Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Bennett

Record Breaker
I've come to feel that it's anyone's game because you know everyone wants to be clean. And it's the Olympics and just one time event. If I were a skater in that position, it is enormous pressure to think that you have to be absolutely clean at the moment.

Both Joubert and Jeremy said that they didn't know what happened. Joubert's lutz had no axis as if he completely missed the focus at that moment. Oda also looked really nervous. Waiting for the scores, he so naively bared his nervousness. He has been landing fab quads throughout the practices and then he couldn't land it today.

I don't know how one can remain their usual self, but I hope that the competitors tomorrow can stay as calm and relaxed as possible.

ARipp42014

Medalist
GM! Only less than 12 hours to go to the Men's Free. I will miss parts of the final flight tonite since I'll be driving home from work and then won't post again until after the result.

Here's some tweets I saw this morning:
Jeremy: 6am wake up call! Time for bed! Thank you all for the love and support! :D (WAKE UP JEREMY!!!)

And something from our favorite Barbie...
Tanith: First practice at the main rink today. Love the Olympic venue,great ice.Hope it feels good for our men tomorrow.Keep cheering!Go Team USA! fav moment:mad:Evan_Bates getting congrats from fellow athletes after tellin me he got silver in skeleton...he didn't mention it was on Xbox

Bennett

Record Breaker
My prediction:
1. Plushy (I think his jumps are secure enough to put himself here)
2. Evan (May be most likely to go clean, but not totally sure actually because it's the Olympics; yet he's the world champ and judges love him, too, so that he could afford making some mistakes)
3. Nob (if he is calm enough; he seems VERY nervous)
4. Dai (I think that he will impress us, but wouldn't be clean, esp with the success rate on that quad, he'd open the door)
5. Steph (I don't see him go clean; but would stay here with good PCS)
6. Johnny (He seems among the most relaxed one in SP and may be even more relaxed in LP; but just doesn't get enough PCS or have a high base value program)
7. Koz (Looks like he may land the quad; don't see him go clean though)
8. Patrick (He doesn't seem very consistent this season)
I think it totally possible that Joubert and Jeremy come back strong to the top 8. But it is so crowded here that I just ran out of the list before including these two.
9. Joubert
10. Jeremy
I wonder which one will do a stronger comeback game.
Verner. I am not sure where he will place. I wonder how well he is physically this season. He seems like having a slump.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I apologiz if this link has already been posted somewhere in GS (can't keep up with the massive information here, sorry.). There are some interesting tidbit in this article from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/vancouver/figureskating/2010-02-17-mens-free_N.htm

The quadruple jump is expected to be the deciding factor. Plushenko may attempt two quads. Takahashi will go for the high-risk, high-reward jump as well. Lysacek isn't expected to try the four-rotation jump due to a sore left foot.

So Takahashi will go for it. Good for him!!!!!!!!!:agree:

Lysacek must perform with the same passion he showed in his short program and hope his component marks and the grades on his spins and footwork keep him in the hunt after he skates first in the final group.

Lysacek is relying on his vast amount of PCS.

In Plushenko's view, only real men do quads. Those who don't should skate next week in the ladies competition.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I am not going to say anything about it. I won't jinx him as I did to my other skaters in SP.:cry:

"I think everyone is chasing Plushenko," says Paul Wylie, the U.S.'s 1992 silver medalist. "He holds a lot of cards in his hands with the quads. But he has to skate, too."

Paul Wylie said.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
its very intersting that american and canadian media have a negative view to quads,,,,

Because american and canadian skaters do not have quards. But want to win. FS is still a big business there.They do need champions. Details HOW to win do not count. Simple.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Because american and canadian skaters do not have quards. But want to win. FS is still a big business there.They do need champions. Details HOW to win do not count. Simple.

considering most of the American media doesn't know SQUAT about skating, it's not surprising that they're downplaying the quad so they can build up the drama between Evan and Plush

that being said... the quad is ONE element in a program... it's not the be all end all... (now two or three on the other hand...)

yangjie

On the Ice

considering most of the American media doesn't know SQUAT about skating, it's not surprising that they're downplaying the quad so they can build up the drama between Evan and Plush

that being said... the quad is ONE element in a program... it's not the be all end all... (now two or three on the other hand...)

i hope a 'cold war' will not happen,,,

Layfan

Record Breaker
I am stunned by everyone crowning Evan champion just because he did a good short.

