My Impressions of Skate Canada | Golden Skate

My Impressions of Skate Canada

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was my first skating competition and I enjoyed every minute of it. I also had the privilege of meeting some of the board members. It is so neat to be able to meet the people that you have corresponded with for a while.

To take in the full flavor of the competition, I attended the practices from Thursday on. Most of the time I got up from 5-5:30 am and was at the rink by 7:30 and would stay until 10:00 pm or whenever the competition was over. I would get to bed by 12:00 and then start the whole routine over the next day.

I thought watching the practices would make the competition boring but it was just as exciting. It was also interesting watching the coaches with their skaters. The biggest surprise was watching Yukina Ota's practice and when she performed her short program, you wouldn't have known that that was what she had practiced. She was just wonderful in her short program with a few surprises. Another surprise was watching Evgeni practice. Laura, Princess Leppard, I thought of you many times while watching him. Evgeni had a very rough practice. He fell a couple of times and I was surprised to see that he would blush when he did. I love his short program. It is to flamenco music and he does such a wonderful job. I will say that I hope they make some adjustments to the music because just when he gets into the footwork (flamenco style) the music changes. It didn't seem to flow real smooth. I know it's early and by Worlds they will have it all fine-tuned. During the short program I noticed that he was skating very cautiously.

It was such a joy for me to watch Sasha Cohen practice. She is really very serious about her skating and I see such a big improvement in her this year. Prior to her practice she came out to the boards and just looked around the rink. Some of the fans rushed over to get pictures and autographs and Sasha very politely told them no, not right now she was concentrating. She stood there for at least 20-30 minutes. I wasn't very far away from her and off to the side so I was able to get a couple of pictures without bothering her. Some of the fans just don't realize that this is the skaters work time and some fans would call them over to the boards and ask for pictures and autographs. I noticed that many of the skaters don't make eye contact just so they can get their practice time in. Evgeni had finished his practice and started to leave when some of the fans asked for autographs and pictures. He was doing this for quite a bit of time when Mishin yelled at him across the rink to get going. It was kind of funny to watch Evgeni stop what he was doing and leave immediately.

Shen & Zhao were also a pleasure to watch practice. They really work hard and they have beautiful programs. They have such style and grace. I am just not pleased that they didn't win the gold.

One of the funny things that happened was prior to the ladies short program, they announced that they were having technical difficulties and would have to fix the problem before the competition started. The ladies started looking for their coats and jumping around to stay warm. Coaches were running every which way looking for their skater's coats. Tatiana being the mother hen took her fur coat off and put it on Sasha. There Sasha was walking around with Tatiana's coat on. It was so funny.

The WOW skate of the competition was by Kevin Van Der Perren. He did a triple, triple, triple in his long program. The crowd went wild. Kevin is coached by Nikoli Morosov and as Kevin skated by Nikoli, he was yelling at Kevin, I'm not sure was he was saying but Nikoli had a big smile on his face and after that when Kevin would jump, Nikoli was jumping right along with him. It was so hard to watch Kevin and Nikoli but it was worth it trying to.

I know that we have had many threads on bad costumes but you are not going to believe Chait and Sakhnovski's costumes. They are clowns and I can't really describe their costumes, you will have to see them to believe it. I think they will win the prize for the worst. I see there is a thread already on costumes. Also, I didn’t think that they were well received at all by the fans. I am surprised that this team trains with Tatiana. Her dancers are for the most part dressed elegantly so I am wondering why these awful costumes.

One of my most wonderful memories of Skate Canada was when Alexei came to the competition. He was there to make a formal announcement of his retirement from eligible skating. He skated his Memorial program, which I don't think has any jumps in it but he skated it with such passion. After reading some other reports today, apparently there are jumps, I was so busy trying to get pictures and watch I did miss some of the program. Then he skated his Racing program and it was so sad to watch this program because he couldn't keep up the speed let alone do the jumps. For me, it was kind of heartbreaking to see him leave or forced to leave competitive skating. He did say he has lots of plans so I hope he will be happy with whatever he chooses to do.

I just wanted to share some of my impressions of the event with you.

Dee

windspirit

On the Ice
Dee, thanks so much for the wonderful report.

Do you have any idea why Evgeni was falling? Was it accidental, or maybe it looked like his knee was bothering him? I don't want to, but I think I'm beginning to worry about it. :( It would be SUCH a shame if an injury got yet another skater... :cry: I'm still not over what happened to Yags.

