Olympic Commentators | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic Commentators

jcoates

Medalist
I think she'd be different with a co-commentator not bullying her into submission ala Dick. Man could not and would not let her have an opinion without talking down to her.

That is true. She was more assertive circa 81-83 and then became "classic Peggy". Towards the end, after Dick's head injury, she reasserted herself, especially when she was paired with Carruthers.

magicalwords

On the Ice
I usually don't like Sandra Bezic commenting but I liked her this time (Pairs).
I do miss Uncle Dick! Sometimes his comments about flexibility and pointing the toes and stuff get annoying, but now it kinda feels empty without that :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gosh, I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

But... I just "can't help loving that man"!

it became extremely noticable once Kurt Browning joined the team for me. Dick would try to pull the same crap with Kurt and Kurt - while respectful - would restate his opinion and put Dick in his place reminding him that he had his own opinion. First time Kurt did that I stood up and cheered lol

tollerfan

Rinkside
Rod Black(Canadian coverage) is annoying the crap out of me. I hope they have someone else for the other events.

Am I the only one who likes Scott and Sandra? They love skating and skaters, and they each have insights that add to my understanding of what's going on. They've both been rather quieter this year, but if Scott wants to be enthusiastic, he's certainly earned that right. Sandra is not just a former skater but a choreographer, so her commentary on details of people's programs can be very helpful. For example, she pointed out that the positioning of S and S's jump in their layout made the jump automatically chancy. Someone mentioned her accent. I think a lot of Canadians have that crisp enunciation. It might depend on where in Canada she comes from. To my ear it's very pleasant, so I guess it's all a matter of taste.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Liz Manley is doing pretty good tonight with David. However, Rod Black has just gotta go!!!!!!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who likes Scott and Sandra?

I don't like Sandra, I can't get over her overly mean/biased commentary during the pro competitions, or her high and mighty attitude during 2002 with the anti-Russian bias and how she sided with NBC and let Scott hung Scott out to dry when he came back the next night and apologised for letting his emotion get the better of him during the LPs...

that being said I love listening to Scott's commentary, grunts, groans, and all!

JohnNewEngland

Spectator
I don't like Sandra, I can't get over her overly mean/biased commentary during the pro competitions, or her high and mighty attitude during 2002 with the anti-Russian bias and how she sided with NBC and let Scott hung Scott out to dry when he came back the next night and apologised for letting his emotion get the better of him during the LPs...

that being said I love listening to Scott's commentary, grunts, groans, and all!

I agree. She's obviously very knowledgeable and experienced, but there's something about her voice that I just dislike. That, and the way she dominates the commentating.

On another note, does anyone know why Dorothy Hamill isn't a commentator? I think she'd be awesome.

Tigger

Final Flight
And David looked HOT.

The Male CTV Commentators that wear suits on air, are wearing Armani. They make everyone look good, but when you're already pretty good looking, they enhance that factor to the Power of 10000!!! :biggrin:

Sandra Bezic's a snob and if you guys think she's bad here? At least you didn't have to put up w/her and her elite, snobbish comments during Battle of the Blades. Talk about biased towards your favourites...Yikes!!

Good thing I'm not a drinker, otherwise w/all of Rod's "Elvis slobbering"/mentions, I'd be pretty plastered right now. ;)

Was very pleased w/Liz tonight and she did really well too. David's been wonderful too. Looking forward to seeing how Victor and Jen do later on during the Games.

nghtvsn

Rinkside
I get the US team of Hammond, Bezic and Hamilton. My thoughts are that this team is a good one. I don't mind listening to them and they seem to be pretty restrained this time. I hear more of the music than the commentators prepping every jump or whatever.

Hamilton can get pretty annoying to me but I think he's done fine so far. I wish nice to hear that sigh he let out while Abbott was in one of his spins. I like the honest expression. I'm not of fan of him getting choked up so easily though. I thought he was getting that way during some performance. Maybe it was after Shen and Zhao.

Bezic I've grown to like over the years. I like how blunt she's been so far. I think she said that "He's done or It's gone" or something like that when Hammond brought up that Abbott might be out of contention already. Good stuff.

Hammond is filler but he needs to stop bringing up results that skaters had many years ago. TMI.

Dick Button is nice to hear but I'm tired of his fireside chats. I'm glad he's not on the commentating team.

SkatingNana

Spectator
another vote for Rod's gotta go. Every time he opens his mouth he says something completely inappropriate or brings up tired old dirt.

Mybag

Spectator
I like Sandra, probably mostly due to her beautiful choreograph. I somehow enjoy her accent as well, though i am not a native English speaker~

kitkat28

Rinkside
I enjoyed the BBC ones, Robin Cousins does a pretty decent commentary.

Yeah Robin Cousins is pretty good; not so sure about Sue Barker! I know she's not a skater, but when a skaters doubles out she says that they'll get a mandatory deduction for not doing a triple and it's like, please learn the judging system.

taikwan

On the Ice
Hate the team of S/S - Scott is a cheerleader not a commentator and a biased one at that. He's like a drooling puppy. Sandra is supremely annoying and has nothing to offer. I find them offensive in their tandem condescending dismissal of Johnny. I miss Dick but agree - on those interviews with Costa he came across as needing a rocking chair. But he has so much history and instant recall. Even though Peggy was a pushover, I still miss her comments about lyricism, artistry. I miss how Terry Gannon actually knew something about the topic he was hosting.

jennyszy

Rinkside
Living in switzerland, i get french TV. They are a team of 3:
Annick Dumont (ex-gaillaguet you know the 2002 scandal french president's ex-wife, she changed her surname right after that!!!),
nelson monfort (a french sportscommentator who does just about every sport from track and field to skating and still can't count jump revolutions...
and wait for it

Philippe Candeloro who just has a blast and loves to joke...

the team is entertaining for non alert tv watchers but can be quite annoying as talk non stop and candeloro loves to mention how much he loves pretty women...
in 2006 after japan won the women's gold he said "she is going to deserve her bowl of rice tonight"... he was then mais to apologize...

figuristka

Medalist
Living in Finland i have seen practically no skating. Showed S/Z and finally tonight the Finnish male skater and Plushenko. No idea what they say as don't understand much Finnish. i always liked Tracy Wilson as a commentator , Barb Underhill has been quite good too. I don't like any commentator's to be too biased, Asked family about ctv and heard Pellieter sounds alittle anti Plushenko.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
I like Tracy Wilson, Susie Wynne and Paul Wylie. They don't talk over the programs as much (although Scott & Sandra have improved some on that). Sandra is condescending, and Scott screeches and makes bathroom noises. Good thing I wasn't playing the "Olympic Drinking Game" during the men's short program, or I would have been hung over today....