Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

yangjie

On the Ice
i think canadians should feel asamed at patric 's score, its too high.

was he better than daisuke? weir? he always got a high score with mistakes

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I cant believe they did that to Johnny i actually tough he was going to be on the podium, but no!
And congrats to Evan, shame he will have to face the speculation of Plushenko being robbed, but doesnt matter he is the olympic champion:agree:

Johnny was robbed BIG TIME!! I don't think Plushy was robbed--he was very sloppy in the LP. Evan skated beautifully and brilliantly, he fairly deserved that gold medal.

Soldier of Love

Rinkside
lol Whoo! Congrats Evan! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

After KingEP landed the quad and all his other jumps, I thought that's it, he wins. He really thought he had it too. Denied!

Plushenko, the last to skate, held up both index fingers when he finished, as if to say, “Was there ever any question?” As it turned out, yes.

No one loves the limelight quite like Plushenko, and he was in his element. He preened, posed and skated as if certain another gold medal was his.

Source

Plushenko is good, very good, and he certainly knows it and is happy to confirm it to anyone who asks.

Takahashi, perhaps mindful of Plushenko’s comment that ‘real men do quads’, fell on his opening quad toeloop but still closed out his routine solidly for a deserved bronze.

The Russian, who simmers with brooding arrogance, is the certainly the better showman but there can only be one leading man at the Olympics and it’s Lysacek’s name in lights above Vancouver tonight.

Source

Humbleness and Graciousness prevail over Arrogance once again - Not unlike the ladies event in Torino. lol

Our Siberian had her kittens, Sade's #1 and Evan's Olympic Champion over KingEP- Could this week get any better? lol

All hail King Evan! Whoooooooo!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I cant believe they did that to Johnny i actually tough he was going to be on the podium, but no!
And congrats to Evan, shame he will have to face the speculation of Plushenko being robbed, but doesnt matter he is the olympic champion:agree:
Shame about Dai, probably with the ratified quad and other 2 toe of his combinations could have been enough, so glad he won in the PCS, i just enjoyed every single part of La Strada:biggrin:

Ah!! see peeps making it back to the forum.

iscariot: did you listen to the post-competition comentary on 22? The Mexicans thought Plushy should have won ... I thought it was bizarre they compared it to the brian-brian thing....

I agree Dai could have won. what an upset THAT would have been.

ITA about Johhny. ugh.

Iscariot

On the Ice
From now one, its seems everything will be around if you need the quad to win, i am happy that Evan won, not a fan but he worked hard, but really its just a shame that we are going backwards in terms of quads, i just hope to see again someday a quad battle like 2002, in Sochi :(

aurora100

Final Flight
I got kicked off GSF after Evan's skate and couldn't get back on until just now. I assume that's what happened to others. I assumed the site had crushed because I kept getting the message that it couldn't find the network provider for the site or something.

All in all, it was a good night of skating. WELL it was a poor beginning but it was very exciting for the last two groups. I didn't have a favourite in Men's event this year but I agree with the results. I am glad that figure skating is not all about jumping, but about over all skating.

I wasn't cheering for anyone but when I saw Plushy's performance tonight it made me pray that he didn't win but thought it would happen anyway. Glad he didn't. He was shameless, flirting to the judges and having practically no content in the step sequences. He played the Olympic arena is his own living room putting on a show for his close friends in a bad way. He needed to show more deference to the big Event. I'm sure he is a better person than he showed tonight.

Isn't it ironic that Evan beat Plushy in TES and tied with him in PCS? That's really something. Who would have thunk it?

:clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
Top 3 exactly where they belonged. Congratulations to Evan! Skated like a champion. And congratulations to Frank for finally having a reason to smile!

I thought Johnny was gonig to be higher, but poor Nobu! He was skating so well.

I wonder if Dai is regretting doing a quad. If he had done his triple flip/triple loop at the start and a solo flip later on he could have been higher, since his quad was downgraded as was his flip/toe from late in his program. He could have been champ!

Highlight of the night for me: Adrian Schultheiss - escaped mental patient. Love that he did something different. Not everybody could pull off skating to 'smack my ***** up'!

aunm88

Rinkside
I'm so happy for Evan! Not my favourite skater to watch (that would be Dai) but you've got to admire his ability to deliver!

simplymyself

Spectator
It's unfortunate that Evan had no quad, but tonight he deserved to win.
Plushenko was all over the place.
And no one else stepped up besides Evan.

