The Brian Joubert Good Vibes thread: From the Ashes a Hero Shall Rise | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Brian Joubert Good Vibes thread: From the Ashes a Hero Shall Rise

Medusa

Record Breaker
I found this mea culpa article of Brian this morning. The google translator is doing a terrible job, maybe someone would like to help
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/103126/joubert-je-nai-pas-assez-travaille/
He talks about some personal issue dating back to two years that changed his approach and personality, he admits not training properly and talks about possiblity of not being there in Torino for worlds if I understand it correctly (impossible with the trasnlator.)
Great start to my morning! :frown::frown:

Yikes. He sounds as if he needs some help.

schiele

Final Flight
Yikes. He sounds as if he needs some help.
Unfortunately the public crucifixion by DG and the media makes it really hard for someone who is showing signs of self doubt. i agree with some of the solutions suggested like I already said but the approach is downright shameful. I read some new statements, which I dont wanna share here, it just gets more and more depressing. Instead I wanna move on along the lines B suggested.
Hey, this was supposed to be a thread to cheer up those of us who like Brian, and it's become decidedly non-cheerful! I am therefore going to go with some nostalgia and cuteness in the hopes of putting us back on track and restoring the cosmic balance in Brian favor. :)

So, to get to the point: an old fluff I found on Youtube - isn't that adorable?
B, I remember this fluff. Isnt it the cutest thing ever? It just goes to show that despite the contrary potrayal by some of the media, he is a simple and sweet guy! Ahh, good times.
Brian pls ignore all the public bashing and terrorising and just skate for yourself tonight!

JohnNewEngland

Spectator
Joubert has been one of the skaters I've most enjoyed watching over the years. I feel that when he's on, and prepared, he's one of the few best in the world. I hope that perhaps this slip in the short program will free him up to give the performance of his life in the free skate.

Medusa

Record Breaker
It just goes to show that despite the contrary potrayal by some of the media, he is a simple and sweet guy!

I don't think he is simple. I think he is actually rather complicated, and maybe he has a hard time admitting that to himself. /swtichingoffarmchairpsychologist

schiele

Final Flight
I don't think he is simple. I think he is actually rather complicated, and maybe he has a hard time admitting that to himself. /swtichingoffarmchairpsychologist

Hahaha, Medusa the Supershrink, I didnt mean that in his personal life, I meant competitively. He does not play any big games..

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think a lot of people have a very warped image of Brian based on his skating and occasional interviews in a language he's not fluent in. Like Medusa, I believe there is a lot beneath the surface that he doesn't want to reveal. There was a discussion a while ago - maybe on FSU - in which someone noted that Brian could get a lot of great PR for himself if he were more forthcoming about his background and private life, and he clearly chooses to be judged based on what he does on the ice instead. I respect his decision; he's obviously a very private person. I can't imagine a "Be Good Brian Joubert" type thing (not that there is anything wrong with what Johnny is doing).

(as the two of you know, my degree really is in psychology :biggrin:)

Medusa

Record Breaker
Hahaha, Medusa the Supershrink, I didnt mean that in his personal life, I meant competitively. He does not play any big games..

Actually, he does. All that calculating before the LP, never really just going out and doing his thing... His strong words in interviews (that I normally don't mind). I never had the feeling that it's much about the skating with him these past years, it's about winning. For some people that works, Lysacek is also all about the winning part. But I don't think it works for Joubert.

Buttercup said:
There was a discussion a while ago - maybe on FSU - in which someone noted that Brian could get a lot of great PR for himself if he were more forthcoming about his background and private life, and he clearly chooses to be judged based on what he does on the ice instead. I respect his decision; he's obviously a very private person.
I actually started that back then. I have a different username there, so you can't know it was me.

I respect his decision, too. But now things are clearly not working for him, hasn't been for some while. Brian seems to be insanely stubborn, as an insanely stubborn person myself, I get that he hasn't / doesn't talk/ed about his personal problems. It's like admitting weakness, and there is nothing worse in the entire world.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
He is the last one to profit from any of those games. :) He really didn't sound good in the article. But he wants to continue with Depouilly. Maybe he should really take some time off, or should have done so a year or two ago.

Yes K, I am also thinking a break from everything including his everyday life could be good. I am sensing a burn-out and actually has been thinking so for a while now, that was one of the main reasons I was quite pessimistic about his chances for a medal here.
Med, I know the calculating stuff but as B sometime ago made me realize is that was mostly a strategy JCS has come up with, I think if it was for Brian, he simply would've gone out and done his thing (and maybe fell on his face but still..). I still think he is a simple competitor, his problem is just that he wants it too much and is too focused on winning. It works for Lysacek cos he has a good team around him that probably balances him and he has a different mind set probably but you're right, unfortunately it is not working for Brian. :disapp:
PS: All the gang seems to be here right now.. :biggrin: We're lacking S but Im sure she's doing her bit for Plushy somewhere. :laugh:

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
It works for Lysacek cos he has a good team around him that probably balances him and he has a different mind set probably but you're right, unfortunately it is not working for Brian.
Lysacek is like a robot. He does what he is told. When people told him to skate to Carmen, he didin't even know what it was. When they tell him to dress like a black Christmas tree, he does it. People tell him that transitions are more important than Quad - he gives up Quad and X-games-talk. The tell him where to flail his arms, where to twizzle, what music he has to need, how he has to dress, how he has to act...

