Pairs Event Wrap-Up: Your thoughts on the podium! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Event Wrap-Up: Your thoughts on the podium!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm so happy that Shen & Zhao won and Pang & Tong got silver!!!!!!!!! I would have been so upset if Kavaguti & Smirnov had won or even medalled with that performance.. I was afraid that was going to happen, because they're Russian and all, but I'm so impressed that the judges didn't hold them up. Pang & Tong were SO WONDERFUL, but Shen & Zhao have better PCS, IMO, and they were my emotional favourites as well!!! I'm also happy for the Germans although they were def. not at their best. I wish the Canadian teams had skated better. For the record, I think Sale & Pelletier's version of Love Story was MUCH better than Mukhortova & Trankov's.
I totally agree!
Bad news is NBC's terrible coverage.
Should we expect anymore from them? Yup terrible coverage.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Fabulous!!! I was really hoping S/Z would be golden.

I'm sorry that S/S didn't skate better. You could tell they were disappointed. I thought their program was lacking a little in expression after some of the mistakes. P/T had an amazing skate. Thought the judging was mostly great and the top 3 teams were definitely right.

Dh and I were debating: how many times or since when has their been no Russian team on the podium? I said, "I guarantee they know at Golden Skate."

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
I thought some of the scores were high, but the placements were correct, so who cares?

It was killing me at the end when S&Z did not know yet that they had won. I kept yelling at the screen, "You won, guys! You won!" And then the emotion when they realized- so wonderful.

Any truth to the rumor that Morozov is going to retire so Volosozhar can find a new partner? Who would she skate with?

cornell08

Final Flight
I was most captivated by Pang & Tong and Evora & Ladwig. They both skated with heart and held nothing back (more in the long for Pang and Tong, short for E/L).

E & L's long was a little less effective than at Nationals, but I love still how they chose the less overdone cuts of Rachmaninoff's 2nd (and my favorite sections actually). They are the first team since Ina & Zimmerman that I feel has the IT factor, just need to work on their jumps. I wasn't surprised at all by their personal best by 15+ pts, it was well earned! Also, Evora gets the most mention for her grace and extention but I think Ladwig is an incredibly elegant, expressive skater as well (I also like how he's understated but not bland.....Baldwin and Barrett I am looking at you). Their short was also magical-- I think Love Actually was an inspired choice. I hope this gives them confidence, and that they don't retire too soon!

Also agree with whoever said music makes a huge difference-- Dream the Impossible Dream sounded a little cheesy on paper in the pre-season but man was that a great choice and interpretation.
P&T have always been the best dancers, I'm not at all surprised Tong started in ice dancing-- the mans got wicked latin dance moves.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
I thought some of the scores were high, but the placements were correct, so who cares?

Yes, I feel the same. For some reason, very few of the skaters' elements received negative GOEs, and the scores were through the roof... Shen and Zhao got a season's best?! Lots of 120+ scores for rougher skates... But I generally felt that they ranked the teams in the proper order, and that's all that matters in the end. The podium pretty much picked itself... Even the judges couldn't have fouled that one up, I don't think!

It was killing me at the end when S&Z did not know yet that they had won. I kept yelling at the screen, "You won, guys! You won!" And then the emotion when they realized- so wonderful.

Me, too! How did NBC know the result so much sooner than S/Z? I was wondering why it was taking so long for them to know they had won! Her scream was adorable. :biggrin:

I was most captivated by Pang & Tong and Evora & Ladwig. They both skated with heart and held nothing back (more in the long for Pang and Tong, short for E/L).

E & L's long was a little less effective than at Nationals, but I love still how they chose the less overdone cuts of Rachmaninoff's 2nd (and my favorite sections actually). They are the first team since Ina & Zimmerman that I feel has the IT factor, just need to work on their jumps. I wasn't surprised at all by their personal best by 15+ pts, it was well earned! Also, Evora gets the most mention for her grace and extention but I think Ladwig is an incredibly elegant, expressive skater as well (I also like how he's understated but not bland.....Baldwin and Barrett I am looking at you). Their short was also magical-- I think Love Actually was an inspired choice. I hope this gives them confidence, and that they don't retire too soon!

Also agree with whoever said music makes a huge difference-- Dream the Impossible Dream sounded a little cheesy on paper in the pre-season but man was that a great choice and interpretation.
P&T have always been the best dancers, I'm not at all surprised Tong started in ice dancing-- the mans got wicked latin dance moves.

It's interesting to read the different opinions here... I never saw a real "it-factor" from Ina/Zimmerman (didn't think their styles matched so well), and I pretty much have the COMPLETE opposite opinion on Evora and Ladwig as you do. :laugh: Their lack of refinement really stands out to me compared to some of the top teams. But I happy for them to be able to have fun out there... Amanda said that they were going to treat their performance as a show since they had nothing to lose, and it showed... They looked relaxed and happy. Placement wise, this is the worst the US pairs have done perhaps ever, and that was disappointing to me. But, I guess it was somewhat expected, and the field really was extra strong here.

Last edited:

jupiterjiang

Spectator

Any truth to the rumor that Morozov is going to retire so Volosozhar can find a new partner? Who would she skate with?

maybe zhang hao...i wish

Big Deal

Final Flight
It is exactly my dream podium!
If you were asked me before the Oly I should wish the same order.
Concerning what happened, every segment was judged properly ( such refreshing!!!!, hope they continue that.)
I just was worried about the scores of Kavaguti-Smirnov in the Sp, having a feeling judges wants their chance keep alive in the case of leaders were making mistakes...