Though being tied for PCS, that's another story.

Lotta

On the Ice
Daisuke winning would give the US and Russian fans a shock and a heart attack. To me, it would have been MUCH BETTER than Evan winning if that had happened. It'll be the shock of a lifetime for everyone there including the viewers and the commentators who counted him out like they counted Shizuka Arakawa out four years ago. But I'm proud of him nonetheless for being the first from Japan to win a medal in men's skating. I'm proud of Evan, too. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I got kicked out of the forum! Now I can finally post.

I am heartbroken for Plushenko. He has never been my favourite skater, but I was really hoping that he would win gold again in his comeback. He'll still be one of the greatest figure skaters of our time though. Who was the last male figure skater to win three medals at the Olympics?

Lysacek deserved the gold though. He must have prepared like crazy for this Olympics and that really showed in competition. Great performance! He's one of the very few skaters who can put everything together when it counts. Superb consistency!

I hated the marks given to Daisuke. I haven't looked at t he protocols yet, but I thought they were wayyy low w hen I first saw him. He was behind Chan and Lambiel, I would have put him ahead.

I thought Lambiel would beat Dai in the LP but Dai would beat Chan. But more importantly, I think Johhnny beat all three of those guys in the LP. Johnny is the biggest wuzrobbed story of the night. Boo!!

Iscariot

On the Ice
Ah!! see peeps making it back to the forum.

iscariot: did you listen to the post-competition comentary on 22? The Mexicans thought Plushy should have won ... I thought it was bizarre they compared it to the brian-brian thing....

I agree Dai could have won. what an upset THAT would have been.

ITA about Johhny. ugh.
Yep, its seems nobody here in Mexico agreed with Evan winning, and yep also, what was that about the battle of the brians? Didnt get the main idea of it,totally diferent situations
BTW they are showing again the long program

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m devastated ...Congradulations to Evan for his win , I m just devastated, I cant believe Plush lost to his non cop friendly jump layout. I would expect pcs but not this. So much effort to skate in Olys and he didnt take any advantage of Cop. And Stephane broke my heart. Johhnys marks was a joke, he deserved better.
I turned blue from crying...Now I dont want to watch fs again.:cry: Maybe i feel better tommorow.

Smuusik

Rinkside
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/va...ws?slug=es-thoughts021810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Basically it sums up my feelings.

But hey!
It's Olympic Games in North-America. Who would have guessed?
It is rather sad to hear all the commentators from different countries saying "Plushenko deserved the gold." He truly did. Nevertheless he is a golden man who comes from the golden era of men's figure skating and nothing, absolutely nothing, changes that.

Hell, now that I think of it. Losing because of COP... this is just not right:frown:

Any sort of rational comments are probably going to come later on for at the moment I simply cannot analyze anything objectively.

Last edited:

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Congratulations to all the medalist, especially Dai-chan!! Great comeback from the injury!

I think he does not regret doing a quad, it's his policy.He seemed to be happy durling the medal ceremony.

screech

Final Flight
If Plush had had secure landings on his jumps, he'd be the O's champ. But his landings were all over the place, though not with obvious errors. Evan's were for the most part easy and textbook. That's where Plush lost it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I got kicked of GS after Evan's skate and couldn't get back on until just now. I assume that's happened to others. I assumed the site had crushed because I kept getting the message that it couldn't find the network provider for the site or something.

All in all, it was a good night of skating. WELL it was a poor beginning for it was very exciting for the last two groups. I didn't have a favourite in Men's event this year but I agree with the results. I am glad that figure skating is not all about jumping, but about over all skating.

Isn't it ironic that Evan beat Plushy in TES and tied with him in PCS? That's really something. Who would have thunk it?:clap::clap::clap:

Yes it's ironic. Just goes to show how much Evan knows how to work COP. Plushy underestimated that. And then there were the shaky landings. I'm torn. Thrilled for Evan, think he won fair and square and that he skated brilliantly. But a 4-3 needs to be worth more.... I don't think it's good that there's basically 0 incentive at this point for men to try quads in competition. That's not to say I think someone who does a quad automatically wins. But still.

Also read somewhere than Plushy missed a double at the end of one of his planned combinations. Guess it was one mistake too many.

I'm so amazed at Evan's skating. Two perfect programs under that kind of pressure. Whew!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I have a vague sense of dread that somewhere not that far down the road, I'm going to be sick of Evan Lysacek. But for now, USA! USA! USA!

screech

Final Flight