Anyway, thanks again. I loved the story about the fur, too!

Thanks so much, Windspirit - I felt I was there reading your views on Skate Canada. I, too, had a first time competition experience in DC Worlds, and for me, it is the only way to see the competitions.

After what you said about Kevin vdP, I would have loved to have seen that skate. However, I am sure ABC TV will not show Kevin, so I am going to Dortmund to see him - No choice! I suspect he will become the 'Flavor of the Month' soon.

Joe

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TV Coverage

Hi Joe, if they don't show Van Der Perran skate, I am going to be really upset, it was just awesome. I was also sorry to see that he didn't get a medal. I am not sure I understand the COP but in my humble opinion, he should have gotten a medal. Takeshi & Jeff both fell on at least one if not two jumps. I guess it had to do with Van Der Perran short program and his standing in that comp.

Windspirit, I think Evgeni's falls had to do with his injury but it didn't happen when it counted during the competition so that was good. I hope you are going to love his short program, especially the footwork sequence. I am not sure about his long program. I am not saying that I didn't like it, I am saying that I was busy taking pictures and always had it in the back of my mind that it would be on TV.

The other skater I forgot to mention was Emanuel. eek: He is so thin and I wonder if he is too thin. He has such an exotic look. Oops back to skating. His programs are filled with such interesting and fantastic footwork. I just wished he could be more consistent.

Dee:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Dee I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your comments on Skate Canada. Thanks for sharing!

Dee - Last year, ABC did Skate Canada on ESPN and showed 5 ladies and an excerpt of the Men.

As much as Kevin is now on my 'special' list, I still want to see Buttle's best skate to date. Oh, when will we get Cable?

Joe

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Dee. Up at 5:00 am and watching skating until 10:00 pm, sounds like heaven to me! :love:

Nan

pairsfan

On the Ice
Joe,

Last year ABC showed the top 4 men. The Americans in 5th & 6th place didn't make the cut. With Kevin in 5th place overall, he probably won't be on their broadcast. He did make a huge comeback after the short so you never know

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Put Kevin on TV!!!

Sometimes they show the best skates and Kevin's believe me was the best skate of the night. 3/4 of the way into his program people would go absolutely crazy when he landed his jump. I was one of those crazy people. I am going to keep my fingers and toes crossed that they show his lp.

Dee

Dee, that was a great report! I love reading details like that, especially impressions of the practice sessions. I got to attend some of the practices for Skate America last year, and I agree that it makes the performances all the more exciting. I wish you could have got a picture of Sasha in the big bear coat!

Mathman

Last edited:

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
pairsfan said:
Joe,

Last year ABC showed the top 4 men. The Americans in 5th & 6th place didn't make the cut. With Kevin in 5th place overall, he probably won't be on their broadcast. He did make a huge comeback after the short so you never know

The LP? Delmore was shown along with the four men in front of him, on ABC.

In the SP- Ryan Bradley got shown (and the bronze medalist Timchenko was not shown)

pairsfan

On the Ice
Sorry. I wasn't talking about ESPN's SP coverage. You're right about ABC. They showed the top 5 not the top 4. Next time I won't watch the whole tape on fast forward. Derrick was on before their outdoor intro piece. They also showed the top 4 ladies + Jenny Kirk. So that looks better for Kevin. Sorry for the mistake!

I guess I got my GPs mixed up but I distinctly remember seeing one on TV which showed only a brief showing of the man who won but gave the placings of all the others.

Anyone remember that or am I delusional? I've deluzed before.:D

Joe

pairsfan

On the Ice
Was it Four Continents? That always gets the worst coverage. Of course if the USFSA would send their top singles skaters....

MasterF

Rinkside
TV Coverage

Sorry people but they ususally only show the top contenders going into the long. So if Kevin was 10th or 11th going into the long he won't be shown. I also suspect that Jennifer's huge comeback won't be seen as she is in the bottom half going into the long. We will have to settle for Elena's bad showing

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I guess I got my GPs mixed up but I distinctly remember seeing one on TV which showed only a brief showing of the man who won but gave the placings of all the others.

Anyone remember that or am I delusional? I've deluzed before.:D

Joe
This year at Skate America Scott Smith came in 3rd in the LP, which brought him up from 7th to 5th place in the standings, but his LP wasn't televised. For whatever reason, Min Zhang's 5th place skate was shown instead. Smith was mentioned when the final standings were shown.