Joubert could never ever do that. He is stubborn, he is not artistic, but he has a certain vision of how he wants to skate, what he wants to skate to... He is actually the complete opposite to Lysacek, and not only in a good way. If he doesn't want something, he just shuts himself off.

Danale

On the Ice
Hey, this was supposed to be a thread to cheer up those of us who like Brian, and it's become decidedly non-cheerful! I am therefore going to go with some nostalgia and cuteness in the hopes of putting us back on track and restoring the cosmic balance in Brian favor. :)

So, to get to the point: an old fluff I found on Youtube - isn't that adorable?

BC, your cause is just and has cuteness written all over it (nothing beats a handsome bulldog - one in particular comes to mind ;)).
Clearly, though, it's not working :biggrin:
I'm not a phycologist (going to one, if it counts for something :laugh:) and I try to practice: judge not lest ye be judged. Whatever issues he has, I feel for him and hope he find a way to overcome them. And I hope he makes himself proud tonight.

schiele

Final Flight
Lysacek is like a robot. He does what he is told. When people told him to skate to Carmen, he didin't even know what it was. When they tell him to dress like a black Christmas tree, he does it. People tell him that transitions are more important than Quad - he gives up Quad and X-games-talk. The tell him where to flail his arms, where to twizzle, what music he has to need, how he has to dress, how he has to act...

Joubert could never ever do that. He is stubborn, he is not artistic, but he has a certain vision of how he wants to skate, what he wants to skate to... He is actually the complete opposite to Lysacek, and not only in a good way. If he doesn't want something, he just shuts himself off.

Med, I definetely see a Supershrink in you! :)
I share your view about Lysacek and in a minute you'll get a PM from me with a small enactment I created about his decision process while talking to B. I think you might get a few laughs or a few smiles at least.
I don't know Brian personally and i have no real idea what kinda person he is off the ice and behind cameras. Nevertheless, your impression with stubbornness is something I have observed independently as well. While it makes one of the main reasons why I love him (not following the cookie cutter COP skater approach but doing his thing and what he perceives as right for him), I also think it creates problems. I suspected he might be shutting himself if being pushed too much, which is why I found it very suprising that DG's latest statement suggests that he has givne in to DG's demands about his training conditions. This led me to the conclusion that a) he is in self-doubt (realistically) or b) he is facing up to some of his problems (optimistically).. Now since I am a pessimist by nature, I am going with option a) as the explanation.. But again, these are all speculations based on our perceptions and not facts.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I agree with you schiele.

Buttercup is right - this is about cheering Brian up - I'll follow your example!

Here's one of my favourite (I really should learn how to spell that word!) videos:

http://vbox7.com/play:c485087b

It'll take a while to load, I'm sorry but it's the only one I found. It's worth it though.

Brian is a true champion, it's just the Olys come at the wrong time. Whatever happens, he'll remain my number 1 skater.
Like I already said though, as Brian has nothing to loose then he should just go out there, have fun, take all the risks he's ever dreamed of taking. He won't get a medal, but maybe he'll be remebered like Surya Bonaly is.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Such strange, bitter words Comradka - you make it sound like Evan would have been the perfect little E. German boy. :rolleye:

Good luck to Brian tonight and hope he skates his best! :)

schiele

Final Flight
Yes, despite her bad rep with some ppl, I think Surya is still very well remembered and her final act of defiance as an end to her career was one of the memorable things for me. I think she did what she wanted there and probably doesn't regret it.
While I dont wish this to be the end of Brian's career, it might be his last olympics so I wish him a skate tonight that makes him proud even when he looks back after many years..
Danale, is this better now? :biggrin::biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I came too!:D The forum updates insanely quick and I have to prepare my lunches for tonight!!!!
What are we gonna drink???Pop corn??
Now fluff of joubert was adorable, I smiled. He has the same brand of dog like Plushy, Blade is her name???Plushy's is Golden. The thing is kiss and cry i didnt find what he said insulting, he was frustrated and broke my heart, i cant imagine his state of mind, so people who were bothered from it, leave the man alone. Olympic spirit and stuff, it was his personal moment. I agree that people have wrong image about Joub, and that comes from me when i met him. He is cute and friendly,and I always trust my view on people, never failed me (i m wise :cool:)

Schiele i read the mail at last and fell off my chair, you should publish it one day!

And Joub if he needs help can go to B!!!!

adoreyuna

Rinkside
No. Brian has repeated (and it has been spread all over the French press) that he'll stay until 2012 - he wants to end his career with a good competition.

Thank you for your posting. Korean Joubert fans were really sad when they saw that article. They don't need to be sad any more. Thank you.