I think Evegeni will Do his infamous 4/3 and lock up the gold despite a doubled jump later on and his usual ignorance of the music.
I think Evan will skate clean, but without a quad will either remain a distant 2nd or drop to 3rd. As long as he medal and he is happy, I am too.
I hope Dai can hold onto the podium, but so far this year he has not proved that he can skate a great free. My money is on Lambiel to land the two quads and startle us with his spins for a podium spot. La Traviata is an masterpiece.

Strange spot for Evan, skating first after warm up. He is well trained, so maybe that is a good place for him.

I actually think a lot of people are predicting Evan's demise. We'll see. I think skating first could be an advantage for Evan. He already isn't doing a quad no matter what, so it doesn't matter what the other skaters do. He's a stick-to-the-plan skater. In that sense, it could be best he skates before Plushenko does his "Two-quad, I'm the God" thing and Dai or Oda or Lambiel or whoever have perfect skates ... no chance for Evan to get psyched out.

Evan has to be perfect. And then he has to skate his heart out. It'll come down to whether he makes it though his most difficult jumps. If he does he'll skate his heart out because that's just what Evan does. And because he knows he has to win the gold and not just keep the gold like Michelle was trying to do when she skated first in Nagano.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I want Evan to skate perfectly so badly. Just like he did in his Olympic LP four years ago. I don't care so much if he wins or not, I want him to have that perfect program.

I think that if anybody can/will skate clean tonight he is the guy to do it, he just has to control his nerves and the pressure.

Last Predictions:

Plushenko
Lambiel -4
Evan-4.5
Dai-5.5
Oda
Johnny (ironically just where he wound up in Torino).

Layfan

Record Breaker
I want Evan to skate perfectly so badly. Just like he did in his Olympic LP four years ago. I don't care so much if he wins or not, I want him to have that perfect program.

I think that if anybody can/will skate clean tonight he is the guy to do it, he just has to control his nerves and the pressure.

Last Predictions:

Plushenko
Lambiel -4
Evan-4.5
Dai-5.5
Oda
Johnny (ironically just where he wound up in Torino).

Me too, sigh. And Lambiel. I can't bring myself to make predictions.

Oh, fine:

Plushenko
Evan:love:
Stephane:love:

But see this is what I hate about predictions - I'd LOVE for Lambiel to make the podium But I'd be so sad for Dai. And I can't even contemplate Evan or Plushy getting ... no I can't finish that thought!! Arrrghhhhhh!!! I"m so nervous. :eek:

alekzu

Rinkside
Starting to get nervous.... Quad or nor quad? Can Disuke make it? I sure hope so. Pleeeeeaaaaaaase let him make it! But whatever happens, don't give the gold to Plushenko. I'm fine with anyone winning, except him. Even Evan Lysacek. Who btw did a fabulous SP, which is a lot coming from me, since I've never really liked him. Hoping for clean skates from everyone, so we can all enjoy the competition to the fullest. And I'm hoping Adrian will be able to pull off another quad as well, maybe a little bit better than the last one. That said, here is my realistic dreampodium:

1. Takahashi
2. Evan
3. Plushenko

No win for Evgeni. If Nobu or Stéphane want up there, fine by me. As long as they don't beat Dai. (Unfortunately I don't think they can get up there....) Go Daisuke!

figuristka

Medalist
Cannot believe it but i will actually be nervous for Plushenko. I was always a huge Yagudin fan so though i admired Plushenko i was not always wanting him to do the best. Now i feel though the PCS of a skater like Lambiel, or Takahashi should indeed be higher, i think Plushenko's PCS should have been judged accordingly at the previous competitions this season and given him more time to prepare transitions if he felt he wanted to adapt more for the new system.

isask8

Spectator
I can't wait! I'm starting to get nervous already. :D
And I hope I can stay awake. Have to wake up when it's 2 am here. But I hope it will be worth it :)

On the day of, I'm beyond realism - time for desperate hopes, prayers, and cheers!

1-DAISUKE
- DO IT! You're the best and you know it! :bow:
2-JOHNNY - Kill it, girl! Nothing to lose! (no diva smilie???) :rock:
3-PATRICK - C'mon little star, stop talking, pull yourself together, and show your genius! :clap:

Go Dai, Johnny, and Patrick! And go Evan, Brian, Jeremy, Stephane, Florent and Nobu!