The Brian Joubert Good Vibes thread: From the Ashes a Hero Shall Rise | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Brian Joubert Good Vibes thread: From the Ashes a Hero Shall Rise

seniorita

Record Breaker
LOL!!! Ok but I think B can have two patients no??
And make room for me, after tonight I might need her help too...:rolleye:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
For the record, I am not now nor have I ever been a sports psychologist. Or a clinical psychologist, for that matter. Danale is a friend; friends are always welcome!

Isn't what Schiele wrote hilarious? I told her it should be shared and I'm glad other people are getting to enjoy it! :rock:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Brian just has to remember that some of the greatest skaters of all time - considered by most anyway - never placed on an Olympic podium. Go out and skate an LP that means something to him and his fans, and forget the rest. Now is the time to skate for himself.

schiele

Final Flight
Brian just has to remember that some of the greatest skaters of all time - considered by most anyway - never placed on an Olympic podium. Go out and skate an LP that means something to him and his fans, and forget the rest. Now is the time to skate for himself.
Yep, I hope there is someone wise around him who will tell him exactly that tonight..
is it not true that brian will withdraw? is it?
There is no other offical statement on this apart from one single article so we don't think so.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
is it not true that brian will withdraw? is it?

In interviews he has stated that he wants the federation to do a test berween him and the three other guys - he believes that he isn't in a position to automaticaly go to worlds and he doesn't want to take another deserving skater's spot.

yangjie

On the Ice
Yep, I hope there is someone wise around him who will tell him exactly that tonight..

There is no other offical statement on this apart from one single article so we don't think so.

thanks, brain GO! we want to see you quads tomorrow!

In interviews he has stated that he wants the federation to do a test berween him and the three other guys - he believes that he isn't in a position to automaticaly go to worlds and he doesn't want to take another deserving skater's spot.

oh really? so he might not go to the worlds? oh my got..

Oh, how I hate hearing about Brian's misery. He is too sensitive for this sport. He needs to channel Kurt Browning and FORGET TUESDAY NIGHT and show what he's made of... do it for la France!!! But if he's really already giving away his World's spot, he might as well w/d now. :cry: This is too sad!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although I´m not a fan I felt really sad watching his unfortunate sp and wish him better luck with the freeskate today!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oh, how I hate hearing about Brian's misery. He is too sensitive for this sport. He needs to channel Kurt Browning and FORGET TUESDAY NIGHT and show what he's made of... do it for la France!!! But if he's really already giving away his World's spot, he might as well w/d now. :cry: This is too sad!

But that's what makes him so appealing! My psychological analysis of Brian Joubert (including some astrological insight because I share the same birthday as him!):

Brian is a stubborn, private, and independent person. He is a perfectionist and very detail-oriented, but because of this he holds himself to very high standards indeed. Due to the fact that he is so hard on himself, he is likely insecure, which you can definitely sense when he performs if he makes a mistake. The fact that he is a great skater, hard worker, good looking, and appears to be a good person is irrelevant - he wants to be better, he wants to be the best. The problem for Brian though is that he internalizes this pressure because he knows ragging on himself will just make others annoyed with him and feel like he is fishing for compliments. He is too proud and stubborn to admit defeat, and therefore rarely asks for help or seeks assistance from others. Due to his critical nature, the criticisms from other people (coaches, fans, etc) cut him like a knife. He is a traditional man, but not a simple one. An earth sign, he is very practical and straight-forward, he sees things in black and white terms and thus, whatever is not a success is considered a failure. He is shy and intellectual deep down, but puts on a confident exterior to hide this side of himself. He hates ignorance and stupidity and views himself as displaying these traits when he messes up. Poor guy.

That's just my two cents.

Layfan

Record Breaker
But that's what makes him so appealing! My psychological analysis of Brian Joubert (including some astrological insight because I share the same birthday as him!):

Brian is a stubborn, private, and independent person. He is a perfectionist and very detail-oriented, but because of this he holds himself to very high standards indeed. Due to the fact that he is so hard on himself, he is likely insecure, which you can definitely sense when he performs if he makes a mistake. The fact that he is a great skater, hard worker, good looking, and appears to be a good person is irrelevant - he wants to be better, he wants to be the best. The problem for Brian though is that he internalizes this pressure because he knows ragging on himself will just make others annoyed with him and feel like he is fishing for compliments. He is too proud and stubborn to admit defeat, and therefore rarely asks for help or seeks assistance from others. Due to his critical nature, the criticisms from other people (coaches, fans, etc) cut him like a knife. He is a traditional man, but not a simple one. An earth sign, he is very practical and straight-forward, he sees things in black and white terms and thus, whatever is not a success is considered a failure. He is shy and intellectual deep down, but puts on a confident exterior to hide this side of himself. He hates ignorance and stupidity and views himself as displaying these traits when he messes up. Poor guy.

That's just my two cents.

