerous olympians in their 30s in other sports that may be physically even more demanding.

figuristka

Medalist
I just learned that Yuko is 28! OMG, she looks like 15 perhaps because of her baby face and the skinny body (38kg, 157cm). I hope that she could continue and remain competitive until 32. Would it be possible? I see ice dancers in their 30s, but not many ladies, men, or pairs in their 30s. But there are numerous olympians in their 30s in other sports that may be physically even more demanding.

Well look at the ages of Shen and Zhao ;)

piano18 thanks for the link to the russian tv, i just clicked on it when reading and it just so happened that they must have been repeating pairs and i got to see D/D before the final group after all.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my DVD player ate my recording of the event! ACK! I didn't get to watch the final flight! anyone wanna burn me a copy of theirs and send it to me? please? *begs*

Buzzz

Final Flight

I hope she stays in until 2014 as well. I love this pairs team and think there is a lot more skating in them. This was a learning experience and hopefully next time she will not be so tentative. I hope S/S stays in as well because I believe they too has more to contribute to this sport. :)