Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Soon it will occur. I hope the judges will be more generous with Nobunari Oda, this time. For pure skating, he has so much to offer, and I have a huge soft spot for him. Men's figure skating is changing into showbiz, and I suppose there is no stopping that. It seems that more points are given for audience reaction than for actual skating skills, but to please a general TV audience, perhaps that is what it takes, showbiz flair as compared to fine artistry. Who knows what will become of men's skating? The ISU seems to be looking for money, which means a large TV audience. I think most people are more interested in figure skating when their country has "winners", especially now that the judging system is both arcane and well-hidden behind judicial anonymity. If the crowd has trouble following the evaluations, they will go for the flair. This is not pole vaulting, after all. But I, and others like me, shall miss the thrill of great male athleticism, and the puissant takers of big risks. To set up for a really clean 4-3 combination jump leaves little room for ornamentation, and the same is true of a classically performed triple axel. When I want more ornamentation, I go to an ice show. When I watch Olympic competition, I want the big thrills. I want to see male power and courage. I also love to see true artistry. Best of all, I love to see a combination of all these things, but that is not happening so much lately. The Age of Yagudin in international competition will not come again; I have to accept that. In the poll, I registered as excited by all the disciplines, and I am; but the men's has long been my favorite. I can see, sadly, that is likely to change, given the current trend with its insistence on transitions above attempts to realize the impossible dream. I salute the risk-takers, and I think that Plushenko did not really mean that he and Joubert had *no* transitions, only that they had fewer transitions, because the big jumps make that necessary. I like a little mustard on my hot dog, but I do not want just a bun with a lot of mustard, and no meat. The jumps are the meat.

JuliusFelix

Rinkside
3Lz+4T from Oda? Really?! I also spy a 4T on JWe's list. And a 3 jump combo off the 4T for Lambiel.

This will be great if the skaters go for these.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Most recent trick list, hot off the press in the press room

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_vancouver/MFS Trick List.pdf

12 4Ts listed, 1 4S listed. Weir listed wth a 4T, Plushenko listed with one 4T.

Thanks for the cheat sheet! I guess it's time to play "land or no land?"

Verner: no (but hope I'm wrong for his sake)
Pfeifer: no
Prodigy Boy: no (though he'll be fun to watch)
JAbb: please yes
Javi: doubt it but hope I'm wrong
Joubert: he better (he's got 2) or he'll be eating tons of crow after this event
Kozuka: maybe
Lil Flo: wow 4S is ambitious! I hope he does land it but might come up short
Little Prince: he better or no medal for him
Dice-K: wow he's going for it. Please land it!
Gaga: same as Dice-K
Plushy: do we need to ask?

And as we know... no quad for Evan or the Chosen One

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thanks for the list. It was reported that Brezina landed several clean Quads in practise. Why is he not going for it in competition? What is he waiting for? A special permission slip "You only have been skating fully as a senior for this season, but you are allowed to do Quads!". And what's with the double-axling towards the end of his program every time?

Entire post
Great post and exactly my opinion. Even from a pure logical and athletic point of view, all this "no quad" and "no risks" makes no sense to me, at least not the way it is judged these days. Stefan Lindemann landed somewhere between Joubert and Abbott with a clean short program, 68 points. The exact same jump content as Evan Lysacek. He got 22 points less. Is that really justified? 22 points? The value of 2 Quads and more? Yes, Lindemann had only level 2 steps. But still, 22 points?

schiele

Final Flight
3Lz+4T from Oda? Really?! I also spy a 4T on JWe's list. And a 3 jump combo off the 4T for Lambiel.

This will be great if the skaters go for these.

OMG I was totally shocked at that myself! 3lz 4T combo???? WHAT?????? If true, Oda is truly going for broke and I will be cheering for him, I love his Chaplin..
Oh ok, just saw the more correct list. Just a 4T.. Ok.. Still, secretly cheering for Oda (jinxing issues)..
4S for Amodio! Hmm, hats off and good luck to him as well.

Last edited:

gsrossano

Final Flight
Errors fixed. My enthusiasm ran away with me!

and 13 4Ts lists. Joubert has two listed. Amodio is trying 4S.

JuliusFelix

Rinkside
I was starting to get really freaked out/excited. ;) thanks though.

edit ~ I know we haven't seen it all season, but I was kinda hoping Plushy would pull out that sequence of his. Loved it in 2002.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Seems like Plushy is only doing 1 quad (4T+3T+2L). If he gets a neg GOE on that (that landing looked a little wonky on Tuesday) and maybe one of his other triples (and certain skaters go clean), then it's gonna be interesting to see how the final scores will be.

Here's the top 3's jumping list:

Plushy
4T+3T+2L
3A
3A+2T
3L
3Z
3Z+2T
3S
2A

Evan
3Z+3T
3A
3S
3A+2T
3L
3F+2T+2L
3Z
2A

Dice-K
4T
3A+2T
3L
3F+3T
3S
3A
3Z
3Z+2T+2L

(intersting he's putting the 3A on the 2nd half of his program)

Last edited:

Stefferdoos

Spectator
http://www.iceskatiingnl.com has Kevin VDP doing this: 3F+3T+2Lo+3Lz

What? Is that even possible? triple flip, triple toe, double loop, TRIPLE LUTZ? I'd love to see that

Wouldn't he need to rotate his lutz opposite from the rest for it to remain a true combination since you need to take off from the leg you just landed on. If he changed feet to take off on his normal lutz foot I would think that's really a sequence.

Last edited by a moderator:

gsrossano

Final Flight
Plushenko jump base value 59.3, Lyasacek jump base value 55.0, Takahashi jump base value 61.3. Only a 4.3 point base value advantage to Plushenko over Lysacek. This still can be a real competition.

61.43 vs 58.23 with likely time bonus. 3.20 point jump base value difference.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
Dai's jump layout is very aggressive. He is also going for broke, it's all or nuthin for him probably.. Will be interesting.

Eevun

Final Flight

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_vancouver/MFS Trick List.pdf

12 4Ts listed, 1 4S listed. Weir listed wth a 4T, Plushenko listed with one 4T.

Thank you! I only found your pre-list, guessed it would come another one. Thanks. You're in the hot spot then, right? Must be thrilling! Wow.

So tired, but I can't sleep. Too nervous I think. The thoughts are just flying around in my heads, making 4Ts...

I thought Contesti made 4T, but apparently not.
Great to see Adrian is planning a quad. With out combo, even better. He has 3Lz+2T+2T as second last thing. I wonder if he has any energy left at that time... All the -GOE will take it down... But I believe in you!!