So does he have any fun skating at all?? Geez, that's what I think his problem is. wound up too tight. A lot of angst, not a lot of joy. It's true, Silver, it makes him rather intriguing. Brian: If you possibly can, have FUN TONIGHT. It's the Olympics. You're there. It's probably your last Olympic performance. Your fans love you. Skate for them. Skate for your fans. Let people see the joy.

I know, easier said than done....

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So does he have any fun skating at all?? Geez, that's what I think his problem is. wound up too tight. A lot of angst, not a lot of joy. It's true, Silver, it makes him rather intriguing. Brian: If you possibly can, have FUN TONIGHT. It's the Olympics. You're there. It's probably your last Olympic performance. Your fans love you. Skate for them. Skate for your fans. Let people see the joy.

I know, easier said than done....

If I had to guess, not much fun, no, maybe a little. I wanna give the poor guy a hug he's so adorable! But I mean, he is very high strung, you can tell, and even when he does well, he never seems really excited. It's tough being a professional athlete though, he probably feels like having fun is going against what he's working for. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I hope he has fun tonight!

And as for not being able to live up to his potential, I don't think it is that he can't, it's just that he has several times in the past, and every time he reaches his goals, he probably sets new higher ones, so it's a viscous cycle.

Just have fun and skate your heart out tonight Brian! Whatever the results are you are a great skater and we all love you!

Layfan

Record Breaker
If I had to guess, not much fun, no, maybe a little. I wanna give the poor guy a hug he's so adorable! But I mean, he is very high strung, you can tell, and even when he does well, he never seems really excited. It's tough being a professional athlete though, he probably feels like having fun is going against what he's working for. Maybe I'm wrong though, and I hope he has fun tonight!

And as for not being able to live up to his potential, I don't think it is that he can't, it's just that he has several times in the past, and every time he reaches his goals, he probably sets new higher ones, so it's a viscous cycle.

Just have fun and skate your heart out tonight Brian! Whatever the results are you are a great skater and we all love you!

It's true. With such an incredible amount of time and money involved, it must be incredibly difficult to find that balance between enjoyment and taking things seriously. I sympathize with Brian. I really do.

jennylovskt

Medalist
He is too sensitive for this sport.

Male figure skaters are in general more sensitive than the guys in other sports. I think sensitivity is an essential character for a good figure skater. And that in turn is actually the source of their charming.

I just think that Brian didn't have a strong team around him. He needs unconditional love, care, and nurture, like Tarasova to Yagudin. Now he trusts nobody except his mother.:cry:

Well, if my good wishes could help him tonight, I will send him tens of thousands of times good wishes. Be strong, Brian! It's not the end of the world. You have your youth, your good health, your love of the sport, your fans all around the world. Tomorrow is another day. Nothing to lose. Go for it tonight!!!!!:love::agree:

schiele

Final Flight
Male figure skaters are in general more sensitive than the guys in other sports. I think sensitivity is an essential character for a good figure skater. And that in turn is actually the source of their charming.

I just think that Brian didn't have a strong team around him. He needs unconditional love, care, and nurture, like Tarasova to Yagudin. Now he trusts nobody except his mother.:cry:

Well, if my good wishes could help him tonight, I will send him tens of thousands of times good wishes. Be strong, Brian! It's not the end of the world. You have your youth, your good health, your love of the sport, your fans all around the world. Tomorrow is another day. Nothing to lose. Go for it tonight!!!!!:love::agree:

Wow, this thread started to really live up it to its title and the deserved appreciation for Brian..
Im so afraid to jinx further, I cannot properly cheer so Ill continue to keep a low profile..

ilmiom

Rinkside
ALLEZ BRIAN!
It's gonna be your day today. No matter what other people think, I believe you're going to get a medal. Maybe I'm crazy but I will believe till the very end.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I refuse to believe all of this bad news, or that Brian is considering withdrawing or even giving up worlds (I have got my money on him winning the world title next month to redeem himself-I am calling it right now. Besides the French Federation has three spots already so everyone INCLUDING Brian will be accomedated. So there is no need for him to do that.) I have never known Brian to give up, in the face of bad times. So why would he give up now? He can only go up, and he wil he just needs TO BELIEVE IN HIMSELF!!! and he will succeed. I truly believe that he will rise to the occasion and get a medal tonight, the signs all point to it, the draw for the long program, others have had this dream, it WILL happen!!!! I have been playing Le Marselle all day long!!!!!

Brian is not the type of person to give up, so I have no idea where those articles are coming from that he would even consider withdrawing or not going to worlds, that is probably just French media BS.

VIVE LE BRIAN JOUBERT BELIEVE!!!!!

schiele

Final Flight
I dont think its about giving up, I think he feels ashamed he didnt live up to the expectations of his country and now if he is sent to worlds, ppl will think he is being given gifts despite his failure. WHich is total BS considering how consistent the other French guys are.
Btw, I just read Joubert didnt have a good practice today, his success rate with axels and quads were about half n half. I hope this does not confirm my suspicion that he is langiushing in self doubt and bringing himself down.. :cry: I want ot be proven right that I am indeed a pessimist..